Author Topic: Topping Off  (Read 4978 times)

Offline Snakebite

Topping Off
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:32:30 PM »
Can you get more fuel in your tank on the center stand or kick stand or it doesn't matter?

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
Re: Topping Off
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:53:53 PM »
I think we are splitting hair....
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:54:19 PM »
I would say while seated, I fill er as full as I can and then slosh the bike left and right to remove any trapped air.  Is this the safest practice?  Probably not, but, well, I do ride a motorcycle ;D  I never fill up when I'm getting close to home, at over $4 a gallon, I hate seeing it puddled up on the ground from expansion.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
I never even get off my bike when fueling anymore, thank goodness for pay at the pump years ago...  :thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »
Can you get more fuel in your tank on the center stand or kick stand or it doesn't matter?

The difference is probably minimal.  Besides, if you overfill, it is likely to just run out the overflow drain and onto the ground.  And if you super-maxi-fill, you better be ready to drive a dozen miles or so before stopping, especially in the summer, because the fuel is going to expand and escape.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:35:07 AM »
I hate sitting on my bike while fueling, and it's an opportunity to stretch and clean the windshield, etc... so I don't worry about the minimal difference in capacity if it's there.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
The difference is probably minimal.  Besides, if you overfill, it is likely to just run out the overflow drain and onto the ground.  And if you super-maxi-fill, you better be ready to drive a dozen miles or so before stopping, especially in the summer, because the fuel is going to expand and escape.

I myself have max filled up the neck on my bike while on a 530 mile trip to squeeze every ounce out of my range. I got 250 miles before I needed to fill up. that was two times the stops my riding partners had to take. I figured if I'm going to need to stop with the bikes that have a smaller range, I might as well fuel up when they do so I don't bother anymore.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
The tank seems to hold more if the bike is on the sidestand and the fuel nozzle enters from the left. I believe it forces a bit more fuel into the air space at the top / right hand side of the fuel tank. A C-14 will hold just over 6 gallons although draining the tank down far enough to get that much fuel can put you off.

By the way, the fastest places to fuel the bike are almost always on the right hand side of the highway. It is faster and easier to turn right off an exit than left, and the left turn back onto the highway is done at low speed anyway. On a timed trip, if I ride into a oasis of civilization with fuel stations on both sides, I always choose one on the right as long as it looks open (is lighted) and has some type of known gasoline.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »
I hate sitting on my bike while fueling, and it's an opportunity to stretch and clean the windshield, etc... so I don't worry about the minimal difference in capacity if it's there.

+1 on stretching and cleaning...
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
You can stretch on the bike, and as for cleaning the windshield.... you can use that squeegee- thing in gas stations while you are sitting on the bike. Sure you can only clean the  top but then again that is the only part you need to see through. You can also give your visor a quick wipe with the same sponge- it works great.

Some of you people act like you have all the time in the world. What are you riding for, enjoyment?

;D

Brian

+1 on stretching and cleaning...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Spanky

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »
We are not all going coast to coast in under 50 hours that is for sure  :hail:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »
OFFTOPIC:

I am toying with the possibility of doing that same run again this year. I have heard it said that second time long distance endurance rides are like women having second children; it is only because the memory of the pain fades from the first time. It is either that or we are a slow learning group.  ;)

Brian

We are not all going coast to coast in under 50 hours that is for sure  :hail:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 02:44:03 PM »
OFFTOPIC:

I am toying with the possibility of doing that same run again this year. I have heard it said that second time long distance endurance rides are like women having second children; it is only because the memory of the pain fades from the first time. It is either that or we are a slow learning group.  ;)

Brian
Well, if ya do I won't abandon ya 'till ya git back on da road ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:02:35 PM »
Not at all your fault or responsibility Chet. In fact, it was an amusing diversion.

Brian

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 01:05:48 AM »

HMMMmm, sounds like there is a story there someplace......
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.