Poll

What do you think the real reason the old site went down?

Angry Wife destroyed site
13 (34.2%)
An Angry FJR owner joined as a Newbie and took us down
6 (15.8%)
It was time.   The database was getting too large
5 (13.2%)
Too much time typing, not enough time riding
14 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: May 27, 2011, 09:32:12 PM

Author Topic: Real Reason Old Forum was Destroyed  (Read 5372 times)

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
Real Reason Old Forum was Destroyed
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
So my wife thinks an angry wife destroyed the old forum after realizing just how much time we spend on it.   What do you think? 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Real Reason Old Forum was Destroyed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 09:34:43 PM »
I think the government destroyed it with a well placed shot between the eyes after they realized how many contract employees and service members spend time on here.  ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »
She could very well be right! Not to mention bosses, kids, and anyone else we should be interacting with instead. But I love you guys :-*
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Bob

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:37:25 PM »
I'll jump on the wife band wagon. I hear it enough from mine!  :D  But I don't buy the FJR guy theory. Some FJR owners don't leave at all!   8)

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »
The conspiracy theorists feel it was not destroyed. :-/
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »
Database?
Page creation times (at the bottom of every page) were climbing up. On the downside, once we reached 500,000 posts I could apply for "Large Forum" status at SimpleMachines (gold watch, key to the Exec washroom, plastic rubber tree, two windows, all that crap). We were @ like 480,000  :'( On the upside, probably only take a few months to get back there ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 09:57:24 PM »
What I wanna know is if Rick sent the same bug to some other site today ::)  How's that fer conspiracy 8)

sunhunter

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:27:10 PM »
I was unaware (until about 20 minutes ago) of the history surrounding this site and the other.  I surely don't know who all of the players are, really don't care.  I have to say though after looking through the comments from the "other" site and see the same folks I have read here over there, eehh, maybe the reason involves the two biggest problems on the planet today.  Lust for money and or power.  Not looking to open the door to a large debate, just saying this would be some kind of drama over "nothing".  Emotions exhibited like that have to come from something powerful. 

I have found this site to be helpful and has saved me from spending money needlessly and enabled me to learn a ton about the bike I own now.  Nothing but good things.  Never visited the other site much, but thought it may be two groups form the same organization. 

Sad to see the loss of so much info and knowledge from the last bastion of freedom, the internet. 

I can remember the days when users bragged about the freedom of information and exchange of ideas on the web, seems like even simple motorcycle web sites are becoming all about the money and the power.

Offline jholt8

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 12:11:35 AM »
This is/was a great resource. Every single mod I did came for this site. Maybe it was my wife.

Offline incabird

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 09:20:16 AM »
Regardless the reason for the downing of the old forum, I hope this forum continues as it has before. I have been a member of other forums and this is one of the most informative and useful ones I have ever been a part of. The knowledge base and helpfullness of the members is awesome and I thank all those that take the time to share their knowledge with us. What I learned on this forum helped me decide to buy a C14 in the first place. Ride Safe.
2009 Red ZG14 w/typical farkels
Mentor, OH

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »
Silly question,  I get that there was DB corruption, but can't we just restore from a backup and only lose a few days of posts?

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 10:40:28 AM »
If the DB was protected by KiPass, this would have never happened.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »
And just like that we are all again equal  :grouphug: newbies.   well, sort of

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »
Silly question,  I get that there was DB corruption, but can't we just restore from a backup and only lose a few days of posts?

If I understood Ricks post on the subject correctly, the backup was on a RAID array, part of which failed.  So the Backup went poof.

It might be a good idea in the future to occasionally isolate a backup on another system's hard drive, so that if one system chokes/is infected/etc., the isolated backup won't be affected.  Of course, that backup may be months old, but that's better than nothing...

My hosting company provides multiple backups, but I try to keep my own backups on two separate computers when possible.  One of those recently had a catastrophic drive glitch (thanks AVG! >:( ), so I'm down to one backup on a few things.  Which reminds me, I probably should go back up my other websites, etc. today...

I'm voting for "Mama Kaw noticed some of us were STILL riding ZG1000s instead of buying a newer bike, and that this site is prolonging the life of our bikes.  It was either crash the forum or hire the Stride Gum Ram crew..."
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »
I think the government destroyed it with a well placed shot between the eyes after they realized how many contract employees and service members spend time on here.  ;D

i know of a forum that they missed JD.......

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
It is the rise of the fricking machines...I keep trying to tell you people that the computers are going to take over....If you don't believe me just go ask Sarah Connor... or Rick...see what happened when he wasn't paying attention for five minutes...

Idiots...all I got to work with is Idiots..... ;D  :-* ;D

And you think I'm crazy.....geesh!

"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
I think the real reason is that Rick got real drunk while doing some computer work and passed out and spilled his whiskey into the computer to which it caught fire and the only reason he woke up was that the flames were kissing his mustache to which when he was wakened his only recourse was to pee on the burning computer thus sealing the fate of all of us to be newbies again.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »
I spilled wine on my keyboard last night....it wasn't as catastrophic as what happened to the forum.  The only damage was my mouse pad.  It was red wine.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.