Author Topic: Interesting ride today in VA  (Read 8101 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Interesting ride today in VA
« on: September 22, 2012, 07:10:24 PM »
Left from King George early this morning to go to Powhatan CH to work on the county's main server.   Down 301 to 207 to 95 s.  Beautiful morning to ride.  295 to 64 then Oilville.  From there a short cut to 60 and then Powhatan.  Spent about 2 hours there and decided to go visit Dad's resting place in Meherrin and take some pictures of the headstones in the Methodist cemetery.  Thought I knew the way there from Powhatan but got 'lost' on the back roads, which wasn't a bad thing at all.  One of the best things about VA is the two lane roads.  It was a beautiful day and I wasn't in a hurry.  I found fully canopied sections of road that were quite beautiful amongst the farms and fields.  Finally found my way to 360 just a bit west of Amelia.  Wound my way through Green Bay and eventually to Meherrin.  Decided to go through town and see if anyone was about at the ancestral manse.  Just saw my aunt going in to the house and decided to stop by.  My cousin was there as well and we talked for about an hour.  I found out two things....   The cemetery at the church was split.  I assumed, as most would, that the cemetery belonged to the church, but no, it was split into 2 parcels (even though they look the same to me).  One owned by the church and one in private hands.  Strange but true.  I also found out that my grandmother's sister and her husband were buried in the church section so I decided to find their headstones.  Went all through the cemetery and couldn't find them and was starting to walk back to the bike when a tree branch fell which startled me a bit so I went over to look at it and then as I looked up I saw the two headstones I was looking for.  Got a few goosebumps over that, I can tell you.  Some years back my brother was in there looking around and heard things that scared the life out of him and he was Special Forces!  At any rate, I get my pictures and head towards South Hill via Nutbush road to see my wife and grandkids as they are visiting their grandmother in La Crosse.  Eat lunch and spend about an hour under a tree just watching the traffic go by and then it's back home via US1.  Between Warfield and McKenny the biggest bear I've ever seen runs across the road and he is one booking bear (probably running from the Packers).  This thing was huge and I've never seen a bear run that fast.  He was about 50 yards ahead of me.  You just don't expect to see that.  Deer yes, bears not so much (maybe in Chicago, though).  I get home about mid-afternoon and find I've averaged about 51 mpg on my C14.  Most excellent indeed.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Interesting ride today in VA
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 07:16:25 PM »
Sounds like a great day indeed Sparky! Now it's time for you to relax, put the feet up, have a couple martini's and reflect on what a great day it was! Good times!
 :thumbs:   :chugbeer:

Offline packers

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 07:31:08 PM »
awesome, sounds like a great day.  Speaking of weird animals, I was in deals gap last weekend.  On the way back to Florida on the 475 bypass around Macon, Ga I saw a wolf pack with 3 or 4 cubs cross the expressway on the northbound lanes.  The adults looked quite large.  I certainly would want one of those darting in front of me for both our sakes!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »
Sounded like both a great and interesting day for sure. I had a coyote cross directly in front of me the other day, was actually a pretty close call.

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »
Family, backroads, lost, bears.....nice read about the great day,thanks for sharing
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 06:56:31 AM »
51 mpg  ???
I don't think my gauge goes over 42. I wonder if it's broke?
Sounds like a good day Jim.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 07:07:21 AM »
Sounds like a great ride Jim! Thanks for the report.

Ghostliness and Bears.    :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 08:22:44 AM »
It was.  Unfortunately my neck started acting up again even with the Heli Horizons.  I fear that eventually I'll wind up under the knife.  The ride was only about 325 miles with many stops so it has me wondering about anything of any distance.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »
It was.  Unfortunately my neck started acting up again even with the Heli Horizons.  I fear that eventually I'll wind up under the knife.  The ride was only about 325 miles with many stops so it has me wondering about anything of any distance.

I am debating Murphs risers soon, the riding position isnt too bad for me but a little more straight up and higher would be nice. I am about to findout if I will be going under the knife soon, I very possibly and more than likely have a torn rotator cuff. ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 10:44:12 AM »
 :yikes:   Doesn't sound good at all, Poke.  Let me know how it goes.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 04:09:01 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that Jim, how it feeling today?

Hey Poke, how did you manage to mess up your rotator cuff?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 04:37:33 AM »

Feels fine today and felt fine yesterday.  It's going to have to get worse to stop me from riding, though.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 08:04:34 AM »

Hey Poke, how did you manage to mess up your rotator cuff?

I have actually been having some shoulder pain for 20years, but about 7 weeks ago I went offroad/trail on my WR and I have been in seriously pain ever since. Did some pretty gnarly trails and believe all the jarring and fighting the bike did some more damage. Went to the Ortho Doc last Friday, he checked my out and said "doesn't look good". Having an MRI hopefully this week to determine what is going on, have a feeling surgery of some sort is inevitable.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »
Feels fine today and felt fine yesterday.  It's going to have to get worse to stop me from riding, though.

That sounds promising, and stop closing threads when they are starting to get good! >:(   ;D
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 08:50:32 AM »
You have read my signature line haven't you? 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »

I have actually been having some shoulder pain for 20years, but about 7 weeks ago I went offroad/trail on my WR and I have been in seriously pain ever since. Did some pretty gnarly trails and believe all the jarring and fighting the bike did some more damage. Went to the Ortho Doc last Friday, he checked my out and said "doesn't look good". Having an MRI hopefully this week to determine what is going on, have a feeling surgery of some sort is inevitable.

Good luck. So the doc says it doesn't look good, I guess that matches how it feels eh?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »
Good luck. So the doc says it doesn't look good, I guess that matches how it feels eh?

Yeah, and I am a stubborn jackass......imagine that. :battle:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
Really?

Offline Arata

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
I've seen 3 bears in my last two trips to Colorado.

It's a treat.  Two were right by the road as I zoomed by.
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »
Rotator cuffs and neck surgeries, you guys are scaring me.  The recovery time on those is extended. Be certain there is no alternative. I've had the shot in the rotator cuff and felt much better, after 2 years it feels great!
2008 C-14