Author Topic: Tire presser sensor - how it works  (Read 10155 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Tire presser sensor - how it works
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:37:39 AM »
I swear I did a search and did not come up with anything substantial. I just want an understanding how the tire pressure sensor internally works. Does it detect the amount of force being applied upon it? Basically how does it sense the pressure? The reason I am asking is I took the sensor out when I was changing my rear tire and wanted to change the battery. I got a new battery, but it is a PITA to solder a wire to the battery. So what I did is shown in the picture. It appears they fit fine, but wanted to put a rubber grommet on top and bottom to make sure enough pressure gets applied to the disc to make contact. If I do put rubber grommets, the encasing becomes tougher to shut. So was thinking perhaps I can press it in and just put tape around it (or secure it in some other means). But did not want that to cause issues with functionality.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline cablebandit

Re: Tire presser sensor - how it works
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:50:47 AM »
Why not just buy batteries with the tabs already welded on?

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:02:06 AM »
Why not just buy batteries with the tabs already welded on?

.... did not know those exist....
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 07:29:22 AM »
If one doesn't do some soldiering anyway, the battery will go flying on the right bump

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
Digikey won't ship USPS and the other carriers were outrageous.

Head over to Ebay and buy these...shipping is a buck via USPS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370520929093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 08:36:49 AM »
Well, I do not want to wait for those batteries to arrive. So for now, I am securing the battery to the washers using some double sided tape. So far holding good. I do need to put some tape around the encasing as it will not close properly. So, back to my original question, will putting tape around will cause any sensing issue? Undue pressure, etc, etc.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »
I don't think that the tape will cause any issues, other than you shouldn't be surprised when it stops working in the very near future.

Did you try to solder the wires to the battery? If you do, don't get the battery too hot. Use something to scuff up the area of the battery where you'll solder the wire first.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 09:15:47 AM »
Yeah I tried that - scuffed it up and tried to solder - it won't stick. I pitched the battery I tried to solder on and just used a different one. The washers are thick enough that they make contact. My worry is the plastic encasing coming loose. *goes and wraps more tape*
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »
You may as well wait the two days and do it right.  You'll be pulling it back apart when your tape comes off and battery starts flying around inside your tire anyway.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »
Price is right with the at home method repair method since you don't want to wait to have some mailed to your home. Do the fix and get back on the road
But +1 on cablebandits comment, order the batteries so you'll have them on hand when the tape fails.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »
My pressure sensor.

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
The TPS sensors have an on- board chip that directly senses pressure, temperature and centripital force. That isn't goinig to do you much good replacing the battery though.

Your idea of just pressing something metallic against each side of the battery will work OK but may be unreliable as others have pointed out.

You should not solder to any disposable battery, especially a lithium battery. It simply heats the battery too much. A much better way is to use a battery with spot welded tabs on it, and solder those tabs to the buss bars on the sensor itself. You can use standard tabbed batteries, band back the tab and solder a wire between the tab and the buss bar. A different way to go that works very well is to have someplace like Batteries Plus solder on tabs in a custom location (about 45 degrees apart, top vs. bottom) then trim the tabs to tuck down onto the buss bar ends, and finally just solder the tabs onto the buss bar ends. A very solid and safe method. I have done a few sets this way but unfortunately don't have photos (it was during tech day and things were a bit rushed). When I change tires this summer I will also install new batteries using that method and document it with photos for anyone else who wants to do his / her own that way.

Brian

I swear I did a search and did not come up with anything substantial. I just want an understanding how the tire pressure sensor internally works. Does it detect the amount of force being applied upon it? Basically how does it sense the pressure? The reason I am asking is I took the sensor out when I was changing my rear tire and wanted to change the battery. I got a new battery, but it is a PITA to solder a wire to the battery. So what I did is shown in the picture. It appears they fit fine, but wanted to put a rubber grommet on top and bottom to make sure enough pressure gets applied to the disc to make contact. If I do put rubber grommets, the encasing becomes tougher to shut. So was thinking perhaps I can press it in and just put tape around it (or secure it in some other means). But did not want that to cause issues with functionality.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »
The TPS sensors have an on- board chip that directly senses pressure, temperature and centripital force. That isn't goinig to do you much good replacing the battery though.

Your idea of just pressing something metallic against each side of the battery will work OK but may be unreliable as others have pointed out.

You should not solder to any disposable battery, especially a lithium battery. It simply heats the battery too much. A much better way is to use a battery with spot welded tabs on it, and solder those tabs to the buss bars on the sensor itself. You can use standard tabbed batteries, band back the tab and solder a wire between the tab and the buss bar. A different way to go that works very well is to have someplace like Batteries Plus solder on tabs in a custom location (about 45 degrees apart, top vs. bottom) then trim the tabs to tuck down onto the buss bar ends, and finally just solder the tabs onto the buss bar ends. A very solid and safe method. I have done a few sets this way but unfortunately don't have photos (it was during tech day and things were a bit rushed). When I change tires this summer I will also install new batteries using that method and document it with photos for anyone else who wants to do his / her own that way.

Brian

Thanks...

My TPS is not bad - I just get the low battery warning all the time. Figured I try switching the batteries out when I had the tire off.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 01:17:07 PM »
I swear I did a search and did not come up with anything substantial.

I guess it's like Curly (I'm thinking and thinking but nothing is happening!).

I'm going to work on adding some topics like this to the C14 Wiki area so it's more of a one stop shop.  The problem with searching for something like this is that everyone uses different terms and spellings in the threads.  Cripples the search function, it does.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
Yeah I tried that - scuffed it up and tried to solder - it won't stick. I pitched the battery I tried to solder on and just used a different one. The washers are thick enough that they make contact. My worry is the plastic encasing coming loose. *goes and wraps more tape*

It can be done.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 04:05:58 PM »
Did you try to solder the wires to the battery? If you do, don't get the battery too hot. Use something to scuff up the area of the battery where you'll solder the wire first.

Most solder won't stick to the steel casings of such stuff.   Factory uses spot welding.  If CAN be done, but requires the right solder and a VERY hot iron for a very short time (or it can serious damage the battery).

I would not recommend tape.  If it fails, it will be expensive to get the tire(s) off and back on and balanced yet again...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:02 AM »
Awaz, instead of relying only on the tape, try using a zip tie or two, to secure the two halves of the case together.

You can solder to batteries with regular soldering irons or guns, but you need to scrape the shiny coating (non-technical term) off, usually down to the copper or tin underneath, and pre-tin the spot you want to solder the wire to.  However, as others have stated, over heating the battery is really bad, and could potentially cause it to rupture.  If you do this, do it quickly, and use lots of flux.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 06:28:59 AM »
Words words words....

Just de-solder this battery:

Spend three bucks on the nearly drop-in replacement. And solder it in.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »
I had my battery place solder the tabs on. I took in an old battery. Two cost 5 bucks. They were ready in two hours. I did put some tape around mine because when I installed Murphs 90 degree valve stems the sensors would not tighten up completely. No problems with the sensors. I think I put on two wraps.