Author Topic: Forum and member sensitivity to topics  (Read 4541 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Forum and member sensitivity to topics
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 01:10:15 AM »
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Vid

..as in co.VID'

Oh, thanks.  I have never heard of/seen COVID-19 being called "the Vid".  I thought it was about some kind of infamous video :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 05:47:19 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2020, 07:42:46 AM »
Calling it the "VID" is a take off play on words from the term "HIV" referring to the virus that causes AIDS, pronounced like "him" but saying the "V" which is popular in more urban settings.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2020, 09:55:05 AM »
Calling it the "VID" is a take off play on words from the term "HIV" referring to the virus that causes AIDS, pronounced like "him" but saying the "V" which is popular in more urban settings.

Since HIV is an acronym, and vid is a syllable, I don't think that is quite right...but I'm no urban linguistics expert and I also may be overly sensitive to forum topics.  ;D  :stirpot:

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2020, 10:55:31 AM »
English was not my strong point in school, well, actually school was not my strong point.

COVID means  Corona Virus Disease, which I would call acronym

Is COVID a word or a acronym?

Call it whatever you want downtown. ;D

COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2020, 04:15:15 PM »
I think the full name is 'COVID 1984'  ...   8)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2020, 10:20:30 AM »
English was not my strong point in school, well, actually school was not my strong point.

COVID means  Corona Virus Disease, which I would call acronym

Is COVID a word or a acronym?

I wasn't so good in school either, but I've tried to improve since then. I can't say I've had much success but I've noticed I'm much
 better now with;"you're" vs "your"; and "break" vs "brake" and now, once again, I've learned something. I love when that happens
even if sometimes public mistake/correction learning is more embarrassing than other learning. Nothing online is as embarrassing
as examination of some of the lines I've taken through corners, so I get over my online embarrassment easily, relatively speaking.

I believe you are correct Strawboss, and I was wrong about (co)VID being a syllable and you are correct about it being a acronym.  :thumbs:

I still don't understand semicolons but I toss them out occasionally hoping some forum member will be overly sensitive* to their misuse on my part and
will react by explaining them to me, in ALL CAPS if needed.  :D

* see how I stayed on topic there? ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2020, 10:30:25 AM »
I've noticed I'm much better now with;"you're" vs "your"; and "break" vs "brake" and now, once again, I've learned something. I love when that happens

Learning Spanish helped me realize just how insane English really is.

I still don't understand semicolons but I toss them out occasionally hoping some forum member will be overly sensitive* to their misuse on my part

LOL!

I will bite:

I still don't understand semicolons; I toss them out occasionally hoping some forum member will be overly sensitive to their misuse on my part.

At least it is easy for joining related phrases that can stand as individual sentences.  Their proper use when mixed with/replacing commas is a bit more mysterious to me...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
A semi- colon can be used anywhere a period (full- stop for the Limeys and the faux- Limey, Jim) is used. They are essentially interchangeable; a common mistake is the belief that when a semi- colon is used, the two sentences separated by it are somehow 'more related' and so one can be an incomplete sentence but that is not correct.

Example: [I have noticed that it seems that most people simply do not use semi- colons anywhere in writing; which is fine as they are never needed.] The error in this is that the second sentence is not complete and needs a defined noun ("which" is fine, what is which?). Some believe that separating the two with a semi- colon somehow links the sentences so that the second sentence is then complete. But it is not. (this is a sentence fragment with a period: note the capitol letter after the period, this is the only difference in using a semi- colon vs. a period)

I would claim this post is OFFTOPIC but I betcha' more than a few people are annoyed by this short grammar lesson.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

And we still do not have a face- palm emoticon, at least not that I can find.....

Brian (pronounced almost the same as Bryan but in Brian, the 'H' is silent)

<snip>

I still don't understand semicolons but I toss them out occasionally hoping some forum member will be overly sensitive* to their misuse on my part and
will react by explaining them to me, in ALL CAPS if needed.  :D

* see how I stayed on topic there? ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2020, 11:52:01 AM »
I take offense at the 'faux' description.  I'm half-Limey.  Please make a note of that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2020, 12:14:40 PM »
Well then you would be a 1/2- faux Limey but..... you were born here, right? Sorry but you lose your 'Limey' card when that happens, just like Winston Churchill lost his USA card when he was born in England (but had an American mother). Look at the bright side- you CAN be President of the US though.

Brian (got some Limey too but it is mixed with several other 'flavors')

I take offense at the 'faux' description.  I'm half-Limey.  Please make a note of that.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2020, 12:36:12 PM »
Nope.  Born in England.  Citizen here, though.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2020, 12:46:35 PM »
Ah, I did not know, or forgot that! My apologies: you ARE a Limey!

And I believe, if one parent was an American and was in England for secondary reasons, a natural American as well- so you may still be able to run for President. :-)

Brian

Nope.  Born in England.  Citizen here, though.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2020, 01:29:13 PM »

And we still do not have a face- palm emoticon, at least not that I can find.....
 :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2020, 01:52:41 PM »
Ah, I did not know, or forgot that! My apologies: you ARE a Limey!

And I believe, if one parent was an American and was in England for secondary reasons, a natural American as well- so you may still be able to run for President. :-)

Brian

According to the Constitution and a certain Supreme court case around the 1900's, I could very well run for President.  However, I wouldn't touch politics with a 10ft pole, thank you very much.

Ironically enough I could apply for British citizenship if I wanted....quite happy here, though.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2020, 03:38:50 PM »
That is a 'slap face' or "D'oh" emoticon. A face- palm emoticon is stagnant and does not move. A face- palm emoticon is simply a hand over one's face.... I would post it so you could see the difference but..... there is NOT ONE on this forum.

Brian

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
It's what you want it to be, Brian.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2020, 06:50:07 PM »
Well,  not really. Look up face- palm. What you have is head- slapping. Not the same, sorta' like color- colour. :-)

For reference: note the lack of movement.

It's what you want it to be, Brian.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2020, 07:21:11 PM »
Well,  not really. Look up face- palm. What you have is head- slapping. Not the same, sorta' like color- colour. :-)

For reference: note the lack of movement.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2020, 06:55:07 AM »
It's a face palm done multiple times...the smiley is ambidextrous.