Author Topic: Trip report: KLR to California or bust  (Read 31773 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Trip report: KLR to California or bust
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2013, 07:17:20 AM »
Thanks!

Rode the klr 912 miles from mesa as to abiline tx yesterday and last night. Only a couple hours away from the TX off roading meet point for the weekend.

Took a detour and went the long way in nm because a friend said I just have to go here. Great times!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2013, 08:36:24 AM »
Rode the klr 912 miles from mesa as to abiline tx yesterday and last night.
:o Epic adventure :thumbs:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
Anyone heard from Steve?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »
Anyone heard from Steve?

Probably enjoying his time and not on the computer, so jealous...  ;) ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »
Just checked out his thread on ADVRider and no action there either.  He better be having a good time!!  If he is busy harassing hospital staff I will be so pissed!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Just checked out his thread on ADVRider and no action there either.  He better be having a good time!!  If he is busy harassing hospital staff I will be so pissed!!!!!!!!!!!
See now you have n # of mothers. Ride report?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2013, 04:44:47 AM »
 ???
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »
Thanks guys I'm fine sorry I've  been too busy to post up, I owe pics and report I know. Tonight I'm in upstate Fl at Carrabella Beach with SteveJ and his wife. Will have more report soon!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2013, 08:33:26 PM »
Thanks guys I'm fine sorry I've  been too busy to post up, I owe pics and report I know. Tonight I'm in upstate Fl at Carrabella Beach with SteveJ and his wife. Will have more report soon!
Just making sure the ADV Monster didn't get ya!!  No rush on the RR and thanks for the wellness report ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »
Just making sure the ADV Monster didn't get ya!!  No rush on the RR and thanks for the wellness report ;D

Right on, thanks!

I owe some ride report indeed-

So I get near the ADV forum sanctioned "Roll the Bones" Rally in TX.  Things start getting "ranch-ish" TX style everywhere

I get to the rally.  GEEZ I was too busy conversing and riding to take pics.  Although not nearly as extreme as Death Valley, the riding was GREAT.  My bike got this color

Unfortunately the depth of mud was deceiving and this guy got in this deep with a new Yamaha Tenere, flipped him over the front and the front parts of the bike were destroyed

This temp front-end fix got him back to camp

Over 150 folks registered at this event, but I suspect there were more ADV bikes.

D*mn the folks to me to some fine eating establishments.  Nothing smoked in oak or palm tree such as FL bbq.

Every year of this rally they said it has been customary to burn a recliner. This year we did two of 'em

This guy beat my mileage coming to to the rally, he was over 8,000 to get there.  He came from PA.....via Canada! I invited him to a COG event when he reaches FL.  I'll have to square up with Al.

His bike was loaded too.

My KLR played many street and dirt bike roles during the trip.  Also served as an emergency mirror.  Braun makes the BEST tiny travel razor.

Let's do this shave right

So I leave the rally with unforgettable memories.  I ride my colleague Chris's house outside of Dallas.  Whenever I go there I take his son  toy, I want him to remember the crazy guy that shows up on a motorcycle always has a toy on it for him (same way I do my nephews and baby grandson). There is a motorcycle and man in this Target bag.

After a GREAT visit with he and his family, 1st home cooked meal in forever and slept in a real bed, I was off to Louisiana.  An LA friend strongly suggested while in Lake Charles eat cajun at Steamboat Bill's. Wow indeed I suggest do that!

I had gumbo then these deleesh fried crawdad tails

I had clean clothes but decided to "get ahead" on laundry.

Got a room that night and remembered I needed to dry my tent. Instead of a king bed I got a room with 2 queens and dried it.

Fast forward to FL and the bike took the scenic HWY across the panhandle.  It got late leaving Panama City Beach but I wasn't done riding.  Bye bye beach.

I'm on my way to Tampa and my dear friend thats been a huge long distance/sport-touring "influence" says he and his lovely wife will be in Carabella.  OK I detour to Carrabella Beach.  I checked into the hotel they were coming to a day ahead of them.  Yet again it was a b*tch unloading all the camping gear into the hotel.  But the room was rustic and epic, I really enjoyed the stay.

Gear on the old footlocker in room, I guess its how they used to pack for camping

They had interesting books all over the room, wasn't sure if i was supposed to read them or if they were decoration.

Then I saw a pic on the shelf looked sorta' like SteveJ....wth

OK enough of the room, after exhausting myself unloading all that camping stuff I got hungry. "Upstate" FL they smoke with real hickory wood.

Had a great time with SteveJ and Marge.  Then we said our good-byes at the breakfast place

Now this was no ordinary breakfast place. Full of antiques and old guns/pics/knives/etc

Upon a closer look, what was this boy reaching for?

Perhaps my plate because i ordered with a "double-order" of pancakes.  No Atkins for me while vacationing!  I'll lose weight with Atkins after vacation, and in no time

Now in Tampa-

OFF THE BUCKET LIST - ride a 1 cylinder bike across the country and back. The Kawasaki was amazing 7648 miles on highways, desert sand, rock climbing/rock beds, gravel roads, and water crossings. Needed no ADV "support vehicle", repairs or special maintenance, only tires and oil changes on the fly. The spare fuel i took deep into death valley was very much appreciated by a rider on a GS with a smaller tank. I didn't do as well and fell a few times. Only thing i couldn't figure out how to get this bike to do is sail, but i tried! Home in Tampa, what a long strange epic trip

Here is when I tried to sail it

And here are a few the marks/rips as a result of Death Valley get-offs in the rocks

Son of Pappy

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2013, 01:45:27 AM »
Good times!!  Thanks for sharing Steve.  KLRs "Git er dun" for sure, but somewhere close to the surface I bet you have an eye towards an upgrade..  KLRs are bait bikes, set to hook you into the passion of dirt, gravel, and anything else you choose to ride.  As they say, misery loves company ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2013, 07:39:40 AM »
Good times!!  Thanks for sharing Steve.  KLRs "Git er dun" for sure, but somewhere close to the surface I bet you have an eye towards an upgrade..  KLRs are bait bikes, set to hook you into the passion of dirt, gravel, and anything else you choose to ride.  As they say, misery loves company ;D

Yes sir, After this ride and a taste, I'm fairly sure I'll be going back in my truck to do Baja Mexico/CA, Death Valley again (and again and again), abandoned gold mines in Nevada and California that are so remote they are not fenced off and some not even known about, and off-roading in Utah.  Next trip to southwest will probably be with my Tundra/tools and a 'lil something orange in the back that requires very frequent oil changes!  Hopefully I can squeeze a couple of your rides in there next trip out west and if not they'll be trip after

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2013, 07:56:05 AM »
For the last couple of weeks I was living vicariously through you. That trip looked EPIC!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »

^ This must have been the 'or bust' part mentioned in your thread title.  ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »
Yes sir, After this ride and a taste, I'm fairly sure I'll be going back in my truck to do Baja Mexico/CA, Death Valley again (and again and again), abandoned gold mines in Nevada and California that are so remote they are not fenced off and some not even known about, and off-roading in Utah.  Next trip to southwest will probably be with my Tundra/tools and a 'lil something orange in the back that requires very frequent oil changes!  Hopefully I can squeeze a couple of your rides in there next trip out west and if not they'll be trip after
1190ADV-R?  :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »
Awesome Steve!  :hail: :chugbeer:

Offline PH14

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »
Great trip Steve! I'm jealous. I seriously want a KLR. How many miles did you do total and how did the tires do? Did you replace any along the way?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »

^ This must have been the 'or bust' part mentioned in your thread title.  ;)

That isn;t my bike but the trip was a bust for him indeed unfortunately.  Roll the Bones rally in TX had some dirtiness/deep mud/obstacles, but nothing INSANE like the whole death valley ride I was on the week before

1190ADV-R?  :)

I'm thinking the lighter side...next trip I want to go out with a 500 EXC-W or such (in the back of my Tundra truck!) and maybe stay out there working from home during the weekdays combined with vacation for some mexico and death valley time :)

Awesome Steve!  :hail: :chugbeer:

Thanks!

Great trip Steve! I'm jealous. I seriously want a KLR. How many miles did you do total and how did the tires do? Did you replace any along the way?

Thanks - The KLR was amazing 7648 miles on highways, desert sand, rock climbing/rock beds, gravel roads, and water crossings.  The rocks munched on rear tires.  I went through two rears total this trip, one I ate up in Death Valley weekend alone, (that was the rocks). We had put it on in Vegas just for DV. It was a Continental (Twinder-80 or such knarley)

Offline PH14

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »
Considering the Death Valley day, that is great for tires. I have always loved the KLR. I used to take one out to play all the time when I was helping at a dealership. It is a great value.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2013, 06:45:42 AM »

My first dual sport was a DRZ400S, then went to the '08 KLR 650, and replaced it with the '12 KLX 250.  An upgrade in off road capability for sure, but not cross country travelling.  IMO, you have to either have life long off road skills, be built like a linebacker, or be prepared to pick up an adventure touring bike a lot if you ride off road.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077