Author Topic: The other concours forum with membership fee  (Read 2751 times)

Offline zhangjx0545

The other concours forum with membership fee
« on: October 19, 2020, 10:59:15 AM »
Hi there
I notice another concours forum, COG, which requires membership fee.
Anyone is a member of that forum? What benefits could justify their cost?
Thanks
JX

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

Re: The other concours forum with membership fee
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:56:34 PM »
I'm a 'forum subscriber member' - ne fees to read or post replies.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »
Sounds like the shot heard 'round the world has not made it all the way 'round yet.....

:-)

I'm a 'forum subscriber member' - ne fees to read or post replies.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 07:57:33 PM »
COG was a dues required club before the forum was set up, providing a regular mailed hard copy newsletter and national and regional riding events. A forum was added to provide an internet presence and to attract dues paying members. It was only recently decided that non dues paying subscribers would be restricted after 6 months.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 08:59:51 PM »
 :o    I haven't seen MOB on there since the change.  Curious?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »
Hi there
I notice another concours forum, COG, which requires membership fee.
Thanks
JX

The fee is not to be on the Forum. The fee is to become a Club Member.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 04:18:57 PM »
:o    I haven't seen MOB on there since the change.  Curious?

It is always perilous answering for another, kinda goes double for MOB....however....you may notice he hasn't posted here either.

He's going through chemo treatment and I hear that can tire out almost anyone.
 Best wishes MOB, you look better without hair anyway, of course YOMV.

Offline Rexter

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 09:53:57 PM »
The fee is not to be on the Forum. The fee is to become a Club Member.

Ride safe, Ted

After Feb 27 for current forum subscribers, your account will be restricted to read-only. To post and reply, you will have to become a dues-paying member.

New forum subscribers will get a 6 month trial, but then roll to read-only unless they py dues.

For me, it was nice while it lasted.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »

Same........
IBA #18591

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 04:37:37 PM »
Thanks
JX

I've been a member over there since 2011 or 2012. The one big benefit for me is the members handbook. This is only a benefit though if you ride cross country much which I do & it's always in my tankbag. The handbook has every member in the country listed. Should you need help, a place to stay or just want to stop & visit it list this by their name what they will do. So being given a place to stay or helped out if needed just one time is worth way more than a years dues.

I have never had to trailer anybody, but given quite a few a place to stay.

Then there's that always very nice full color glossy quarterly magazine.

Just my .02.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline Freddy

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 05:53:24 PM »
After Feb 27 for current forum subscribers, your account will be restricted to read-only. To post and reply, you will have to become a dues-paying member.

New forum subscribers will get a 6 month trial, but then roll to read-only unless they pay dues.

It'll devalue the group and site.  As a 15 or more year forum subscriber member of that site (and the one before it) I believe I've given more than I've taken from it.  Living on the other side of the world makes it pointless to pay.

Thanks Jim for keeping this one up and running and free even tho your interests have changed.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 09:02:17 PM »
This here forum seems to have all he expert info that I need and a lot more pleasant. The other one used to have Fred Harmon but I have not seen him post in a couple years. He now  makes a living off his Concours expertise so it would be foolish to give away free advice.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 05:55:19 AM »
It'll devalue the group and site.  As a 15 or more year forum subscriber member of that site (and the one before it) I believe I've given more than I've taken from it.  Living on the other side of the world makes it pointless to pay.

Thanks Jim for keeping this one up and running and free even tho your interests have changed.

;D   With thanks to the forum owner, Rick Hall and the other Admins and mods as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 07:39:10 AM »
. . . What benefits could justify their cost? . . .
Full disclosure: I'm currently a 'Forum Subscriber' on the COG Forum.

As far as I know, the yearly fee goes towards printing and mailing the members list and the Concourier magazine. You also get a bit of a discount on Group ride registration fees. Soon paying the yearly fee will be the only way to participate in the COG Forum.

To me, the printing and mailing seems to be rather costly and old-fashioned, in this era of pdf files and the internet. Maybe in 1992 it made sense.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »
As far as I know, the yearly fee goes towards printing and mailing the members list and the Concourier magazine. You also get a bit of a discount on Group ride registration fees. Soon paying the yearly fee will be the only way to participate in the COG Forum.

To me, the printing and mailing seems to be rather costly and old-fashioned, in this era of pdf files and the internet. Maybe in 1992 it made sense.

Yes I agree but there are some members (many I'm told) that want it to stay that way (paper based). So what should COG do?...I think it's important for the organization
to take care of the members it has rather than worry about attracting new members. The money collected does mostly go to printing but the most important thing it does is give the club financial viability or identity. Before a National rally can take place, contracts must be signed with the venue and insurance must be procured, before a volunteer officer of the club can do this (sign on the dotted line) he or she must know that their personal assets are protected by the club and the insurance. I currently only host one local event a year for COG (and zero in 2020) but I insist on seeing the insurance documents before the event takes place or I will cancel it. It only takes one idiot and his lawyer to take you and your retirement savings to court.
 Now the MSTA has a publication which in my opinion has always been far superior to the COG magazine and yet their forum (despite Lather's excellent administration there of) has very low participation by the membership. It isn't unusual to find that the most recent post is several days old. However they too have regional events and a National Rally and the needed insurance to protect the event hosts/coordinators from potential financial ruin. To me these are the most important things that happen with your dues if you join either or both groups. Additionally there are going to be other costs associated with having a financially viable club. I don't know it for a fact, but I'm assuming that the clubs have to file IRS forms yearly and postage costs etc., not just for magazines but for internal club functions when the volunteer officers are scattered all across the country.
 If you don't ever go to events and have no intention of ever going then I don't know why you would join either group despite the low cost of dues.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 04:19:17 PM »
thanks for the kind words. Yes, the club has to file taxes. MSTA got fined about 4500 bucks when a new volunteer treasurer failed to do so. An attorney member volunteered his services and managed to get that fine waived.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 04:21:22 AM »

;D   With thanks to the forum owner, Rick Hall and the other Admins and mods as well.

I second that...... hear hear!!! :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »
If you don't ever go to events and have no intention of ever going then I don't know why you would join either group despite the low cost of dues.

exactly. this is why I left, and i just renewed like a month ago. 1: got tired of posts being slagged with 'join and pay' messages in the responses, which got worse after the 'new rules', and 2: forum access would be dead in 6 mos if i didn't renew. I did but didn't like the approach by 'the board' and really didn't like the 'if you don't like it too bad' attitude. 3: certain members with the snarky expertise with a very 'we know more than you' attitude'. Didn't like that one bit either, and it was allowed way too much.  Decorum rules should apply to everyone.

I have no desire to attend rallies, get printed materials or get help from a club member, just don't need it. I could see that before the days of the web and cell phones, but its archaic. I do remember the old BMOA days and i could def see it then, but now, nah.   No value for me. same reason i no longer have a land line ( and my dad worked for ma bell for 37 years). 
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline PH14

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 06:34:24 PM »

I second that. Thanks Jim, Rick and all others involved.  :chugbeer: