Author Topic: Tire Pressure Sensors  (Read 6212 times)

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
Tire Pressure Sensors
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
had both changed, dead batteries, rear under warranty the front out of my pocket. now the rear shows 5-6 pounds low and the front 4-5 pounds low. i triple checked with 3 gauges, all were within 1-2 pounds. is this something that can be re programed, replaced under warranty, or am i just stuck?     

Offline feelergaugephil

Re: Tire Pressure Sensors
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
Take them back, reprogrammed.
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:54:01 PM »
I am pulling the damn things out, too much of a pain in the arse. ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Blizardj

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
IF   the tires are 90-100 degrees, either because the ambient temperature is high or the tires are hot from being run.  Then the pressure sensors are ok.  The reason is, the guage you are using is not temperature compensated.  But the tire sensors are.

For every 10 degrees or so rise in tire temperature the pressure goes up one psi.  Or in the case of the tire sensors, they subtract that one PSI.

Bottom line...  If the temp of the tires are 100 degees and you put in 46 lbs measured by your tire guage.  The TPMS will show 41 or 42 psi.  a 4 or 5 psi drop.

Here in Las Vegas you need to be aware of this as the cold temp of your tires are rarely below 100 degree if measured in the afternoon.  So we have to put in 45 or 46 psi if we want to run manufactures recommendation of 42 psi.

Hope this helps.

John

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
cold tires, 1/2 mile down the road and 1/2 mile back. pressure readings taken before and after. now with the old tps units i'd check tires cold @ 42 psi. as soon as the dash readings came up they where 42psi. with the new units, tires @ 42 psi, reading comes up as 36 rear and 39 front. sure they increase as the tires heat up, but i'm talking about tires cold.

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
I run mine at 36/38, 42 is way too harsh, even though the manual states.
I found during warm up they are at 35/36, but within 3 miles or so back to my normal needs.
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »
I gave up on mine last year.  They were more bother than worth.   >:(

Dave

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »
Take them back, reprogrammed.

dealer says they're not programmable.
             true or false???

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 03:32:17 PM »

dealer says they're not programmable.
             true or false???

True. If they are not reading the correct pressure, or close to it, there's no way to adjust the readout.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »
True. If they are not reading the correct pressure, or close to it, there's no way to adjust the readout.

Yep.  It is unfortunate too, because it would be super easy for Kawasaki to have made a calibration/compensation factor in the ECU before it displays the pressure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
I gave up on mine last year.  They were more bother than worth.   >:(

Dave

I am getting to that point as well.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »
I would think that much of a difference is unacceptable. I would go back and have them replaced.
Why did you have to pay for the front one to be replaced and not the rear one?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »
I think the main purpose of the sensor is to tell you when you have a serious problem and need to fix a tire, not to give you a minute by minute display of what your air pressure is.  I never even look at mine. 

How can you give up on them?  Don't you get an error message if the transponder isn't broadcasting?  Or do you just get lines when you switch to the tire pressure screen?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »
There will be no error message if there is nothing being sent from the sensors. The 'Low Tire Pressure Battery' warning only occurs because the sensors themselves are broadcasting that signal; once the battery is completely dead (or electrically removed from the sensor, or the sensor is no longer in the bike) any warnings about that sensor will end. You are right in that going to that screen will show (---) but only until the main battery is disconnected for any reason, then when the system reboots, the entire tire pressure sensor screen will not appear.

Brian

I think the main purpose of the sensor is to tell you when you have a serious problem and need to fix a tire, not to give you a minute by minute display of what your air pressure is.  I never even look at mine. 

How can you give up on them?  Don't you get an error message if the transponder isn't broadcasting?  Or do you just get lines when you switch to the tire pressure screen?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 09:21:57 PM »
Why did you have to pay for the front one to be replaced and not the rear one?

the housing on the front was cracked. they wouldn't cover it.

now they will find out if they will warranty the sensors for inaccuracy

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »
got 'er back today. brake recall done and they replaced the sensors again.

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 08:08:24 PM »
I dropped bike off this morning for the brake recall, TPMS and a new PR3.  In at 9am back at 1 PM, 4 hrs total.    All is Good in Newburgh!!

Fred