Author Topic: Melting plastic smell after a ride.  (Read 6874 times)

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
Melting plastic smell after a ride.
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
I just had my bike Dynoed last week and now I've noticed a melting plastic smell after I park it in the garage following a ride. I know where all the fairing mounts and I've also checked what I can see of the pipes and engine and still can't find the source of the smell! I've followed along every surface that I can see where plastic could remotely come in contact with something on the hot engine and can't seem to find anything. I've not yet seen any smoke so I don't have a specific location indicated yet.

Do any of you think the Dyno job and plastic smell could be related somehow? I don't think they'd need to do much other than connect a computer to the PCV module right?  :nuts:
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Melting plastic smell after a ride.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »
good luck finding the source.

might be Kirby's cousin ran into some bad luck around the engine?  http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=169.msg7218#msg7218
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:54:08 AM »
Mines been doing it since day one and I've got 44k on the odo.  Nothing has caught on fire yet.  If you find the cause let us know...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »
I'm sure someone more knowledgable about Dynos and Power Commanders will be along shortly but for now, how about unwanted items placed in the exhaust? Any kids around the bike at unnoticed times?  I know my three year old loves to "play" on my bike and I always have to reset all the buttons and such before I take off for a ride.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
I'm sure someone more knowledgable about Dynos and Power Commanders will be along shortly but for now, how about unwanted items placed in the exhaust? Any kids around the bike at unnoticed times?  I know my three year old loves to "play" on my bike and I always have to reset all the buttons and such before I take off for a ride.

I don't run any add-on gizmos so I don't think it's that and the smell actually seems to come from the front of the bike.  It smells more like burning leaves to me.  If it were, say a plastic bag, caught in the headers I would have found that by now.  It is very strange, though.  One of those mysteries that will be solved eventually I suppose.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:36:48 AM »
Lol it's a PLASTIC smell not burning flesh!  ;D

No kids or anything else to bother Connie in the garage so it rules that out.

I keep it clean and wash the bugs off when it gets dirty. I find it interesting that you guys have found the same thing and haven't yet figured it out as well. I'm thinking about checking the air filter soon and I'll check all the plastics as I'm pulling things off to see if I can find something melted.
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »
Most likely a small oil leak onto the header. Plastic is made from the same basic material as motor oil so they smell similar when very hot. Nothing like that new- fangled plastic made from corn which smells sweet when it gets hot (like during extrusion). And it only takes a very few drops to generate an odor you would notice.

Some oils smell more like plastic than others- I think Rotella synthetic 5W-40 is the most 'plastic like' smell of any motor oil I have noticed. I do not know but would suspect that the more expensive synthetic oils smell like.... burning money.  ;D

Brian

I just had my bike Dynoed last week and now I've noticed a melting plastic smell after I park it in the garage following a ride. I know where all the fairing mounts and I've also checked what I can see of the pipes and engine and still can't find the source of the smell! I've followed along every surface that I can see where plastic could remotely come in contact with something on the hot engine and can't seem to find anything. I've not yet seen any smoke so I don't have a specific location indicated yet.

Do any of you think the Dyno job and plastic smell could be related somehow? I don't think they'd need to do much other than connect a computer to the PCV module right?  :nuts:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »
I get a smell like this from my bike too but only if I'm riding in the rain, or if the street is still wet from rain.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
I get that one too but it is different than the oil smell. I usually get the oil (melting plastic) smell after riding the bike a long way, shutting it down overnight and then firing it up again; it seems that a very small amount of oil seeps onto the header while the bike cools but only after extended running. Maybe I am carrying my fob on the wrong side.... (dress right).

Brian

I get a smell like this from my bike too but only if I'm riding in the rain, or if the street is still wet from rain.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:00:58 PM »
my ZX14 went in 3 times for a tiny weeping going on and that crazy smell from the headers burning it.  Must be a Kawi thing
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »
only have about 5500 miles it the bike.  when I just cruise around I don't smell anything. but when I'm up in the twisties and running higher rpm's I smell something like plastic/rubber. I've looked and looked and find nothing. no leaks, nothing looks like its been burnt, runs perfect!!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
Well, a 1400 cc Kawasaki engine thing anyway. Both the ZX-14 and C-14s use the same valve cover on the same (at the top anyway) head and both models seem to have a common weeping point in the front / left corner of the valve cover.

Brian

my ZX14 went in 3 times for a tiny weeping going on and that crazy smell from the headers burning it.  Must be a Kawi thing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »
I think most of this is coming from a smal drip out of the front exhust cam sensor seal.
After sitting it seems it tends to drop a single drip on the headers, and then stop.
It freaked me out at first, but it only happens when the bike sits a week or so.
I'll goober it and get a new seal when i do the valves next time. To much work to get to it for the simplicity to correct it right now.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline booger

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Burning (boiling) anti-freeze gives off a similar smell.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 06:58:06 PM »
It is hard to describe smells but I have always found anti- freeze to smell 'heavy' and sweet.

Brian

Burning (boiling) anti-freeze gives off a similar smell.