Author Topic: pulsing rotors  (Read 12784 times)

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
pulsing rotors
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:10:58 PM »
Of course there was a wealth of info before the forum crashed about this.  I thought I would say that I had pulsing rotors.  I put a dial indicator on them and had fluctuations of about 10 thou.  I kept reading posts, hoping for a cure with out the huge $ expendature.

I went with FredH and BDF suggestions and pulled my rotors off the wheel and ran a non-directional hone over them and low and behold, no pulsing in about 200 miles.  We'll see if it holds up but so far so good.  I will be testing them out quite a bit Friday and Saturday as I will be blasting around Arkansas and Missouri.  Hopefully, I will remain one of the lucky ones.
T.S.R.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: pulsing rotors
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 06:39:08 PM »
I am getting mine replaced through my local dealer since Kawi approved the warranty work.  I have never had more than just a hint of pulsing but it will be nice to know that the rotors are brand new and have fresh EBC pads.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:52:41 PM »
Thought the carrier was the ultimate issue, not the rotors?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:54:42 PM »
Thought the carrier was the ultimate issue, not the rotors?

I thought it was a continual build up of pad material in certain areas of the rotor causing the pulsing?

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:06:55 PM »
For me, I am carefull about not putting any side load on the rotors(carriers).  I hoped that pad material build up was my issue.  I will know if this was correct after my weekend romp.
T.S.R.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:08:20 PM »
My dealer never measured run out so I will ask them when I pick my bike up what the problem was with my originals.

Offline storminwestie

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:09:45 PM »
Any chance Kawi has a service bulletin on warped rotors? Mine have had a low level pulse almost since I bought the bike.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 07:12:13 PM »
Any chance Kawi has a service bulletin on warped rotors? Mine have had a low level pulse almost since I bought the bike.
None that I know of, but if you talk to your service manager or writer they might be able to get you taken care of if you are still covered by your warranty.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »
There are two basic problems found on C-14 rotors: the first is a build- up of pad material that is uneven; this causes pulsing of the brakes that I would call 'moderate'. The second problem is a warped disc carrier, which can cause pulsing severe enough to blur the mirrors. The first problem can be cured by somewhat aggressive disc cleaning using some type of powered rotary tool although NOT a grinder, sandpaper or anything else that makes sparks. A paint removal wheel works very well. Warped rotor carriers and possibly warped rotors themselves have to be replaced. It is always worth trying to clean the rotors first although Kawasaki has been <generally> very good about changing the front rotors out under warranty.

I promised a photo or two of how to clean the rotors and will be posting them shortly. My new front wheel seals need to be installed and I will show the rotor cleaning method I use when the seals get changed- otherwise I would have to pull the front wheel off the bike twice.

Brian

I thought it was a continual build up of pad material in certain areas of the rotor causing the pulsing?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Biv30

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »
I just took my 2011 into the dealer because of pulsing rotors (after one dealer told me it was just the ABS?) and after taking it for a test ride they got Kawasaki to replace them under warranty.  Now to wait for the backorder for them to be filled......

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:31:08 AM »
   I just got mine done. I had 5 days left under warranty and there was no problem; now I have 2 new rotors, EBC "HH" pads (on the rear too) and fresh DOT 4 (rear too!) and the stopping power is really unbelievable*. The EBC pads took about 150-200 miles to break in, but now they're good-to-go.

* - Initial bite with the HH pads is about the same or similar to stock, but from there it just gets better. Really lean on it and I swear you can leave eyeball prints on the visor!
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 05:35:32 AM »
I had both of mine changed also. It was the carrier that was the problem. I have been thinking of changing to the ebc pads too because I remember reading on the other forum that they were easier on the rotors than the stock pads.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 10:37:02 AM »
I had a call from a Kawasaki quality engineer.  He was actually calling about my broken top case bracket which was replaced under warranty.  After that conversation I asked him about the rotor problem.  He said they are actively working on it, but don't have a definitive solution yet.

Meanwhile, mine pulse moderately, but not enough for me to give my bike up for two weeks.  I'm ready for new front brake pads, so I'll try cleaning the rotors and see what happens with the new pads.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »
Nice avatar Cold Streak!

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 08:54:53 AM »
Nice avatar Cold Streak!

Thanks ZG.  I've resembled that dog on more than one occasion.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »
Lee's Kawasaki in Harodsburg, Ky just replaced mine. The measured the runout on one day while I waited. took about 15 minutes. They ordered the rotors, and gave Me a call when they arrived on Tuesday. I went in on Wednesday and they replaced them while I waited.  Took about 45 minutes. Great bunch of folks there.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline booger

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:02:16 PM »
I'm going to take mine in and have it checked.  I not getting a strong pulsation, but something doesn't feel "quite right".  Bike is new to me (09 w/ 5300 miles).

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
i have a 2011 connie with 1300 miles on it . i noticed after hard braking and heating up the rotors i was getting a bit of pulsing that actually shakes the fairing.  WTF!   it goes away when it cools down, what is this????????   you guys getting the same thing on 2011's ?

bob

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »
Oh bother....  This isn't good news at all.  Sounds like you deposited some brake material on the rotor or it 'warped'.  I would take it in to the dealer and let them have at it..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »
dealer has it , lets see what they say.  you shouldnt be able to warp a rotor on this bike.