Author Topic: Math Question  (Read 10599 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Math Question
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »
HIGH THREAD DRIFT CURRENTS AHEAD:

Interesting thing going on in some cities and towns where I live, regarding aftermarket exhausts and LEOs. A twist of the application of the law for a totally unintended consequence.

Exhausts, just like vehicle outside lighting, etc., are all type certified by DOT. The exhaust systems on motorcycles have a very small stamped number showing that they are type certified for, say a C-14 (but not a ZX 14: swapping one for the other is NOT legal). Now normally LEO's just do not bother with this at all. But after the last decade or two of motorcycles pounding the eardrums out of the mass population, some communities have decided they have had enough. And those cities and towns are well posted that if you violate exhaust rules, there will be harsh penalties (large fines). Now for the twist: LEOs stop excessively loud motorcycles of a type and brand we all know, then look at the exhaust for that type certification.... and of course, as an aftermarket system, it is not here. And then the truly painful ticket for a non- conforming exhaust. Note that they are never charged / fined / accused for excessive noise.

This system actually works and seems to be, so far, a workable loophole. Now, it is in fact the noise that causes the stop in the first place, and the actual desire to cause the fine but is not used as a reason because there are strict parameters for a noise test. But the same check is just not performed on any motorcycle that does not rattle anyone's windows on the way by. I guess we could call it 'selective enforcement' of a valid law.

Over the last few years this really proving to be effective; those two cylinder, miss- timed thumping bikes may still have a bit of a growl but nothing like it used to be.

It ain't quite right, and is not and never was the intent of the law but it does work and so far, has not been challenged as discriminatory. Probably all because those running at 100+ decibels know they are 'coloring outside the lines' in the first place. Plus it is hard to challenge the fact that excessive noise was probable cause for a stop but was not used in any way to issue a citation.

Brian
And yet the first thing that perhaps 90%+ of motorcycle owners do is immediately slap on an illegal/unapproved muffler to make the machine "louder" so it "performs" better.   ::)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »
The wonderful Morphing Thread.  I swear, all I did was to go out and check the mail and come back to find we are now talking about exhausts/noise.  What happens when I go away for a short while to, say, chase a raccoon out of the garage?  Are we then gonna be talking about coconuts and the capabilities of African Vs. European swallows to carry them?  Which, come to think of it, would be fun.  I love a good Python goof.   :P

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 02:41:39 AM »
But after the last decade or two of motorcycles pounding the eardrums out of the mass population, some communities have decided they have had enough. And those cities and towns are well posted that if you violate exhaust rules, there will be harsh penalties (large fines).

I certainly wish they would do that here.  And throw in boom-box cars, too.

The wonderful Morphing Thread.  I swear, all I did was to go out and check the mail and come back to find we are now talking about exhausts/noise. 

You gotta keep up!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 03:59:50 AM »

Staying on the exhaust front , over here  a pre 1983 bike doesn't need any sort of mark on it nor is it subject to any decibel limit ,.

Post 1983 as lon as the exhaust is stamped with the relevant British STandard or equivalent International kite mark then you're good. Ther eis a 80db level for new bikes from 97 onwards  however for the annual MOT it must not be "excessivly noisy" (which is at the testers discretion)

Either way if the can has "Not for Road/Highway Use" stamped on it then it is not legal.

HIGH THREAD DRIFT CURRENTS AHEAD:

Interesting thing going on in some cities and towns where I live, regarding aftermarket exhausts and LEOs. A twist of the application of the law for a totally unintended consequence.

Exhausts, just like vehicle outside lighting, etc., are all type certified by DOT. The exhaust systems on motorcycles have a very small stamped number showing that they are type certified for, say a C-14 (but not a ZX 14: swapping one for the other is NOT legal). Now normally LEO's just do not bother with this at all. But after the last decade or two of motorcycles pounding the eardrums out of the mass population, some communities have decided they have had enough. And those cities and towns are well posted that if you violate exhaust rules, there will be harsh penalties (large fines). Now for the twist: LEOs stop excessively loud motorcycles of a type and brand we all know, then look at the exhaust for that type certification.... and of course, as an aftermarket system, it is not here. And then the truly painful ticket for a non- conforming exhaust. Note that they are never charged / fined / accused for excessive noise.

This system actually works and seems to be, so far, a workable loophole. Now, it is in fact the noise that causes the stop in the first place, and the actual desire to cause the fine but is not used as a reason because there are strict parameters for a noise test. But the same check is just not performed on any motorcycle that does not rattle anyone's windows on the way by. I guess we could call it 'selective enforcement' of a valid law.

Over the last few years this really proving to be effective; those two cylinder, miss- timed thumping bikes may still have a bit of a growl but nothing like it used to be.

It ain't quite right, and is not and never was the intent of the law but it does work and so far, has not been challenged as discriminatory. Probably all because those running at 100+ decibels know they are 'coloring outside the lines' in the first place. Plus it is hard to challenge the fact that excessive noise was probable cause for a stop but was not used in any way to issue a citation.

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »
I certainly wish they would do that here.  And throw in boom-box cars, too.

Since this topic seems to be wandering, I'll throw in a related (hopefully amusing) tale...

We had a townhouse at the end of a row of townhouses, and just over the fence was a convenience store that was turning into a hangout for 3 or 4 cars with LOUD stereos, and they liked to compare volumes between the vehicles, and apparently the best time of day to do that was just after the store closed - around midnight... 

To further exacerbate the problem, they did seem somewhat concerned about their hearing, and were wearing earplugs so as not to deafen themselves inside the vehicle, despite not worrying about the affects to anyone else's hearing (say in a 200 yard radius or so...) This just made it possible for them to turn up the volume way past the pain threshold inside (or even near) their vehicles.

One night I wandered over and pretended to admire the "noise" until close enough to be invited to lean into the window to "see" the equipment, at which time I pulled out a "canned-air horns" from a pocket. and shoved my arm into the car, where a couple "loud-stereo" owners were sitting, and pulled the trigger, emitting a >100  decibel blast.  The occupants had removed their earplugs to be able to speak with me without resorting to anything so crass as shouting...

It didn't go over well...  I was accused of attempting to deafen them, and castigated for showing no concern for their "aural" well-being.
(I was even threatened with physical violence - but being twice the size of any one of them, it was not a great worry of mine, and it was just bluster in any case. (Could have been worse, I guess, but I hadn't considered that... maybe stupid on my part...)

At this point, I mentioned that several of us in the development had been discussing possible solutions, and that this one had seemed at the time, to be the most pacifistic (and least likely to produce assault charges), and that to avoid any escalation, they might pick another location to demonstrate the abilities of their sound systems.

They did.

I still can't forget the looks on their faces as I held the horn inside their vehicle - it must've lasted 15 seconds or so before they overcame their shock and incredulity and pushed the horn away...  To quote the credit card commercial,  ...priceless...

Disclaimer : I won't normally suggest any sort of vigilante action, but with 2 toddlers in the house being woken up every other night for a couple weeks by these guys, and having the bylaw officer not showing up on any of several occasions, I was angry enough to implement this plan. Fortunately it worked.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »
Yeah.... kids.

The biggest problem with things such as this example is that the anger builds and builds without those causing it to realize it (the anger) is even happening. Unfortunately, this all too often results in the very first meeting of the annoyed and the annoy-er(s) being very heated. No one's fault really (assuming the kids were just young, foolish and inconsiderate as most kids are, and not really trying to provoke outright hostility), just the result of people living close together and behaving as if they were not affecting anyone else.

Kinda' like a road rage incident without the road part.

Glad that worked out OK for you and 'them'. Often, it does not work out for either party; one suffers immediately while the other one suffers over a longer period of time because 'the wheels of justice turn slowly'.

Brian

Since this topic seems to be wandering, I'll throw in a related (hopefully amusing) tale...

<snip>

Disclaimer : I won't normally suggest any sort of vigilante action, but with 2 toddlers in the house being woken up every other night for a couple weeks by these guys, and having the bylaw officer not showing up on any of several occasions, I was angry enough to implement this plan. Fortunately it worked.

Jamie
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »
Well, seeing as we do not seem to be dealing with math much, let's move onto the nerd part.

The Coriolis effect is usually very difficult to detect, does not generally make itself obvious and we just about ignore it. But now and again, it shows up and when it does, is almost always is a big enough problem that it cannot be ignored.

Artillery always has to contend with the Coriolis effect, and the longer than range, the worse the effect. The worst case would be the longest range gun ever used, know as the Paris gun used to shell Paris (duh) by the Germans, from behind their lines, during WWI. The gun had a range of just over 80 miles (!!!) and the projectile had a flight time of three minutes. The Coriolis effect is really quite simple: as the Earth rotates, what appears to be a fixed target, such as Paris (it does not appear to be moving), actually is moving and travels a significant distance during that gun's projectiles' travel time. Calculations show that without compensating for this effect, the point of impact would be moved ~ one kilometer, well over 1/2 mile, from point of aim.

For all your nerdiness needs: http://www.vcsp.info/Chapter_8/Application_to_Long-Range_Artillery_-_Shelling_Paris_in_WW1/Shell_Trajectory_in_Atmosphere_on_a_Rotating_Earth.aspx

And that was not a big gun such as Schwerer Gustav was either.  :yikes:

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Well, seeing as we do not seem to be dealing with math much, let's move onto the nerd part.

The Coriolis effect is usually very difficult to detect, does not generally make itself obvious and we just about ignore it. But now and again, it shows up and when it does, is almost always is a big enough problem that it cannot be ignored.

Artillery always has to contend with the Coriolis effect, and the longer than range, the worse the effect. The worst case would be the longest range gun ever used, know as the Paris gun used to shell Paris (duh) by the Germans, from behind their lines, during WWI. The gun had a range of just over 80 miles (!!!) and the projectile had a flight time of three minutes. The Coriolis effect is really quite simple: as the Earth rotates, what appears to be a fixed target, such as Paris (it does not appear to be moving), actually is moving and travels a significant distance during that gun's projectiles' travel time. Calculations show that without compensating for this effect, the point of impact would be moved ~ one kilometer, well over 1/2 mile, from point of aim.

For all your nerdiness needs: http://www.vcsp.info/Chapter_8/Application_to_Long-Range_Artillery_-_Shelling_Paris_in_WW1/Shell_Trajectory_in_Atmosphere_on_a_Rotating_Earth.aspx

Brian

So we need to know if Tree was traveling along a longitudinal or on a latitude line to figure out if the corollas effect effected his mileage to more accurately determine the break even point with the flash  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 02:43:35 PM »
Right. And maybe even more importantly, he may not have been where he thought he was when he filled up his fuel tank in the first place.

The plot thickens....

Brian

So we need to know if Tree was traveling along a longitudinal or on a latitude line to figure out if the corollas effect effected his mileage to more accurately determine the break even point with the flash  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 03:54:53 PM »

Brian

So if I could hover in the air over a fixed spot for a few days, does that mean that spot will eventually move away from me?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »
So if I could hover in the air over a fixed spot for a few days, does that mean that spot will eventually move away from me?

The corollas effect doesn't have as much to do with the fact that the target is moving (so is the gun) but the fact that due to the curvature of the earth it is moving at a different rate if it is at a different latitude.

Offline olie

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »
Should be a fedgov subsidy for the flash since it improves mileage therefore reduces the carbon footprint.
... for sure the Flashing developers have tested all those compete emissions to be in compliance with EPA and EU Directives  ;)  .... probably they sell the magic Flash just to be used just on the race tracks ;)

For some it is time to get Leaded Gas, no Sulfur restriction, no APC systems, open exhausts, etc... for those it will be the time to smell those exhausts.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 05:53:21 PM »
... for sure the Flashing developers have tested all those compete emissions to be in compliance with EPA and EU Directives  ;)  .... probably they sell the magic Flash just to be used just on the race tracks ;)

Yeah, I always love those [necessary] disclaimers "to be used off-road only" "race-track use only".  To sell it outright for general use or at a dealer or something would require extensive and expensive testing and probably would not pass anyway.  One of the reasons performance is hurt by factory programming is exactly to pass restrictive emissions, fuel economy, and noise regulations.

I could feel the exact same lack-luster dead zone in the Concours, pre-flash, that I had on my previous bike, *carbureted* ZRX-11 (which was fixed with the mechanical equivalent of some of the ECU flashing- a "jet kit").
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 06:21:20 PM »
Yeah, what Max said although I would put a little different twist on it: very small amounts of 'violation' are tolerable and ignored. There just are not enough C-14's that are ever going to get their ECU's altered that it will make any difference to the planet and so it will not get the EPA's attention. Sort of the way speeding is illegal but no one cares about a 'few' MPH over the technical limit but serious offenders are ticketed.

The aftermarket 'engine controls' modifiers are not all immune though because if it gets scaled up, it does show up and draws attention as well as sanctions. Take DynoJet, they sell aftermarket vehicle add- on engine control modifying hardware but it can be used on a great many motorcycles rather than just one model (C-14) of one brand (Kawasaki). So stamping something that violates EPA rules of road use with 'For off- road use only' no longer works as an escape clause. The state of California successfully sued DynoJet for selling these 'off road' units to more vehicles than exist in the state for track use in the first place, which basically destroyed DynoJet's excuse that they had no idea these units were being used illegally, on road vehicles. If memory serves, the settlement was seven- digits and installed limits on future business w/in the state.

Brian

For some it is time to get Leaded Gas, no Sulfur restriction, no APC systems, open exhausts, etc... for those it will be the time to smell those exhausts.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »

wow, can we buy leaded gas again? I'll have to get rid of the cat but it'll be worth it.  ::)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
That definitely is a problem if the trajectory crosses a lot of latitude but even if the trajectory is directly in- line with the equator, the Coriolis effect will cause a ballistic trajectory to fall significantly short or go significantly long; both ways miss the target entirely.

The root problem is that if two distant objects are connected, all is well but when a projectile leaves the muzzle of the launching device, it is no longer being held at the velocity of the rotating planet and so slows its original velocity in the direction of Earth's rotation in flight. The target though is still connected to Earth, continues to maintain rotational speed and basically moves away from the place the projectile is now headed for. If there were a set of rails connecting the two points (launch point and desired landing point) and the projectile rode along those rails, the Coriolis effect again would not be noticed.

But all of this follows much, much bigger problems starting with the ability to build a device, rifle or artillery, that will generate the problem in the first place, and then having the abilities, both skill as well as sufficient optics for sighting, range- finding, etc., to have the trajectory problem in the first place. If Krupp could design and make the artillery, and they did, then they could certainly dig up a nerd with a slide rule to tell the A- gunner where to REALLY aim. And most ordinary humans with the finest small- arms available simply do not have the skill to have this effect be the or 'a' major problem; the very best of us (humans) can put 10 rounds onto a target at 1,000 meters (~ 5/8 of a mile) into a group UNDER 3".... something I am pretty happy with at 300 yards on my better days.

Brian

The corollas effect doesn't have as much to do with the fact that the target is moving (so is the gun) but the fact that due to the curvature of the earth it is moving at a different rate if it is at a different latitude.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »
Absolutely, and you always could. Stop by the local airport and pick up some 100 octane LL AvGas. The LL stands for Low Lead but do not let that fool you- there is a lot of lead in the stuff, just like in the olden' days. Get all you want, bring money.

Brian

wow, can we buy leaded gas again? I'll have to get rid of the cat but it'll be worth it.  ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »

Never, ever, get rid of the cat!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 06:51:49 PM »
Well, not really a valid question.

If you 'hover over a fixed spot', you would have to put in whatever corrections were needed to maintain that position and so the spot could not move away..... so to speak.

If you simply moved vertically, without any side- motion compensation, you would drift away rapidly but not due to the Coriolis effect but rather because of wind. Think hot air balloon: as soon as they break the tether they drift off.

Maybe the easier way to think of it would be if one were returning to the surface from a great altitude, maybe from orbit for example. If all things were correct and a path plotted that would put the object in a specific point when it landed, and the it was 'let go' and not directed in any way and did indeed follow the path predicted..... it would miss because the target would be in a different place than it was when the device was sent (let go) in the first place.

Not really much of a problem in daily life but hey, now that you know all this stuff, you can try to explain to your wife that there is a "Highly active Coriolis effect Zone" around your toilet and YOU are not REALLY missing, the toilet is not where it was when you.... well, you know. Which is what I suspect was happening at this poor woman's house: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4586394/Mother-leaves-notes-toilet-help-sons-aim.html

Brian

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »
Absolutely, and you always could. Stop by the local airport and pick up some 100 octane LL AvGas. The LL stands for Low Lead but do not let that fool you- there is a lot of lead in the stuff, just like in the olden' days. Get all you want, bring money.

Brian
Aerodromes arent supposed to sell avgas for road use.
You can go to the local race shop and buy leaded gas in cans or if they have a pump fillerup.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!