Author Topic: Bike tipped over. Hydrolock?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Coniferous

Bike tipped over. Hydrolock?
« on: January 22, 2019, 11:44:03 AM »
I'm a negligent bike owner and let my bike get tipped over by a horse and left there for probably a month. I havent turned it over yet since then. Do I need to worry about hydrolock from gas draining out of the carbs? What would a responsible zg1000 owner do in this scenario? It was tipped on,its left side. I think I drained the carbs before I stored it but I'm not 100 percent sure on that and dont want to total my bike. Any advice appreciated...

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Bike tipped over. Hydrolock?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 11:52:34 AM »
Just draining the carbs won't help if you got gas in the cylinders. You could remove the spark plugs lay down a towel on the holes and spin the motor so that any gas in there is shot out. Make sure no gas gets close to the plugs or wires. You'll catch fire. Disconnect them.

These bikes have hydrolock issues. You should read up on it. Lots of info online.

Offline Coniferous

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 12:08:29 PM »
Thanks for your reply. What I meant was that I drained the carbs before it tipped so hopefully gas wouldnt get in the cylinder? I know about the hydrolock issues, I just couldnt find any information about if it happens simply from the bike tipping over. Sounds like disconnecting the coil and pulling plugs and turning it over is the smart thing to do just in case? I guess thats easy enough.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 04:33:55 PM »
You left the horse for a month?  :o

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 05:30:03 PM »
Ha. Ha. It would be nice if you could love your bike a little more. Some of us think of you leaving your bike on its side in a pile of horse poop-- an act of heresy!  :P

Normally you should not get any gas in the cylinder(s). But if your petcock is faulty then fuel could run into the carbs and perhaps get into the cylinder albeit it unlikely if it is working against gravity. Still better to check.

Offline route66tc

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 12:13:08 PM »
I'm a negligent bike owner and let my bike get tipped over by a horse and left there for probably a month. I havent turned it over yet since then. Do I need to worry about hydrolock from gas draining out of the carbs? What would a responsible zg1000 owner do in this scenario? It was tipped on,its left side. I think I drained the carbs before I stored it but I'm not 100 percent sure on that and dont want to total my bike. Any advice appreciated...
At least you're honest and showing a bit of remorse for your lack of give a $h1t.  I personally own quite a large amount of don't give a $h1t.  I just couldn't let Connie lay on the floor for a month like that.
DC's advice was good.....take it and maybe keep the iron pony and the real pony separated in the future.  How's your plastics since this happened?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 05:40:34 AM »
If my bike had been lying on it's side for a month, I'd be more worried about oil seeping past the rings and into the combustion chamber. Hydrolock can also happen with oil. Whip the sparkplugs out before ya turn it over, just in case.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
Would this earn one a CDA award?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline route66tc

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 06:59:58 AM »
Would this earn one a CDA award?
It might for the horse! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 08:21:40 AM »
Yep...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline route66tc

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 08:24:21 AM »
Mr Ed: Doctor, I have this overwhelming urge to tip motorcycles! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: