Author Topic: Leaving The Beemers Behind  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Wayne

Leaving The Beemers Behind
« on: March 14, 2015, 04:25:42 PM »
Ever since 2009 I've wanted a C1400. It just happened - a silver, (5K miles) 2011 impeccable condition (anal owner like yours truly) with Garmin, Sargent and V-Stream. That said its not registered yet simply parked in the garage awaiting plates.
Not trying to start an oil thread but 10W40 synthetic is OK correct? When do you boys change plugs and air filter? I'm assuming the seat isn't adjustable?  Looks like the oil filter and drain plug can be removed without Tupperware removal? Any special tools needed?  The plan moving forward (I appreciate other opinions) will change the sneakers to Pilot GT4's, change the lubricants/filter have my shop go over it and plan to enjoy the upcoming season. Am I missing anything?
2004 BMW KGT1200  Sold 2001 HD Low Rider    Sold
2004 BMW 1150RT    Sold
2002 HD Road King   Sold
2002 Kawasaki ZZR   Sold

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Leaving The Beemers Behind
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Wayne. If the oil is motorcycle rated it's fine. Air filter, depending on the conditions it's lived in, my opinion 10-15k. Plugs are good for and extended time. We've seen 25-40k with no ill effects. Oil changes are straight forward. Don't overfill the final drive and don't rotate the rear wheel while filling. Did you get both fobs with the bike?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 04:44:45 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 04:55:19 PM »
 :rotflmao: Way to make an impression on the new guy, Jim.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 05:36:39 PM »
 ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 08:07:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Wayne. :chugbeer:
Just throwing this out there for  the C-14 owners to comment on:
Does Amsoil synthetic have an effect on the clutch as reportedly it does to the C-10 that I have?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »
That oil is fine.

Changing the oil and oil filter on the C-14 is very easy, requires no fairing removal and is as fast or faster than any other bike I have changed oil on. No special tools needed although the oil filters can be on the engine quite tightly and be a challenge to remove.

PR4's are very popular and have a great reputation on this bike (as well as others). Both the PR2's and PR3's were excellent as well.

Best of luck with the new ride. It is a great bike and most who do or have owned one really like them.

Brian

Ever since 2009 I've wanted a C1400. It just happened - a silver, (5K miles) 2011 impeccable condition (anal owner like yours truly) with Garmin, Sargent and V-Stream. That said its not registered yet simply parked in the garage awaiting plates.
Not trying to start an oil thread but 10W40 synthetic is OK correct? When do you boys change plugs and air filter? I'm assuming the seat isn't adjustable?  Looks like the oil filter and drain plug can be removed without Tupperware removal? Any special tools needed?  The plan moving forward (I appreciate other opinions) will change the sneakers to Pilot GT4's, change the lubricants/filter have my shop go over it and plan to enjoy the upcoming season. Am I missing anything?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Wayne

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 04:45:44 AM »
Regarding the FOBs. Yes I received one FOB and a second smaller version that's apparently backup. Thanks for bringing it up. Reading the section in the manual on FOBs is human anesthesia. Should I get a second FOB? I'm assuming these  devices aren't cheap.  I'm not crystal clear on what happens if you lose the primary FOB. You simply use the spare key? Sounds like they brought in the BMW team to design the FOB feature.
2004 BMW KGT1200  Sold 2001 HD Low Rider    Sold
2004 BMW 1150RT    Sold
2002 HD Road King   Sold
2002 Kawasaki ZZR   Sold

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 06:13:51 AM »
http://youtu.be/zsTRxXvQY0s

It would not be a bad idea to get a second full sized fob whilst you still have the first one.  If you lose one, you can still get the bike cranked by the credit card backup.  However, if you lose both you have to replace a very expensive piece of kit.  If you do buy another fob, make sure it has the bag that comes with it as it has the unique number required to program it to the bike.  Otherwise, it's a useless piece of plastic.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 06:22:55 AM »
Welcome. Enjoy your new Concours.
Joel from Maine.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
You do not need any more fobs as long as you have the two, and you do going by this post.

If you lose the larger fob, you can use the other one but it does not work the same way and is less convenient. For several reasons, it is fairly important not to lose the fob in the first place.

The owner's manual is absolutely a little convoluted and written in Japenglish, so it IS hard to follow. That said, you should learn how both fobs work, what you need to do when the battery dies in the primary fob (and it will....) and get a very general idea of how the system works. Again, I am talking about a basic understanding, not the ability to design the system :-)  But that understanding will really come in handy when the fob battery dies and you can still ride home  ;)

There is a lot of information on this forum about the KiPass system, and I believe there is a sticky or two with a summation of how it works. If not, I would be happy to jot something down and maybe Jim can make that a sticky.

Brian

Regarding the FOBs. Yes I received one FOB and a second smaller version that's apparently backup. Thanks for bringing it up. Reading the section in the manual on FOBs is human anesthesia. Should I get a second FOB? I'm assuming these  devices aren't cheap.  I'm not crystal clear on what happens if you lose the primary FOB. You simply use the spare key? Sounds like they brought in the BMW team to design the FOB feature.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 08:27:50 PM »
Wayne,  welcome to the forum.  A friendly, talented and worldly bunch here. I to have a new 2014 Connie as of a week ago. My second one in five years. 
I do hope you enjoy and get many trouble free miles on your mount.  As for Amsoil. I use 10W40MCF and a Ea103 oil filter. Without any issues on any bike,
that I have owned.

Cheers, Mate.
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL