Author Topic: huge Equifax data hack  (Read 9353 times)

Offline tonedeaf1

Re: huge Equifax data hack
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 07:54:01 PM »
And don't forget, if you have a security freeze (credit freeze) applied to your accounts after paying the fee and then you need to 'thaw' your accounts for whatever reason, you'll have to pay the fee all over again to have them frozen.

That said, I'll be freezing all my accounts this week.

There's some good info here.  http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/09/pf/what-to-do-equifax-hack/index.html

Let us know if you are successful. I have only been able to get endless waits on the phone and data transfer failures from the online setup pages.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 09:13:19 PM »
Let us know if you are successful. I have only been able to get endless waits on the phone and data transfer failures from the online setup pages.

Makes one wonder if the demand for such service is overwhelming now, or if they are being intentionally uncooperative....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 09:48:33 PM »
And now to add to the continued drama:

Experian makes it easy to undo a credit freeze, resetting a subject's PIN through an easily accessible account recovery page. That page only asks for a person's name, address, date of birth, and Social Security number...data [that] was compromised in the Equifax breach, as well as other breaches, so we can probably assume hackers possess this information. After entering that data, attackers then just have to enter an email address -- any email -- and answer a few security questions.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/experian-site-can-give-anyone-your-credit-freeze-pin
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 07:07:42 AM »
And now to add to the continued drama:

Experian makes it easy to undo a credit freeze, resetting a subject's PIN through an easily accessible account recovery page. That page only asks for a person's name, address, date of birth, and Social Security number...data [that] was compromised in the Equifax breach, as well as other breaches, so we can probably assume hackers possess this information. After entering that data, attackers then just have to enter an email address -- any email -- and answer a few security questions.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/experian-site-can-give-anyone-your-credit-freeze-pin

Nice!  :o

I guess if the hackers have all the info they need to do this it won't hurt to put a credit freeze in place anyways. It'll just be another step that the hackers need to go through to take your identity. Anything that slows them down is good, makes em look to someone else that doesn't have a freeze in place at least.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 07:39:28 AM »
Nice!  :o

I guess if the hackers have all the info they need to do this it won't hurt to put a credit freeze in place anyways. It'll just be another step that the hackers need to go through to take your identity. Anything that slows them down is good, makes em look to someone else that doesn't have a freeze in place at least.

Well, Equifax claims they ask other questions not in the data leak and check other information before resetting a PIN.  Hmm.  Plus, this is only Equifax and not the other two credit agencies.  I wouldn't want to imply that locking is not a good idea, it is, I just thought it interesting that they don't seem to learn their lesson.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »
Well, Equifax claims they ask other questions not in the data leak and check other information before resetting a PIN.  Hmm.  Plus, this is only Equifax and not the other two credit agencies.  I wouldn't want to imply that locking is not a good idea, it is, I just thought it interesting that they don't seem to learn their lesson.

I haven't done the freeze yet but I am this week. My understanding of the freeze is that one only has to have a freeze put in place by one of the credit reporting agencies and that once that is done that the other two agencies will be notified and they will freeze your credit with them as well. At least that's the way it's supposed to work...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »
Might check on that, C. Some of what I've read says you have to contact all three agencies. Conflicting  information, go figure.  ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
Yeah, what I read said you have to do all three individually

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 07:44:43 AM »
Maybe I'm too cynical, but since the thieves were able to steal data before, I must assume they'll be able to again, even with new layers.

I guess my question is like asking, 'Why bother locking your doors?' ... but the identity data theft feels pretty hopeless. I find myself anticipating logging in to my investment account and seeing a balance of $0. Or learning that my house is no longer my house.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 04:46:21 AM »
Might check on that, C. Some of what I've read says you have to contact all three agencies. Conflicting  information, go figure.  ::)

Yeah, what I read said you have to do all three individually

Yep, you two are right. The process has to be repeated for each agency.

I did sign up for the Equifax monitoring and at their website you can lock and unlock your credit report with the click of a mouse. Now Equifax says that it's going to allow customers to lock and unlock for free and for life.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 04:49:38 AM »
Maybe I'm too cynical, but since the thieves were able to steal data before, I must assume they'll be able to again, even with new layers.

I guess my question is like asking, 'Why bother locking your doors?' ... but the identity data theft feels pretty hopeless. I find myself anticipating logging in to my investment account and seeing a balance of $0. Or learning that my house is no longer my house.

Why bother? It's better to do something about this than nothing, don't you think?

I was also worried about our investment accounts. I contacted our advisor about this and he said not to worry. Noting can be done with our accounts without a signature and some paperwork.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »
Liz Weston: Equifax just changed the rest of your life (from https://finance.yahoo.com/news/liz-weston-equifax-just-changed-135415381.html)

Adding freezes to your credit reports is an appropriate response to the massive Equifax database breach that exposed the private information of 143 million Americans.

Don't make the mistake of thinking those freezes will keep you safe, however.

Credit freezes lock down your credit reports in a way that should prevent "new account fraud," or bogus accounts being opened in your name. But there are so many other ways the bad guys can use the information they stole, which included Social Security numbers, birthdates, addresses and some driver's license numbers. Others include:

—Stealing your tax refund and preventing you from filing returns by submitting fake ones

—Using your information to get health care, which can result not only in medical collections on your credit reports but a stranger's health information getting mixed in with your records

—Giving your identification to the police when they get arrested, creating criminal records that could land you in jail or prevent you from getting a job

—Filing for bankruptcy in your name or transferring deeds of property you own

You can't prevent any of these bad things from happening. The best you can do is remain as vigilant as you can and try to clear up the messes as they happen.

If you feel helpless, there's a good reason for that: You are.

THEFT AND RUIN, DONE IN YOUR NAME

"Equifax just signed you up for a lifetime game of Whack-A-Mole," says Leslie Beck, a certified financial planner in Rutherford, New Jersey.

Beck's husband, Mark, is an investment consultant who's been the repeated victim of identity theft after his wallet was stolen in 1999. Shutting down bogus credit accounts — freezes weren't available back then — was just the start. One thief used Mark Beck's name to commit insurance fraud by staging phony car accidents. Another was arrested for public urination, creating an outstanding warrant in Mark Beck's name that could have cost him his job.

The last incident was in 2007, but the Becks say they're still on high alert. "I never feel safe anymore," Mark Beck says.

The Becks' world is our world now. We need to scan every piece of mail and junk mail, looking for unfamiliar names that could indicate someone is trying to take over our accounts. We need to obsessively check our bank statements, credit card bills and credit reports for unauthorized activity. We need to hold our breath every time we apply for a job or get stopped by a cop, lest someone else's misdeeds derail our lives.

We need to pay the price, in other words, because a private company couldn't be bothered to invest adequately in the security that might have protected us.

CONGRESS, FORBID THE USE OF SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS

There's one thing Congress can and should do to mitigate the damage.

It's not making freezes free, although that would be nice. It typically costs $3 to $10 at each of the three bureaus to freeze your report, plus $2 to $10 to lift the freeze temporarily if you want new credit — or a job, or insurance, or an apartment, or cell service, or any of the other reasons companies have to check your report. The idea that you have to pay to protect your own information, which was gathered and bartered without your consent, is outrageous.

Congress also is not requiring the bureaus to offer free credit monitoring for life — although that, too, would help, since that can alert you to bogus credit accounts and help you clear up the damage.

What Congress should do is to forbid private companies and government agencies, except for Social Security, from using Social Security numbers as an all-purpose identifier. We wouldn't be so vulnerable to so many frauds if those digits were limited to their original purpose of earning and receiving retirement and disability benefits.

The cost of switching away from Social Security numbers would be huge. The good news: Much of that expense would be borne by the companies that have been profiting from using our data in the first place.

WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW

—Get your credit reports from the three major bureaus and look for accounts you don't recognize. Here's how to use AnnualCreditReport.com ; you can check each bureau once a year.

—Sign up for a free credit report service that you can access more frequently. It will alert you to new accounts, changes in your score or new negative items.

—Freeze your credit reports as soon as possible with each of the three major credit bureaus to prevent scammers from opening new accounts. If a freeze is inconvenient or unavailable, set fraud alerts on your reports.

—Stay vigilant. As long as your Social Security number is the key to your identity, you'll need to be on guard. That's our life now, thanks to Equifax.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »
We, my wife and I, both together and individually, have been defrauded so many times now it is the new normal. In fact I had a credit card company call Sat. and ask about what they thought was unusual activity; sure enough, two fraudulent charges on the card, with one being at an Apple store (many of my C.C. fraudulent charges have been at the Apple store- go figure). I have no idea if my data was kicked loose in this Equifax data loss or not and honestly, do not care.

I have been 'clipped' a bunch of times, all the way up to and including multiple filings with the IRS (I only do that once a year) twice so far.

I have taken steps to keep the amount of money available for any type of transfer or immediate use small, and have opened other accounts with no electronic access. Most money is there, with a small amount of working capital available and possibly exposed to fraud and theft. Of course that does not prevent fraud but it does limit the amount, which I think is a huge step in the right direction.

Otherwise, it has not cost me one penny, at least not so far, and all fraudulent charges have been removed immediately.

I am not suggesting that others do this, just mentioning my own experience.

Brian

Why bother? It's better to do something about this than nothing, don't you think?

I was also worried about our investment accounts. I contacted our advisor about this and he said not to worry. Noting can be done with our accounts without a signature and some paperwork.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 06:24:15 PM »
What Congress should do is to forbid private companies and government agencies, except for Social Security, from using Social Security numbers as an all-purpose identifier.

The sad part is that it was KNOWN at the time of the creation of the SSN that it would be abused, and protections were put in place at the time, but only against government abuse.  People failed at the time to see that big business is just as much a thread to security and freedom as government.  https://freedom-school.com/citizenship/use-of-social-security-numbers.pdf

There has been this wild assumption that somehow the SSN is, was, and would remain "secret".  It never has been, and never should have been considered to be.  That was problem #1.  Problem #2 was that SSN was used as a universal ID, and any such number is and always will be a threat to privacy and freedom because it allows easy sharing and linking of information in databases.  Problem #3 is the wrong assumption that SSN is absolutely correct and unique.  The whole "credit reporting" was designed around SSN and thus just about ANY company can use a credit check as an excuse to force getting the number, EVEN WHEN IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CREDIT, because they can say they must report your payment history to credit agencies.  Add in employer requirements, tax requirements, welfare, Medicare, military, and it is nearly impossible for things not to have gone crazy stupid.  For years VA put the damn SSN on my DRIVER'S LICENSE!  I had to drill through it on the card to make sure people checking for ID couldn't just copy it without my permission....  until VA finally gave us an opt out... and then much later removed it completely by default.

And you know what businesses seem to be trying to use as a replacement for SSN now (or at least augment it)?  Your freaking cell phone number!  Every company is trying desperately to require people to get and force people to give them their cell number and use that as an ID.  I call Cox and get asked it every time.  When I try to say no, and here is my ACCOUNT NUMBER, they treat me like I am insane.  Same thing with the power company, the gas company, etc.

Now wait for biometrics- collection of fingerprints and DNA will be the next major huge violation of civil liberties and abused on a scale we can hardly even imagine.  Not just because you can't change them, but because you leave them all over the place, so it will be the least "secret" and most damaging way of tracking and searching without probable cause.  Don't even get me started!!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »
So, I guess we can take it you will not be getting the biochip implant?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »
So, I guess we can take it you will not be getting the biochip implant?

That is a good assumption

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 12:10:16 AM »
Over here  in he UK everyone is issued a NI (National Insurance ) number at the age of 16 however its not routinely used as an Identifier when applying for anything. (In fact I can honestly say I've never had to use it when applying for any credit/loans and actually would probably walk away from any company that did ask for it)

Typically the only people who ask for it are your employer for tax purposes although it is also used to validate your entitlement to vote and as a checksum for checking your Driving Licence(which has its own number) details online.

Cedit /loan companies used to like asking for Landline numbers although thats slowly being replaced by making mobile numbers/email addresses a compulsory field.

If you're applying for something physically then  you normally have to take in 3 items from an approved list of documentation (eg utility bills, bank statements etc)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 08:47:58 PM »
Just got a flash from my local paper. Evidently, one the the thieves called one of the IDs stolen from Equifax. He called the number and gave out a story the person answering the phone had been served with a subpoena from a law enforcement agency and he needed to wire some money so he would not get arrested. Turns out the person answering was a police officer at the station he was supposedly gong to get hit with a warrant from.

Latest news is that EVERY Equifax account may have been hacked.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »
Over here  in he UK everyone is issued a NI (National Insurance ) number at the age of 16 however its not routinely used as an Identifier when applying for anything. (In fact I can honestly say I've never had to use it when applying for any credit/loans and actually would probably walk away from any company that did ask for it)

Interesting...

I dug out my original SSN card from the mid/late sixties (boy has my signature has changed!). Printed on the bottom of the card is:
"FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES-NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION".
So where did we (user or vendor) screw this minor detail up?

Of note, I've run across one/more forms where I have the option of NOT using my SSN for ID. The FAA comes to mind.

Also of note, our SSN is just a number on a cheesy card. No finger print, no picture, no biometric data. And if asked, all I have to do is rattle off my SSN from memory. Vendors *NEVER* ask to see the card. And I have to assume the SS Administration will never verify my number/details outside their department. Except for maybe employment verification (applying for a job). There may be others... :-/

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2017, 12:05:35 AM »
No problem the WhiteHouse (backed by Equifax) is planning to Nuke SSNs ;)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/04/white_house_plans_to_ditch_social_security_numbers_as_ids/

Oooh and did any one mention that Equifax have won a contract to process yuor Tax returns?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/03/equifax_irs_contract/

--
space reserved for humourous sig file