Author Topic: huge Equifax data hack  (Read 9321 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: huge Equifax data hack
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 05:47:28 AM »
No problem the WhiteHouse (backed by Equifax) is planning to Nuke SSNs ;)

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/04/white_house_plans_to_ditch_social_security_numbers_as_ids/

Oooh and did any one mention that Equifax have won a contract to process yuor Tax returns?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/03/equifax_irs_contract/

Yep, saw both yesterday.  The IRS deal was already "done" before the whole disaster, but isn't that just insane?  Even with a binding contract, perhaps there is a way out of it with some legal magic.  Congress is pissed.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2017, 05:50:46 AM »
Congress doesn't give a **** unless their names got released. Usual dog and pony show for public consumption.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »

Also of note, our SSN is just a number on a cheesy card. No finger print, no picture, no biometric data. ...

Start asking for those to be required and you'll be labeled a racist.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »
Start asking for those to be required and you'll be labeled a racist.

Or insane.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 03:54:33 AM »
Just a "slightly revised" estimate on the number of UK residents impacted

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/10/equifax_uk_records_update/
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 11:18:47 PM »
Depending on when your SS Card was issued, it will have different text on the front.  I have one of the old ones also that says "Not for Identification".  But that language was later deleted from the card.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/ssnversions.html

When I got my A&P license in 1975, the license number as issued by the FAA was your Soc Sec #.  So.......for about 25 years, until the reg's changed, every logbook, squawk sheet,  or work order I signed had my Soc Sec # followed by my signature.  So....THOUSANDS of people have access to my # and signature.  Later, you could get a new license with new number, which I did.

Some years ago when I got a job that required a security clearance, I gave all my documents, driver's license, birth certificate, resume, etc., to the security officer at the new job and she FAXed it to the company that does the clearance research.  She hit the "SEND" button on the FAX machine, and then said,  "Oops.  Oh, crap."  Or words to that effect.  Seems she sent it to the wrong number.  I said, "So...you just FAXed my ENTIRE IDENTITY to some unknown location????????!?!?!?!?!?" 

It ultimately didn't matter since a few years ago, the Chinese hacked the gov't and they got all of the data for all of the people with security clearances, anyway.

No one is safe.  NO ONE.

The way we as a society SHOULD have fought the Soc Sec# as ID was to have just refused to provide it to anyone but the IRS or Soc Sec Administration.  But those days are gone and it's too late now.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.