Author Topic: Anyone have a cartoon version of a C14?  (Read 6977 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Anyone have a cartoon version of a C14?
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:37:21 AM »
I am trying to order a shirt on CafePress and I loaded a picture of my C14 from one of the stops I did on a 5-day ride with my buddies. They cancelled my order as I was using "content that may not be in compliance with our content usage policy". The e-mail then said that it was blocked because of the use of the image of the automobile (motorcycle in my case) and they have received many notices from auto manufacturers that there may be an issue with the portrayal of their vehicles on merchandise without authorization.

I then found a single color image of a C14 (see attached), which I inverted (white background) and changed the color of the motorcycle to be burgundy. I tried that and also got a cancelled order, this time, it didn't say anything about the use of an automobile, but just that it was not in compliance and it may infringe on the rights of a third party.

Anyone have anything I can use that won't get blocked?

I personally don't understand the issue that Kawasaki (or other manufacturers) would have. I own the motorcycle, I have modified it the way I want it and I took the picture (the first image). Yet they own the image enough that I cannot get a shirt made with it on it?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Re: Anyone have a cartoon version of a C14?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »
It looks exactly like that.

I had done a search on Google Images for "Kawasaki Concours drawing" and that was one of the images that came up.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:22:24 AM »
Maybe try custom ink.com. I had a t-shirt made with a Honda Valkyrie drawing on it and had no problem.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »
Go to the other Forum and contact Harry Martin.
He does the cartoons for the Concourier and other places.
He's done most of the OtP T-shirts with drawings of C-10's and C-14's.
I'm pretty sure that he used to sell T-shirts thru Café Press too.
He can either help you or point you in another direction.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Another thought. Ask Café Press if they have and T Shirts from Harry..
       They might already have exactly what you want..

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 12:09:50 PM »
go to another company !!
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
Go to the other Forum and contact Harry Martin.
He does the cartoons for the Concourier and other places.
He's done most of the OtP T-shirts with drawings of C-10's and C-14's.
I'm pretty sure that he used to sell T-shirts thru Café Press too.
He can either help you or point you in another direction.

Now I have to figure out my password again since it logged me out.   :-\
Scott

Offline Harry

• Pass the duct tape please...
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 01:28:31 PM »
The problem is "Kawasaki".

Remove that and any text that even hints at "Kawasaki" and try again.
You might get away with having "Kawasaki" in the image.

Problem is, Big K has no sense of humor and is very sensitive on how it's brand is used or protrayed.
Years ago, I tried to obtain a license to use the "Kawasaki" brand name for my own CafePress store and was eventually rejected.

The only way Kawasaki found out about my store was because I used "Kawasaki" to describe the products.
They have a ROBOT that crawls the web as well, looking for copyright and trademark violators, which this CafePress store is, in this case.

Either make it impossible for their robot to find your store, or find another shirt store.

I thought about doing the same thing to sell my cartoons with the Kawasaki brand on the images, but decided to do that at a later time.
I don't like the CafePress store model and how they do business with artists, that is why you don't see my stuff there. When I am ready to do shirts again, I will be using a different company but I will also make sure the Kawasaki robots can't find my stores to shut me down.

Try describing your store with misspelled descriptions. Problem is, it makes it more difficult for customers to find your products.
Now, if you just want a single shirt for yourself, HIDE THE STORE from prying eyes and leave out any reference to "Kawasaki", "Concours", "C14", etc.

By the way...your image looks like it could be a licensed Kawasaki image. I would not want to copy that without someone's permission.

Good luck.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY   *1986 Vintage C10 "Silverdammit" * - *2015 C14 "Greendammit"*

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 01:35:10 PM »
Thanks Harry.

I didn't have anything labeling it as Kawasaki or Concours or anything in the file name and nothing within the shirt naming either. And yes, this is a one-off for myself. We are all getting shirts made and instead of using the one motorcycle clip-art they have on their site, I wanted to make one with my own image.

I will try and remove the Kawasaki text on the image and see what happens. If it fails again, then I will just go with what my buddy came up with.  :P
Scott

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 02:04:37 PM »
Thanks Harry.

I didn't have anything labeling it as Kawasaki or Concours or anything in the file name and nothing within the shirt naming either. And yes, this is a one-off for myself. We are all getting shirts made and instead of using the one motorcycle clip-art they have on their site, I wanted to make one with my own image.

I will try and remove the Kawasaki text on the image and see what happens. If it fails again, then I will just go with what my buddy came up with.  :P

That tells me that human eyes looked at your art and decided it was a trademark violation. I would have flagged the art as well.
If you remove the text, it may pass. Just don't know if CafePress locked down your store for that one incident.

Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY   *1986 Vintage C10 "Silverdammit" * - *2015 C14 "Greendammit"*

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 02:55:04 PM »
That tells me that human eyes looked at your art and decided it was a trademark violation. I would have flagged the art as well.
If you remove the text, it may pass. Just don't know if CafePress locked down your store for that one incident.

It's not his store, he's just a customer trying to order a t shirt with a photograph he's taken on it.

Personally I think its a whole load of ART (Anally Retentive Twaddle)

Take your business elsewhere is what I say
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
And don't know about that side of the pond but I can wander into any Asda(WalMart for you guys) over here, go to the self service booth, transfer any photo I want from my phone /SD card/other medium and get it printed out on pretty much whatever I want.

Ok some items you still have to wait for delivery but there are other places you can just walk into and get it done the same day.
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »
are you seriously telling me that someone here has gone to Kawasaki and asked their permission to use the words "kawasaki" , "concours" & "gtr" on these pages ???

ballcocks ;)

You might get away with having "Kawasaki" in the image.

Problem is, Big K has no sense of humor and is very sensitive on how it's brand is used or protrayed.
Years ago, I tried to obtain a license to use the "Kawasaki" brand name for my own CafePress store and was eventually rejected.

The only way Kawasaki found out about my store was because I used "Kawasaki" to describe the products.
They have a ROBOT that crawls the web as well, looking for copyright and trademark violators, which this CafePress store is, in this case.

Either make it impossible for their robot to find your store, or find another shirt store.

I thought about doing the same thing to sell my cartoons with the Kawasaki brand on the images, but decided to do that at a later time.
I don't like the CafePress store model and how they do business with artists, that is why you don't see my stuff there. When I am ready to do shirts again, I will be using a different company but I will also make sure the Kawasaki robots can't find my stores to shut me down.

Try describing your store with misspelled descriptions. Problem is, it makes it more difficult for customers to find your products.
Now, if you just want a single shirt for yourself, HIDE THE STORE from prying eyes and leave out any reference to "Kawasaki", "Concours", "C14", etc.

By the way...your image looks like it could be a licensed Kawasaki image. I would not want to copy that without someone's permission.

Good luck.
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 03:02:52 PM »

Yep, you took the words right out of my fingers before I could type it.  Having/putting the word "Kawasaki" on there is what is going to be problematic, not an actual drawing, or even photo (that isn't copyrighted).

It is quite well done, and I would say professional.  I spent some 100 hours making a cartoon version that is compatible with a stitching machine... we even got all the stitching and colors ready and the project froze/died while my friend who has the machine moved.  Hasn't resumed yet.  Maybe someday... 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 03:15:19 PM »
So just for shits &  giggles I've ordered a custom tshirt from the UK CafePress site (same company), let's watch this space :)

Image sent was

--

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 03:27:16 PM »
are you seriously telling me that someone here has gone to Kawasaki and asked their permission to use the words "kawasaki" , "concours" & "gtr" on these pages ???

ballcocks ;)

Not these forum pages, but on my artwork in my own store.

Kawasaki has a formal process to apply for a license to use their trademark on products that produce a profit.
I went through that formal process.
They reviewed my products and declined to offer a license.

Fair enough. I don't put their trademark on my products. I draw cartoons of the C10 and C14 and I do not use their trademark.
It would take too much time and effort to go after the one-offs who walk into a shop and have a t-shirt made with their trademark, but they do shut down stores that do not have a licence to use "Kawasaki" and that includes photos, even accidental photos that produce a for-profit product.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 03:30:40 PM »
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 03:34:18 PM »

It would take too much time and effort to go after the one-offs who walk into a shop and have a t-shirt made with their trademark, but they do shut down stores that do not have a licence to use "Kawasaki" and that includes photos, even accidental photos that produce a for-profit product.

but thats effectively what the OP  did, he ordered a one off shirt with a photograph he had taken of his bike on Cafepress and they declined it.

As I said, it will be interesting to see how the same sort of order made this side of the pond via the same company progresses

--

Offline Harry

• Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »
It's only a matter of time.

Either Kawasaki finds it and complains, or a human reviewer decides it is a trademark infringement.
It took Kawasaki months before they requested my CafePress shop cease and desist.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »

I had that too. It was a day before I got the e-mails saying it was cancelled and I got my refund.
Scott