Author Topic: Knight rider sequencing light  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Knight rider sequencing light
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:32:03 AM »
Got one of these for my HD fatboy. The custom brake light I had was less than adequate.

http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm

After I installed it, I am now skeptical if I will get pulled over for the sequencing as running light. I did get the red one. It does look nice and really visible. And the pulsating brake light is super awesome.

Thinking of going by the police station and asking them, but thought I ask you guys what your opinion is?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Knight rider sequencing light
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
Ever seen the tun signal on a 67 Merc Cougar?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
Or the newer Mustangs?  And the Challengers?
I feel like a new person!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
Unfortunately, I do not think I have seen a 67 Mercury or have paid attention to the Mustang. I am guessing, this means sequencing running light does not matter.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »
In Ohio, you won't have any problems. I'd like to think the company did homework as to the liability involved in selling something that may be illegal in some states, well, wishfull thinking at least, buyer beware. I'm not sure about Illinois. Strobes is where you start to get into some gray areas.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:49:35 PM »
I may've spoken too soon.  The turn signals on these cars sequence toward the direction of the turn.  It's kind of cool, but it looks like yours sequence at any time the brake isn't being used.  In my years as a cop I've seen that it all depends on the cop.  It can also depend on how you explain it if you get pulled over.  I can tell you that I never ticketed a rider that wore earplugs or had questionable lights.  But that's coming from a rider.  Ask your local po-po and see what they say.  If they say it's okay be sure and get a copy of the code.  I used to carry a copy of the code for displaying of inspection stickers with me whenever I rode because the VA state police would try and ticket me based on the regulations for cars.  Also be aware that federal regulations can override anything local.  This is the case with headlight modulators.
I feel like a new person!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:28:16 PM »
Well, if local po-po says NO! to me, my little heart will break into two - not to mention, my hands, fingers and back as well. After all, it will be PITA to finagle underneath that fender to disconnect one wire so it just functions as break light. Guess I will swing by there before I head home.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 05:53:09 AM »
Uh oh...to my knowledge if it does this as a running light you will have a problem with the gendarmes.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!