Author Topic: Carburetor advice needed  (Read 3202 times)

Offline GMan

Carburetor advice needed
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »
I disassembled and cleaned the carburetor on my daughter's Eliminator 125 over the weekend, which fixed all of its issues but one--the idle speed changes.  It starts well, idles smoothly, and rides as good as new. However, when you let off the throttle you never know if the engine will be racing or so low it dies. I've checked the throttle cables and choke and they are not the problem. At any given moment, it can be "fixed" by adjusting the idle screw, but rev it a few times and it will be different. Suggestions?

If it helps, it is a 2009 model we bought new in 2012 and it has just under 5K miles.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: Carburetor advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Check your bolts and how your carburetor mounts to the engine. Usually it is a rubber or rubber like assembly that your carburetor will mount too. You could also check it out a little further by spraying WD-40 around the intake area between the carburetor and the motor to see if the idle speed changes. I'm guessing you will.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline GMan

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »
Thanks! I'll try that the next chance I get.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
If it has CV type carbs, perhaps one of the slide diaphrams is faulty?
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:42:05 PM »
 It is a single carb bike........

Coasting enrichener? it is near the top on the engine side- there is a vacuum line and a rubber diaphragm under the cover held by a spring....the 250 Ninja had the same set up and same symptom when it would go bad or just have the "plunger" portion get stuck in the carb body....it could just need to be cleaned, but they are cheap to replace too
And yes I realize this is super late to the party...