Author Topic: New to the Concours, buying an 09 C14 in Charlotte, NC area  (Read 3679 times)

Offline milehighz28

New to the Concours, buying an 09 C14 in Charlotte, NC area
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:58:24 AM »
Hey guys. A friend of mine twisted my arm and talked me into buying his 2009 C14. I found this site and started doing a little research, but never really found a post that says what most C14 owners do to the bikes.  The 'recommended' mods. My buddy was a little scared of the power, so he never really did much with it. I have been riding bikes for 21 years and have a bit of a horsepower problem, so modding it will be high on my list of things to do.  :)  So what do you guys consider a MUST as far as mods, and any other tips would help.  Thanks,

Jeff

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: New to the Concours, buying an 09 C14 in Charlotte, NC area
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
Welcome mile high! (are you sure you aren't in the Denver area?) Recommended mods:

1) ride it
2) ride it more
3) For power most say flies out, full AreaP exhaust and PCV. I didn't do any of that instead got a Guhl re-flash.
4) For everything else, seat, screen, canyon cages... all depends on you.

Sorry I'm not much help but pay attention to 1 and 2.  ;D

Offline milehighz28

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »
Thanks rhino....I started using the milehighz28 name on forums years and years ago when I DID live in Denver.  :) If it aint broke, don't fix it.  haha  I was reading up a bit on the Area P exhaust and Power Commander. Is there a preferred place to buy these things?  The site I found was fuelmotousa.com.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 01:30:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

My must do list was .... windscreen=Calsi large, rebuilt stock seat, PC5 w/Autotune, zx14 headers w/ dual Muzzy cf exhaust, changed handlebars, everything else is just farkles.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jeff. :chugbeer:
How deep are your pockets? Take Rhino's advice and ride it for a while, read forum comments (the search feature can be your friend), then make up your mind on the best course for 'farkling'.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:49:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jeff.   :chugbeer:  Like a wise man once said, "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"   ::)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline milehighz28

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:46:31 AM »
Well, I have an 830hp Camaro and a 93 RX7 with an LS1 V8 in it, so I am familiar with the cost to performance ratio.  :) Just looking to the people with experience to help guide me the right way rather than the trial and error route I have gone with other toys.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:07:19 AM »
Flies out, exhaust and PCV. That really woke mine up.

Smaller windshield for warm days.
Bigger one for cold days.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 08:36:58 AM »
Well, I have an 830hp Camaro and a 93 RX7 with an LS1 V8 in it, so I am familiar with the cost to performance ratio.  :) Just looking to the people with experience to help guide me the right way rather than the trial and error route I have gone with other toys.

I'm guessing that one could be fun with the right suspension mods.

Offline milehighz28

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 08:47:05 AM »
The Camaro is fun at the drag strip and the RX7 is fun on the street. Handles great.  So it sounds like the concencus is to put a full exhaust (Area P I assume?) and a power commander. I haven't looked into the butterflies yet, but I assume it is similar to what a Yamaha I used to own have....creates back pressure in the exhaust to boost low end torque? 

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:57 AM »
No, the "flies" are in the intake system, upstream of the throttle bodies. A highly discussed topic on this forum. There are several members here there are extremely knowledgeable on the topic, me, not so much. I removed them after reading about the performance gains discussed on this forum.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline milehighz28

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 09:27:59 AM »
Thanks...I will do some research on the topic

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
I didn't want to remove my "flies" because they are part of the traction control system. These secondary butterfly valves are opened by the ECU electronically. The Guhl re-flash will open them up sooner by software without compromising KTRC. Not as much gain as removing them and adding PCV but a good compromise IMO. For more on the re-flash, go to http://www.guhlmotors.com

Offline milehighz28

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:16 AM »
Ok, I looked them up.  Seems like a simple enough mod when the time comes.  Thanks guys