Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 128099 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #420 on: December 03, 2015, 04:53:17 AM »
Seems like it will be a while before it all gets figured out.

Yep, who knows how long this is all gonna take.

In the meantime, my Jetta has a rear wheel bearing going out. The dash on our Jetta is lit up like a Christmas tree. Errors for the stability control, the ABS, the air bag, and the TPS system along with the noise from the bearing. I connected my laptop up to the Jetta via the VAGCOM cable that I have and the thing told me where the issues are coming from, right rear wheel. All of those systems rely on data from the speed sensor and the sensor reads the tire rotation from the bearing (I already replaced the sensor). I now have all the parts and tools I need to replace the bearing and I'll be doing that this weekend. It's going to be a bear since the axle bolt gets torqued to 150 lb-ft PLUS 180 degrees.  :o

axle bolt

caliper to carrier (counterhold to keep from spinning) 35 NM REPLACE

caliper carrier (XZN 14 bolt) 90 NM plus 90 degrees. REPLACE

little screw/bolt that holds the disk on. 4 NM

rear axle bolt (XZN 18) 200 NM plus 180 degrees REPLACE

The axle bolt should be torqued to 200 NM and then the tire gets reinstalled, then remove the jack stands/jack so that the cars weight is on the tire. Then the bolt is tightened the additional 180 degrees. Of course the car will have to be jacked up again and the tire removed so that the new dust cap and the brake caliper can be reinstalled.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #421 on: December 03, 2015, 05:03:22 AM »
Are you sure it isn't lying to you?  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #422 on: December 03, 2015, 05:18:24 AM »
Are you sure it isn't lying to you?  :rotflmao:

:rotflmao:

Not this time I'm afraid.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #423 on: December 07, 2015, 09:12:15 AM »
I finally replaced the ailing bearing yesterday. All went well and after clearing the error codes my dash is no longer lit up like a Christmas tree and the bearing noise is gone.

The hardest part of the whole thing for me was torqueing the caliper carrier bolts (because of the clearance issue) and getting the damn new dust cover on.

When I pulled the old bearing out it was plain to see that it had a big problem. The big axle bolt was covered in oil and so was the bearing. There was a lot of play on the outside portion of the bearing as well.

Next!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #424 on: December 07, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »
Are you going to do the other side?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #425 on: December 07, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »
Are you going to do the other side?

I should but since it's fine and not making any noise or causing any error codes I'll leave it alone for now. I have under 40k miles on the odo and there was no reason for the bearing to be going out so early anyway. I'm thinking that it was just a fluke with the bad bearing having some kinda manufacturing defect.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #426 on: December 07, 2015, 10:49:54 AM »
Is that the side all the exhaust pollutants is pouring out of?

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #427 on: December 07, 2015, 11:10:05 AM »
Is that the side all the exhaust pollutants is pouring out of?

No, that would be the left side. The extra NOX emissions is keeping the other one protected when in reverse.
That is very low miles for a wheel bearing failure. Glad you got it fixed. I've never replaced a wheel bearing in any of the VW fleet yet. Brake pads and rotors, plenty of those, mostly from corrosion.
Diesel fuel prices locally took a $.25/gal drop over the weekend. I suppose the extremely mild winter and the crude price dropping below $40/barrel is making its way to the diesel market. Finally.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #428 on: December 07, 2015, 04:15:20 PM »
Looks like a lot of work for a low mileage car.
Diesel prices are looking sweet. I've been paying $2.169 per gallon. It is actually quite  bit cheaper to drive my car than ride the bike.
Joel from Maine.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #429 on: December 07, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
Looks like a lot of work for a low mileage car.
Diesel prices are looking sweet. I've been paying $2.169 per gallon. It is actually quite  bit cheaper to drive my car than ride the bike.

Yes, diesel prices are closing the gap on gasoline some lately. Price of crude oil dropped below $40/barrel and with the warm winter so far fuel supplies continue to increase even more. The price dropped about $.25/gal locally and while it's still about $.30 more than gas my cost per mile is still less to drive the diesel VW than the C10. And with the winter season the bike stays parked anyways.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #430 on: December 08, 2015, 04:55:02 AM »
No, that would be the left side. The extra NOX emissions is keeping the other one protected when in reverse.

;D

That is very low miles for a wheel bearing failure. Glad you got it fixed. I've never replaced a wheel bearing in any of the VW fleet yet. Brake pads and rotors, plenty of those, mostly from corrosion.

Just lucky I guess?  :(  In the 40 years that I've owned vehicles this is the first time that I've had to replace a wheel bearing. The right front in my 03 Silverado has a lot of play in it (no noise or vibration yet though) so I guess that one is next. At least there's more room to work on that thing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #431 on: December 14, 2015, 10:52:19 AM »
I received my 'goodwill' package today from VW. Just as advertised. A $500 gift card to spend anywhere, a $500 VW card to spend at the dealership (I'm thinking tires), and the 3 year 24/7 roadside assistance stuff. I have to visit a VW dealer in order for the offers to be activated. They wanna see the car with proof that I'm the owner and then I can spend the dough.    :thumbs:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #432 on: December 14, 2015, 11:38:07 AM »
I have been seeing their combo- [ Holiday / Save the Company] ads lately: $0 down, $0 first month, $0 interest and $0 something else. A 'sign and drive' deal. I am seriously considering buying one of those things.... the only consideration left is how much the monthly payments are. Anybody have any idea of the approximate amount that they send you monthly after buying one?

:rotflmao:  Three times.

Brian

I received my 'goodwill' package today from VW. Just as advertised. A $500 gift card to spend anywhere, a $500 VW card to spend at the dealership (I'm thinking tires), and the 3 year 24/7 roadside assistance stuff. I have to visit a VW dealer in order for the offers to be activated. They wanna see the car with proof that I'm the owner and then I can spend the dough.    :thumbs:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #433 on: December 14, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »
Can't even find a TDI model on the vw web site.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #434 on: December 14, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »
Can't even find a TDI model on the vw web site.

No VW diesels can be sold till the get their ducks in a row. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #435 on: December 14, 2015, 03:16:19 PM »
Did they close the used market on them too?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #436 on: December 14, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »

Doesn't look like it. I see some listed on local vw dealership sites.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #437 on: December 15, 2015, 04:39:09 AM »

No but with all of this mess still unresolved who would buy one?

Some folks that live in California are having issues renewing the registrations on their VW diesels because of this mess.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=452450

More reading pleasure.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=448053

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=453289

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #438 on: December 15, 2015, 05:21:56 AM »
Wow!

There is lots of good information in all of the links above.  It is highly recommended reading if you want to know the facts.

Moderator note: any user posting political garbage in this thread will immediately receive a one month ban! Keep it clean, keep it factual, and keep it friendly!

The Animas River spill in Colorado is a banned subject; discussing it will get you a one week ban.

(note that this is from one of the TDI links that C provided...)

Hmmmm.   I wonder if I should do that with car tires, car oils, car filters, BMWs, and wabbits?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #439 on: December 15, 2015, 06:38:46 AM »
Oh yeah, well fooy on you. ;-)