Author Topic: My Connie of 10 years totaled.(new bike update last post)  (Read 28213 times)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe

Pretty sure your rare situation doesn't apply to very many others.
I'm following what Cholla has stated & it shouldn't make any difference if it was 1 in 100 or 1 in 10,000. The same rules should apply, right?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
I'm following what Cholla has stated & it shouldn't make any difference if it was 1 in 100 or 1 in 10,000. The same rules should apply, right?

Not really.

What it comes down to is what I said earlier.  By taking out a policy, you are already agreeing to their zillions of fine-print terms.  If you accept/cash/deposit their check, you are legally agreeing to their terms and it is pretty much over for that transaction.   So they certainly will take ownership of the totaled vehicle if that is their policy and you agree to it.  Your only recourse:

1) Not accept the deal and negotiation with them.
2) Not accept the deal and sue them in court.

I would hope that most good insurance companies are willing to hear you and possibly negotiate.  What they care about is the total net transaction cost.  But if you are a great customer with few or no claims, and a good case, they very well might even be willing to alter their policies or amounts to:

1) Keep you happy
2) Keep you from badmouthing them to others
3) Keep you as a good, paying customer into the future
4) Avert expensive and time consuming arbitration, or worse, court action

(strike 1 and 3 if they are not your insurance company but someone else's paying you).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline route66tc

Be sure you get your helmet and gear covered by the ins adjuster.
My son dropped his C14 Feb 8th.  He was making a left out of the alley by mom and dad's house.  Very low speed.  Spiral break in his tibia (Fixed with tibial nail).  Splinter fracture of his fibula and a broken metatarsal.  Accident on Friday, check in hand the following Tuesday.  Talked to the adjuster from Geico (full coverage) and was told that riding gear wasn't covered.
He's having an issue with bone growth.  The doctor is prescribing a stimulator as well.  Just waiting for the insurance company to approve it.  Really hope it helps him!
I'm in Tell City and ride 62 from time to time.  You're the closest concours owner that I know of.  Good luck with everything.  If you get another bike, we should take a ride together one day.  What intersection were you at when this happened? 

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Mh bike wasnt 30 years old when it was damaged.
But value is value and at that time book value was 4400. They offered 3500 to total and confiscate.
I refused.
I got full book.
And remember the  adjuster said I was right in the insurance doesnt cover the vehicle itself. The value of same is whats covered.
I hope all works out with the OP and wounds heal quickly.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline jamiemac

My son dropped his C14 Feb 8th.  He was making a left out of the alley by mom and dad's house.  Very low speed.  Spiral break in his tibia (Fixed with tibial nail).  Splinter fracture of his fibula and a broken metatarsal.  Accident on Friday, check in hand the following Tuesday.  Talked to the adjuster from Geico (full coverage) and was told that riding gear wasn't covered.
He's having an issue with bone growth.  The doctor is prescribing a stimulator as well.  Just waiting for the insurance company to approve it.  Really hope it helps him!
I'm in Tell City and ride 62 from time to time.  You're the closest concours owner that I know of.  Good luck with everything.  If you get another bike, we should take a ride together one day.  What intersection were you at when this happened?
I was at the intersection of Highway 135 and I-64. The Van hit me at the intersection to get on I-64 East. Hope Your Son heals up quick. I'm getting better day by day.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Good to hear!

Not to pollute your thread but I got good news from both the surgeon and the P.T. therapist Wed. (had appts. with both): my wrist is up to about 85% movement with the biggest limitation being able to lift my hand above parallel with my wrist (as I was cautioned by the surgeon: he said that will never recover to 'as it was'). The bone is knitting according to the Dr. viewing X-rays, and I have been cleared to use my left hand for light to moderate use: no more than 40 lbs. lifting, and cleared to shoot handguns again. One more trip to P.T. and one final visit to the surgeon and I should be done with all medical assistance. And now, as Mortimer Duke said, for the good news: I can grasp, hold and lean onto the left handlebar of a C-14 and can operate the clutch. Yippy, 'cause I was worried about that one.

Hope you heal even better than I probably will.

Brian

I was at the intersection of Highway 135 and I-64. The Van hit me at the intersection to get on I-64 East. Hope Your Son heals up quick. I'm getting better day by day.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline sanmo

• Arena
A few more nuts and bolts, a bone splint here and a bone stimulator there, soon we have?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline jamiemac

Good to hear!

Not to pollute your thread but I got good news from both the surgeon and the P.T. therapist Wed. (had appts. with both): my wrist is up to about 85% movement with the biggest limitation being able to lift my hand above parallel with my wrist (as I was cautioned by the surgeon: he said that will never recover to 'as it was'). The bone is knitting according to the Dr. viewing X-rays, and I have been cleared to use my left hand for light to moderate use: no more than 40 lbs. lifting, and cleared to shoot handguns again. One more trip to P.T. and one final visit to the surgeon and I should be done with all medical assistance. And now, as Mortimer Duke said, for the good news: I can grasp, hold and lean onto the left handlebar of a C-14 and can operate the clutch. Yippy, 'cause I was worried about that one.

Hope you heal even better than I probably will.

Brian
Yeah, I'm pleased with my healing speed. I worked on my knee today, doing half squats, and using ankle wights to do seated leg lifts. My left hand is still pretty weak, but the strength is coming back.

I'm really glad to hear You're improving. That left wrist is a bad one.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline jamiemac

A few more nuts and bolts, a bone splint here and a bone stimulator there, soon we have?
Haha! Truth!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Also glad to hear you are making progress. It is really all we can do- deal with what life left us with and make the best out of it. If we get sufficiently better / good to return to past performance (or close enough) great, if not, well then I guess we do the best we can with what we have left.

As I said, in my own personal 'adventure', riding a motorcycle was actually in question, and frankly, I was not yet ready to forgo that in my lifetime. But according to the latest news and testing, I CAN ride, which is enough to make me happy.

Your own physical recovery will determine what you can do in the future and I sincerely do hope that it allows you to do everything you want / need to do (for work and your own personal life). As I said, I was just not ready to 'give in' on riding a motorcycle and it looks like I will not have to because of this wrist fracture. I wish you as well with you recent injuries. Sooner or later, we all have to give it up I suppose but I am just not quite ready to give up bike riding nor am I quite ready for an OldWing (et al.). Not that there is anything wrong with an OldWing, it is a well established motorcycle with an excellent track record but for the time being, I want to fool myself that riding a 'Sport Tourer' is closer to riding a Sport bike than a true tourer. Hey, the illusion is worth its' weight in gold, right? <snicker>

Brian

Yeah, I'm pleased with my healing speed. I worked on my knee today, doing half squats, and using ankle wights to do seated leg lifts. My left hand is still pretty weak, but the strength is coming back.

I'm really glad to hear You're improving. That left wrist is a bad one.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

Here's some insurance weirdness. I totally zoned on my insurance. About a week before starting the riding season, I bought an el-cheapo insurance policy on the net, from Markel Insurance. A couple weeks later, the accident happens.
Fast forward a month and a half. and an automatic payment comes out of my checking account for American Modern Insurance. A policy I had believed was terminated. Evidently, my last payment was for a full year instead of six months. LOL So, I had one policy with liability only, and another with all the bells and whistles type of coverage.

Anyways, the other guys insurance gave me a low ball estimate, just barely above salvage value, so I told them no way. That's still ongoing.

Just a little update.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Sorry to hear about your accident. Mercifully, you faired pretty well, all things considered.

The other guy's insurance company is doing what they are supposed to do. Deal out as little cash as possible. You may say and or believe that they are there to "make you whole". Wrong. They are in business to make money. Period. They will do as little as possible and hope you settle. It is in their favor to drag this out as long a reasonably possible. The longer the money stays in the bank, the more interest that is earned. To you it is a few thousand dollars, if they have only a few thousand claims open, it adds up to millions. This is one of the reasons we have to get lawyers involved. As distasteful as that may be, it is almost always necessary to get a fair shake.

Best of luck with your recovery and your settlement.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline connie_rider

Jamie, who's been paying all the medical bills? {His insurance, or yours}
As his insurance low balled you, it might be a good time to bring that, plus pain/suffering, and lost time from work into the negotiation's.
   That, "will" get their attention!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jamiemac

Jamie, who's been paying all the medical bills? {His insurance, or yours}
As his insurance low balled you, it might be a good time to bring that, plus pain/suffering, and lost time from work into the negotiation's.
   That, "will" get their attention!

Ride safe, Ted
Since I have an attorney working on that end of the case, I've gotta keep it separate from the loss of the scoot, because I'm going to clean their clock on the medical end of the deal. As far as the negotiations on the bike are concerned, it's a waiting game for now. If they don't fork up a satisfactory amount by the time I'm wrapping up the injury case, I'll let the attorney deal with that also.

Offline connie_rider

Ok, I follow ya.
Best of luck.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jamiemac

Re: My Connie of 10 years totaled. (Posting some good parts on for sale forum)
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
Some of the decent takeoff parts from My connie are going up on the for sale forum. I'm leaning towards a Goldwing as a replacement, because of my knee's limited range of motion, so another sport tourer isn't in the cards, I'm afraid.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »
I read good things about the new Goldwing. But boy are they expensive! I myself am still too young, fit, flexible and sexy, so no 'wing for me for at least another decade  :thumbs: Good luck on yours though, and would like to see pics when you get it.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2018, 04:54:52 PM »
I read good things about the new Goldwing. But boy are they expensive! I myself am still too young, fit, flexible and sexy, so no 'wing for me for at least another decade  :thumbs: Good luck on yours though, and would like to see pics when you get it.
Maybe in the spring. I still don't feel up to riding yet. Hopefully, the reviews are right about the new one being more of a big sport tourer are correct.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2018, 06:43:36 PM »
I read good things about the new Goldwing. But boy are they expensive! I myself am still too young, fit, flexible and sexy,(easy boys) so no 'wing for me for at least another decade  :thumbs: Good luck on yours though, and would like to see pics when you get it.
fify  :rotflmao:

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »
An update on my healing process. It appears my knee that took a smack on the fuel tank is not healing as expected, so I'm seeing an orthopedic dude on Monday to discuss my options. Also, it's kind of weird looking, and that's not good either I suppose.
I've stripped all kinds of pretty useful stuff on the scoot, and put it on the sale section.