Author Topic: intelligent heated clothing controller - update  (Read 1783 times)

Offline julianop

intelligent heated clothing controller - update
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »
I thought I'd drop a comment in here (the original discussion was in the "C10 technical" thread) to report on my work on an intelligent heated clothing controller.

I have spent some time using my Gerbing system, and sure enough, I get broiled in my own juices at stop lights and at low speed, and need a power boost at high speed, especially when it is misty/foggy. I also experience high drain when used in conjunction with my Hella driving lights and heated grips, evident by fluctuation in the headlamp intensity.

I am working on the simulation of the power controller circuitry. Things are looking good, though I may not manage have prototypes ready for testing this winter season, as originally anticipated; my day job is keeping me very busy. I will try.

Philosophically, I am focusing on robustness and reliability in the design: I want this to be the equipment somebody will choose for their journey to Alaska. I am putting in strong, self-resetting  overload protection so that the system will protect itself without the need for fuses (fuses are always necessary to protect wiring, of course, but the electronics should be the first line of defense).

I am also planning on having this unit configurable for power control for LED lighting as well (a good use for unused channels). I was thinking along the lines of full power for high beam (main beam to us Brits), mid power for DRLs, and lower power for use with low beam (dipped beam). It could also be a headlamp modulator or a brake light modulator, if desired.

Though this is a question that will be more relevant when I go to production, I'm interested in the channel count packaging options, and would appreciate input. I am thinking of a main, four channel module, with expansion modules of two channel each. Modules would all take power from the battery, and plug into the main module for control. (Optionally, depending on recommendations, I could have the expansion module take power from the main unit.) The four channel module could be used in various combinations, such as:
1. rider jacket; rider gloves; rider pants; rider boots.
2. rider upper (jacket/gloves); rider lower (pants, socks); driving light intensity; brake light modulator.
3. rider upper; rider lower; passenger upper; passenger lower.

Adding one two-channel expansion module added to option 3 would add, say, driving light intensity; brake light modulator.

Finally, I'm not sure what to do for a control panel, but I'm thinking of a modest LED display with "top hat" switch and a couple of buttons, but I'm open to ideas. A more advanced option would be a screen that would also double as a control station for my intelligent cruise control all functions controlled at the same user interface - control space at the cockpit is at a premium.

Suggestions, comments?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.