Author Topic: TPS - How do I remove this?  (Read 7169 times)

Offline jwh20

Re: TPS - How do I remove this?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 12:03:45 PM »
Nice!  Looks like a serviceable repair.  The 2025 will probably last a couple of years, it's 50% the capacity of the 2050.  Next time you change the tires, plan on changing the battery again.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 12:12:24 PM »
so they're going back in with no covers?

What do you mean by covers?  Both sensor assemblies (battery and circuit board) are in the original plastic housings.

Offline Tree

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »
Nice!  Looks like a serviceable repair.  The 2025 will probably last a couple of years, it's 50% the capacity of the 2050. Next time you change the tires, plan on changing the battery again.

Hah!  I go through 2 sets of tires a year.   :)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 12:16:12 PM »
What do you mean by covers?  Both sensor assemblies (battery and circuit board) are in the original plastic housings.
Yes, but in the pics above there's a big bit of the housing/cover missing from where you cut them open.

Just curious if they're going back in as they appear in your last pictures
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Tree

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
Yes, but in the pics above there's a big bit of the housing/cover missing from where you cut them open.

Just curious if they're going back in as they appear in your last pictures

I see what you're saying.  I did remove the side walls of the rear TPS to get at the underside of the battery and make replacement easier.  So, no, I'm not going to replace that plastic.  What I have attempted to do is basically create a tub and poured Plasti-Dip over everything to fill in the hole.  A close look at the last photo shows the clear tape I used as temporary side walls.  I am relying on the property of the liquid plastic to flow into any cracks/crevices and act as an anchor of sorts.  There really was no cover on this TPS when I started working it.  The circuit board and battery were originally placed in the bottom with 2 screws and then potted.  So, I kind of did the same thing when I put it back together.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
I see what you're saying.  I did remove the side walls of the rear TPS to get at the underside of the battery and make replacement easier.  So, no, I'm not going to replace that plastic.  What I have attempted to do is basically create a tub and poured Plasti-Dip over everything to fill in the hole.  A close look at the last photo shows the clear tape I used as temporary side walls.  I am relying on the property of the liquid plastic to flow into any cracks/crevices and act as an anchor of sorts.  There really was no cover on this TPS when I started working it.  The circuit board and battery were originally placed in the bottom with 2 screws and then potted.  So, I kind of did the same thing when I put it back together.

there's always gaffer tape  ;D
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Tree

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2017, 07:17:24 PM »
No joy.  Neither TPS displayed pressure when I got back on the road.  I was hoping that the front would come back since it was working prior to battery replacement.  I don't know what else to about the TPMS for now.  I have to get the fork seals replaced so any further troubleshooting will have to wait.  Kind of a bummer, I know.

Offline Tree

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 01:20:46 AM »
I was thinking about this (my first mistake, I know!).  I made an assumption when I got new batteries.  I assumed that they were good and I didn't check them before I installed them.  I have replaced similar batteries in other remote devices with no issues.  But, what if?

I guess that's why I bumped this thread.  If you are going to replace the TPS battery check the new one.  This will haunt me until the next tire change.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 04:06:50 AM »
It's possible to remove the sensor with the tire on the wheel on the bike.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16850.0

Offline Tree

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 04:33:26 AM »
It's possible to remove the sensor with the tire on the wheel on the bike.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16850.0

I have seen that post too.  Just my luck I'd knock the bike off the center stand while pushing on the tire.   :doh:  I do have time tho.  My voltage regulator crapped out and I'm waiting for Amazon to ship...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »
I have seen that post too.  Just my luck I'd knock the bike off the center stand while pushing on the tire.   :doh:  I do have time tho.  My voltage regulator crapped out and I'm waiting for Amazon to ship...

Strap the center stand.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 07:25:05 AM »
Not a problem- you do not have to use much of any force to push the tire away from one rim of the wheel. And what force you do have to use is between the tire and the rim, not between you and the bike.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline TPXX

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 03:41:46 PM »
I just replaced my batteries on my 2008. They actually worked up until about February of this year on the original batteries! It was relatively easy to do, and while I did not test my batteries before the tires were mounted both of mine worked although they seemed to take a little longer to display pressure than they used to. Good luck getting your new style sensors to work!