Author Topic: Money no object, whats the best brake upgrade for the C10?  (Read 13099 times)

Offline ATC Buckeye

Money no object, whats the best brake upgrade for the C10?
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:57:14 PM »
I bought another bike this year, and when I ride the Connie, the one thing that leaps out at me is the brakes on the C10. They're just not doing it for me. I've got stainless lines, rebuilt the calipers and master cylinder, and added Carbone Lorraine brake pads with new fluid. 

Without going into to much detail I may be going back to the C10 as my primary ride in the spring, and if so I'm willing to drop some dough into the brakes.  So what are my options that don't involve raw metal fabrication, as i dont have the resources for that. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:27:43 AM by ATC Buckeye »

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
Re: Money no object, whats the best brake upgrade for the C10?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
Try and find a set of front brake adaptor brackets and mount some 4 pots on the front. then when you get the stock front brakes off send me the left front 2 pot caliper and I'll convert it to fit the rear. Then you will have some brakes 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:11:27 PM »
Yes I would definitely like some adapter brackets, where can i get them?

Try and find a set of front brake adaptor brackets and mount some 4 pots on the front. then when you get the stock front brakes off send me the left front 2 pot caliper and I'll convert it to fit the rear. Then you will have some brakes

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:13:50 PM »
There is a deal in the works to get these made again, hopefully very soon and they will be available thru one of our industry members.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:15:25 PM »
A C14.

Offline Motor Head

• Resurected Concours, $260 Purchase & Counting
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:15:33 PM »
 Read Here if you haven't: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=657.0

I just did the 4 spot upgrade to my 90 C10. I looked for brackets for it, and could not find them so I made them. Another member has just bought calipers, so I may make another for him.
 If you have the Later 94 up forks, the brackets would be different. From what I understand from searching, the Suzuki DL VStrom  uses the same. Try here at SV Racing for the later Brackets. http://www.svracingparts.com/products/#ecwid:category=472407&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

For the Pads I'm Running EBC HH on all, both front and rear.  It stops real good, and for me the cost was about $80 front, and $25 rear.

Hope this helps.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »
I have a 97.  A c14 is not a good fit for my size or riding style.  Which one of those brackets work?  They carry brackets for both the 650 and 1000 vstrom.   Unfortunately I do not have the resources or know how to make my own. 

Offline Motor Head

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 08:45:55 PM »
 I would contact them, I have No way of testing the Brackets for you. I did a Lot of looking and I found this Canadian site selling the Brackets. I believe it will be the DL 650. But I would shoot them an email, or give them a Bell.

1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »
I remember that company back when i had a DL1000.  They're pretty well respected, but i doubt they would be willing to advise me to use that product on a bike other than the one its intended for.  But, I will check and see what their return policy is.  Maybe they'll let me buy both and test fit them and send em back if they don't fit.  There are tons of 4 pots that fit those brackets on eBay for not a lot of money and I'm guessing that would be a solid upgrade.  Only 2 things I really dont care for with the C10 are the handlebars and the brakes, and I paid so little for the bike $1600, that I don't mind spending a bit to bring it up to date. 

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 09:04:28 PM »
I thought we were talking about SV650 caliper brackets when we were talking about this.  Anyhow, I bolted a stock sv650 caliper (from my 01 SV) on my stock 98 front end and it fit.  So if you get one for that application, it should work.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Motor Head

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »
 You will be glad you did it. While the search I did led me to their site, I did not save the Lead that sent me to the brackets, which explained that they were a bolt on for the C10 Concours with the later forks. They use the same Caliper, and the Rotr is supposedly the same Dia. Of course this is only what I read through and can not verify the fitment.
 They will most likely have had enquirers to just that though. They may also as you suggested do returns. Or there is always a DL person who would love to up grade also.

Well there you go, someone has done it already.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 09:12:29 PM »
Interesting.  That same company does make sv650 brackets as well for 4 pot Tokico or Nissin calipers. 

Offline Motor Head

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »
 Yes, I would have the info of the Rotor Dia, the Bolt hole Center to center of the fork ears etc, and get in touch. I think they may also have Nissan Brackets.
 The extra braking will make a set of soft forks Dive. Depending on your condition, you may want to do something there as well.There are a couple of great write ups already on fork mods.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »
Good call.  My forks are already race teched up.  Looks like those brackets push the new calipers outboard so I'd need larger rotors as well.

Offline Motor Head

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
 If they take larger rotors you will really get some leverage on the wheel then, you'll be able to lift the rear wheel a long ways off the ground like the stunt guys.
 I think the DL Bracket was supposed to fit the stock Rotor, but like I said that's only what I remember reading. No way to verify.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 04:33:02 AM »
Sounds like the sv bracket is the one I need, no?  Not the dl one, but maybe theyre the same anyway.  This is good info, I really hope they bolt right up.  There are tons of calipers on eBay that will fit those brackets. 

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 05:27:53 AM »
  I don't think you can beat this. 320mm waves, 4 pots, braided 2 line. Also raceteched (4 holes in blowoff +2 turns preload on blue springs) 5" cut from stock springs, fork brace and an avon storm ultra 2. I think this is a good as it gets on a stock front end. Steve

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 07:38:45 AM »
"stock" he says?!   ha!  Just kidding.  I know what you meant.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 08:50:09 AM »
Steve what bracket is that for the 4 pots?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:09 AM »
Steve what bracket is that for the 4 pots?

It's from Shawn Forgacs, zrxmopar, but I don't think he's making them anymore. While I personally won't copy someone elses design, I do think Shawn is done with it and it's up for grabs. I know a local guy who may want to take on some limited production if you're interested, but I won't have a hand in it. Money isn't a motivator for me to set my personal ethics aside, but the reality is if there's a demand, someone will fill it. Steve