Author Topic: smooth idle, white smoke  (Read 4062 times)

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
smooth idle, white smoke
« on: April 03, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »
Hi all -  so I brought home a $500 deal of a 1987 Connie. When I bought the bike, it had a slightly louder than acceptable clatter which sounded like camchain / valve issue, but the bike started and ran smooth, so I took the chance (for only $500? No-brainer to me) and brought her home.

So I spent yesterday and today replacing fluids and adjusting the valves and playing with the really simple aftermarket cam tensioner and was feeling very good.  Old fluids (oil, brake, hypoid) looked really good, no metal bits in the oil, etc.  I put it all back together and with some admittedly old gas in the tank, started it up.  I finalized the cam chain adjustment and most clatter was gone.  Engine idled nicely.

Problem?  A generous but not overwhelming amount of white smoke came out of the exhaust for 1 and 2 (a tiny bit on 3/4).  I let it run until hot (I changed the coolant, so I needed the thermostat to open up), but the smoke never went away.  This is not good.  Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?  Anything Concours specific to look at first?

"This is where I place a funny comment."

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
Re: smooth idle, white smoke
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »
NEVERMIND - Nervous Parent syndrome.  I slightly overfilled the oil (didn't need 3 quarts?)  Drained it out a bit, let it sit, restarted it with everything adjusted right, and no smoke!  Sorry for the bother.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 02:10:21 PM »
Is your oil level about halfway up in the sight glass after sitting shut off for a while on the center stand?

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »
just in case...there are 2 oil drains.

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 03:05:06 PM »
After letting it sit, the oil was all the way to the top of the window.  I drained almost a full quart (and saved it).  It's still a little over halfway.  I guess I should have pulled the oil filter too, but I don't have a replacement, and after seeing how nice the old oil looked, I figured to ride it a while with just the new oil.  I'm pretty sure the P/O changed all the fluids shortly before letting it sit and deciding to sell.

As for the two oil plugs - one is the filter, correct?  Or are there actually three bolts concerning the motor oil on the bottom of the engine pan?

Offline Bikenagain

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »
There is 3 bolts - 1 for your filter, 1 next to the filter which is the back sump plug and the other is under the crankshaft area - same size as the other one. If you drain the main back one first you will only get 150 to 200 ml out of the front one.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 11:40:41 AM »
If you replace the filter and pull both drain plugs, you will need 3.2 qt. to get it to the center of the sight glass.  Pull just the 1 drain plug next to the oil filter and replace the filter, you'll need 3 qt.

Offline tradrockrat

• One World Karate
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »
You'll be pleased to know that my service manual (and a few other doo-dads) are on the way to my door from Murphskits.  No more panic attacks or ohmygodanotherguywhojustwontbuythedarnmanual questions.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 09:29:23 AM »
You'll be pleased to know that my service manual (and a few other doo-dads) are on the way to my door from Murphskits.  No more panic attacks or ohmygodanotherguywhojustwontbuythedarnmanual questions.
:rotflmao: