Author Topic: Specific questions for C10 owners with Avon Storm 3D XM tires on their bikes  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Charliedog

I'm not trying to start another tire thread, I just have some specific questions.  I like the idea of contemporary tires for our Classic C10.

Did Avon finally get rid of that riding-on-ball-bearings feel around semi's on the interstate?  I'm tired of fighting the instability of the Storm 2's.  I'm also thinking a 120/70 might be more stable than a 110/80 front tire.

I realize they haven't been on the market very long, but if you did wear out a set, how many miles did you get out of them?  What tire pressures were you running?  TIA

Larry  aka  CharlieDog
Bristol, TN
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Charlie,

Even the newer model 94+ C10 front wheel is too narrow (3.00") to properly fit the 120/70 tire. You will find that no tire manf recommends the 120/70 on a 3.00" rim as it is going to be pinched and ends up with a pointy profile that while it turns-in faster it also makes the bike feel like it simply wants to fall over in turns. If you are running -93 with a 2.15" rim you don't dare run anything bigger than the 110/80 tire. With that being said this is why many folks run the 110/80 up front as it actually fits the rim as it should and gives a broad round profile. As to riding on ball-bearings next to the semi's some windshields are worse than others namely the stocker; also the black boot scoops are really bad at causing the dirty air dance.... Now if your willing to go old school and trade some quickness in the steering try a set of 130/70 & 160/80 tires was they will fit just fine they tend to make the bike VERY stable out on the interstate.... Also be sure that your steering stem bearing are tight "ALMOST" to the point of adding drag...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Charliedog

Tony,

Thanks for the reply.  Not to be argumentative, but I find it surprising that the factory would have a tire too wide for the wheel as oem for a number of years.  Regarding the windshield, my bike did have a GIVI windshield on it, which is more upright with a less pronounced flip at the top than the stocker, and it was the same-or worse-in terms of stability.  And I have replaced the black boot scoops with the Euro fairing extenders.  And I have checked the steering head bearing.

If Pilot GT's were still available in the Wing sizes, I would not put anything else on the bike even tho with a ZZR1200 rear shock on the bike both wheels were still on the ground with the bike on the center stand. No complaints in terms of ride, handling, steering response, or longevity (21,000 miles).

Larry  aka  CharlieDog
Bristol, TN 
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Believe what you like but first look into the facts that all current tire manf call for a 3.50" rim or wider to fit the 120/70 whereas the OE Dunflop K701F had a rim spec of 3.00" and "oddly" enough the measured tire width was actually 110 not the 120 they claimed it to be. As an OE tire it was made specifically for the Concours...

I run a 3.5" x 17" front rim on my bike with a 120/70 tire and it looks absolutely huge in width when compared to the 120/70 tire mounted on the 3.00" rim...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010