Author Topic: Leak in final drive?  (Read 4225 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Leak in final drive?
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:07:17 AM »
Ok, so I got off the final drive for changing my tire. It had what looked like water in it.  When the drive tilted on it's side some fluid leaked out of the weep hole, it was fairly clear so I got to thinking it was maybe the final drive fluid in it. This morning I went out an looked at the final drive. I had it propped up in the proper orientation and yet the was a considerable puddle that came out from the side of disconnect from the shaft. So my question is, do I in fact have a leak that needs to be delt with?

jirod

Re: Leak in final drive?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:19:34 AM »
Ok, so I got off the final drive for changing my tire. It had what looked like water in it.  When the drive tilted on it's side some fluid leaked out of the weep hole, it was fairly clear so I got to thinking it was maybe the final drive fluid in it. This morning I went out an looked at the final drive. I had it propped up in the proper orientation and yet the was a considerable puddle that came out from the side of disconnect from the shaft. So my question is, do I in fact have a leak that needs to be delt with?
If it was gear oil you would know by its viscosity just by rubbing it between your fingers, and it probably wouldn't look that clear unless you just changed it. Same with engine oil. Maybe it is water from condensation or that got in through the venting hole. Hard to tell from the photo.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
Maybe I didn't clarify it enough. What I thought was water is probably gear oil. I couldn't go back now to check as the oil over ran it. My question though is the fluids that came out of the final drive, whether it is oil or water, and it is oil (that is the pic), is that indicative of a leak? It doesn't seem like there should be fluid in there.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 03:48:16 AM »
While there shouldn't be oil in the drive shaft tube there just about always is some from either the front end seal of the gear drive or some from the rear seal on the engine.... What I would do is drain and replace the gear oil with fresh making sure to not overfill the unit once installed. I would then watch the oil level for changes and for leakage to occur. The gear drive is fussy about positioning  and can leak if tipped too far forward for long period of time.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Leo

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 06:26:00 AM »
It is seldom that you separate the final drive from the swing arm tube that you don't see a little lube from the drive migrated there.  I drove myself batty 20 plus years ago, changing "O" rings and all, but There was always a little bit to gear lube there.  It was never enough to lower the level in the drive itself.  I figured at least the input shaft would never be rusty.  I just wipe a thin layer of rtv on the flange and tighten the 4 bolts.  Put 94K on the first one, 88K on the 2nd, 12K on the one I totalled and 50K plus on the last one, and the little burp of gear lube has never caused any harm.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Leo

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 06:27:15 AM »
It is seldom that you separate the final drive from the swing arm tube that you don't see a little lube from the drive migrated there.  I drove myself batty 20 plus years ago, changing "O" rings and all, but There was always a little bit to gear lube there.  It was never enough to lower the level in the drive itself.  I figured at least the input shaft would never be rusty.  I just wipe a thin layer of rtv on the flange and tighten the 4 bolts.  Put 94K on the first one, 88K on the 2nd, 12K on the one I totalled and 50K plus on the last one, and the little burp of gear lube has never caused any harm.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
Thanks, that's good to know. I got it put back together yesterday and then polished the cans. Part of that was to mitigate some of the rust forming. Plus it makes them look darn good. I need to give the bike a good bath and then replace the seat cover. That should make it look nice.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 05:21:49 AM »
...replace the seat cover.

Sargent makes a very nice kit for maybe $60 or so if you are doing it yourself.  Very easy to do with a decent staple gun and small hammer.  Install it on a warm day in the sun so it is nice and flexible.  Don't stretch it too tight.  I've had one on my red bike for 7 years now and it still looks great - just a little wear at the gas tank.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 06:06:31 AM »
Yes, that is the one I have. I just have to look for our staple gun.