Author Topic: Will Military take on American Citizens over Gun control?  (Read 7027 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Will Military take on American Citizens over Gun control?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »
Kent State comes immediately to mind and if you search back through history there are other examples...

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - "Ohio" (1970) Kent State University

I visited the memorial this past summer after a short meeting with Poke.

Please note that this has absolutely nothing to do with gun control yet the fact remains that our soldiers have been used to fire on civilians in the past since this country was founded.

I could not, and would not fire on unarmed civilians if I were a soldier.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:36:23 PM »
I pictured it as some new form of government employee equivalent of TSA workers collecting them.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:30:45 PM »
I pictured it as some new form of government employee equivalent of TSA workers collecting them.

And this will be their uniform..

COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:55:59 PM »
And this will be their uniform..

While I get it, and not cracking on you, that's a horribly sad commentary of the current state of mind. We're Americans. The thought of civil war is fathomable but disgusting to me. Steve

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »
Some will obey their orders, some won't, how many that obey will it take to achive what the Gov't wants? Less than you think.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 12:16:29 AM »
Some will obey their orders, some won't, how many that obey will it take to achive what the Gov't wants? Less than you think.
And even fewer if the 2nd is abolished even further.  Which IMHO is their goal.  Who is they?  That's the million dollar question.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 01:35:41 AM »
Sorry,

Gotta throw the BS flag. Think this is a ratings harvest, very little real info, alotta speculation and fear mongering.

Will the military fire on the populace? - of course they will. Many, many precedents - virtually all  being in response to mob violence (NY Draft riots in the 1860's, veterans protest 1920's, Kent State, 1970, LA Riots).

Will they control the populace - no.

1. There's not enough of them to do so - not even close.

2. Posse comitatus act prevents them even policing in the US.

3. All officers take an oath to the CONSTITUTION - not the Commander & Chief.

4. The people most likely to need 'controlling' - the "bitter people who cling to guns & religion" in the South - are where the vast majority of trigger pullers come from.

5. 4 Star generals dont 'fire' on anyone. They dont even give the orders to do so. They dont even make the specific plans to do so. They design campaigns, garner resources, give broad guidance, etc.  Specific plans are made by MAJ's and LTC's - normal guys in their mid-late 30's. Actual shoot orders are given by CPT's and LT's in their 20's.

A military coup by a lower 1-2 star general is far more likely than a nation wide martial law.   
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:30 AM »
Thanks for that....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 04:53:54 AM »
Did some research on "dr" James Garrow. Seems he likes to "say stuff" but doesn't like to back it up. Read for yourself - http://poundpuplegacy.org/node/45036  Steve

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 05:00:48 AM »
Posse Comitatus is dead.
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R42659.pdf

The Posse Comitatus Act outlaws the willful use of any part of the Army or Air Force to execute
the law unless expressly authorized by the Constitution or an act of Congress. History supplies
the grist for an argument that the Constitution prohibits military involvement in civilian affairs
subject to only limited alterations by Congress or the President, but the courts do not appear to
have ever accepted the argument unless violation of more explicit constitutional command could
also be shown. The express statutory exceptions include the legislation that allows the President
to use military force to suppress insurrection or to enforce federal authority, 10 U.S.C. §§ 331-
335, and laws that permit the Department of Defense to provide federal, state and local police
with information, equipment, and personnel, 10 U.S.C. §§ 371-382.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 05:46:29 AM »
Wow...excellent read, Gary.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:44:25 AM »
I agree furbo, they are making political hay, both sides of the story. But I think that many here think that its going to all of a sudden be a free-for-all with firefights down every street and a sudden breakdown of order and with chaos the rule. Thats not what I mean, I don't see that happening. But remember, it was a few short weeks ago we were laughing at guys burying their guns. Theres going to be pockets of resistance and more and more incidents. I know many here have taken an oath, I have also, but some will obey and some will not, the Gov't knows this. They know they can't ban all guns in private hands, right now. Look at the U.K. and Australia to think it can't happen here. I know we have a constitution. We are two simple votes away in the Supreme Court from losing our rights as two justices stand to retire soon. The Supreme Court rules. We can sight laws, amendments, rules, oaths, justice, rights all we want, in end, if ordered, the military will take whatever measures are needed to do what they are told to do in light of whatever incident is judged as necessary to disarm a populace. Some will obey, some will not, over time as more incidents happen, the average American will gladly give up rights to ensure what they think is safety, all the while being told what to do by a willing media, we are watching happen right now.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 06:48:45 AM »
 :'(

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »
While I get it, and not cracking on you, that's a horribly sad commentary of the current state of mind. We're Americans. The thought of civil war is fathomable but disgusting to me. Steve

While I understand and agree with you Steve, if an agent of the govt comes knocking on my door, demanding me to release my
firearms, well, conversation is obviously non-existent since they are demanding. Resistance would be my mindset, and protecting
my constitution and my rights would be in force. I hope this matter can be solved well before a scenario like this could materialize,
but this is a real path we are heading down, with division among our countrymen, weather legal or illegal, and that's what our
current administration is counting on, hence, the dual agenda of 'gun control' and immigration laws happening together.
Divide and conquer seems to be their method, jmho..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »
... We can sight laws, amendments, rules, oaths, justice, rights all we want, in end, if ordered, the military will take whatever measures are needed to do what they are told to do in light of whatever incident is judged as necessary to disarm a populace.

I agree that the 2nd amendment is under threat from a minority of whacko handringers.  BUT - I really don't see the Military being used to disarm the populace.  Assuming the significant legal issues could be overcome - there remain the problems of demographics: the great majority of combat troops are white, rural, blue collar guys from the S and Texas....exactly the place where many of Americas guns are at. 

And NUMBERS. There aren't enough soldiers to even begin to round up 300M guns from over half the 300M population.....the entire Army is only 480K, the USMC 175K. Of those, the percentage of actual door kicking combat troops is less than 60%.

To make the point - we've had 100K soldiers in Afghanistan for the past 18 months in a population 1/10th that of the US...and as any of my friends will tell you, we have most definitely NOT disarmed the populace... :yikes:
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
As a Canadian I'm reading these posts with great interest as we went through portions of this exercise in the not to distant past with the exception of not having a 'second amendment' to fall back on.
When we talk about the government disarming it's people and the ludicrous-ness of it, it makes me wonder how the Nazi's were able to disarm their populace in the 1930's.  Just boots on doors and lots of stoolies I would imagine. 
I could imagine it happening to the flock of Canadians, we're just a bunch of sheep, for the most part, but in America? I just can't imagine it.
Any government thinking they are going to disarm citizens who want to remain armed is dreaming.  Could Obama be that misled?
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »
Well it would be much easier for Germany to do it since they have a land mass of 137,847 sq. mi. and the good old US of A has 3.79 million sq. mi.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »
Maybe a lesson from 1933 Germany will help.

Decree of the Reich President for the Protection of People and State
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_Fire_Decree
The Reichstag Fire Decree (German: Reichstagsbrandverordnung) is the common name of the Decree of the Reich President for the Protection of People and State (German: Verordnung des Reichspräsidenten zum Schutz von Volk und Staat) issued by German President Paul von Hindenburg in direct response to the Reichstag fire of 27 February 1933. The decree nullified many of the key civil liberties of German citizens. With Nazis in powerful positions in the German government, the decree was used as the legal basis of imprisonment of anyone considered to be opponents of the Nazis, and to suppress publications not considered “friendly” to the Nazi cause. The decree is considered by historians to be one of the key steps in the establishment of a one-party Nazi state in Germany.

Order of the Reich President for the Protection of People and State

On the basis of Article 48 paragraph 2 of the Constitution of the German Reich, the following is ordered in defense against Communist state-endangering acts of violence:

§ 1.

Articles 114, 115, 117, 118, 123, 124 and 153 of the Constitution of the German Reich are suspended until further notice. It is therefore permissible to restrict the rights of personal freedom [habeas corpus], freedom of (opinion) expression, including the freedom of the press, the freedom to organize and assemble, the privacy of postal, telegraphic and telephonic communications. Warrants for House searches, orders for confiscations as well as restrictions on property, are also permissible beyond the legal limits otherwise prescribed.

This was followed by The Enabling Act of 1933.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling_Act_of_1933