Author Topic: Will you be my neighbor?  (Read 9925 times)

Offline W14

Re: Will you be my neighbor?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 05:59:44 AM »
Other places in Virginia to consider all have 4 seasons and you can ride throughout the year:
- Richmond and surrounding localities (Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover, etc.), major airport, 70 miles to BRP and Skyline drive, 100 miles to ocean, 50 miles to Williamsburg, 100 miles to D.C., many scenic routes, several major universities, land in outlying localities, historic area
- Charlottesville, regional airport, 30 miles BRP and Skyline drive, college town (UVA), many scenic routes, wealthy town, some parts rural, historic area
- Fredericksburg, fast growing area, regional airport, some parts rural, scenic roads, 50 miles from D.C. and Richmond, major university
- Williamsburg, Colonial Capital, 50 miles to beach, 100 miles to BRP, 50 miles to Richmond, great scenic routes (Rt 5), near Jamestown, James River, College of William and Mary, airport

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 06:25:35 AM »
I'm staying in Cincinnati because it's home, nasty weather and all.  If I'm put in a position that I have to move, I'd look at Asheville really hard because I'm just about guaranteed work.  However, I've got a buddy that moved to Albuquerque about 8 years ago and loves it.  He always after me to move out there.  I rode the Blue Monster out there last summer during the heat wave.  Beautiful area with lots to do but I like rain and duck.  Not a lot of either out there. 

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 08:11:31 AM »
  Yep, gotta luv Michigan weather.... ;D   I keep tellin' you, especially with that lake effect snow,you need a sled!
   Although, with that said, Linda & I have been looking for retirement real estate east of Lexington, Ky( Blue Grass Airport ) & northeast of Gatlinburg, Tn.(McGhee-Tyson airport in near-by Knoxville) . The bad thing about G'burg is that we have to keep expanding our search due to excessive over developement.  The developers have pretty much ruined the Wear's Valley area to the west of G'burg! >:(
There's also some ok real estate s.w. of Knoxville/Marysville, northwest of Tellico Plains( & the Cherohala Skyway ;D ) along the Tennessee River watershed. The summer humidity would be the stopper for us, although a quick ride up in the mtns. would remedy that. Not being able to sit COMFORTABLY outside in the summertime kills the deal for us!
The Williams, AZ area looked nice too when we drove thru there last summer. Temps in Vegas at the time were 104 & Williams was only 90...
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 08:21:08 AM »
- Fredericksburg, fast growing area, regional airport, some parts rural, scenic roads, 50 miles from D.C. and Richmond, major university

Too close to me...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 09:00:46 AM »
Might have to start doing like a lot of our neighbors do and bug out for a few months during the worst of the winter.... I keep thinking about us missing out on watching the grand kids grow up and that makes me sad and I know that would make the wife even more sad. Stay someplace different and warm each winter as long as we can bring the 3 furry ones.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »
Yep, that's what's keeping us in this area.....grandkids.   Otherwise we'd be out in the Valley near Roanoke.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 04:02:42 AM »
Another point no one has mentioned about Virginia is how lax they are with gun laws and purchases.  For the normal law abiding citizens, it is very easy to buy just about anything firearm you could want.  But as MOB said, the taxes and general cost of living can be a little out of hand.  Especially for those of us further up into Northern VA.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 04:08:03 AM »
Would you call the gun laws lax or reasonable?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 04:32:42 AM »
Would you call the gun laws lax or reasonable?

In comparison to what? I don't know about Ill-inois but in MI no ID is needed to simply purchase ammo, long-gun purchase require NO state registration or purchase permits, pistol purchase does require a purchase permit but it is really easy to get from your local PD, and registration after purchase with the state. Open Carry is legal, a CPL (concealed carry license) is very easy to get. My local PD encourages you to get your CPL; and once you have a CPL you are no longer required to get a PP for each handgun purchase. How does that compare; are we lax or reasonable?
Tony P. Crochet

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 04:45:48 AM »
T, not to distract from your thread, I would say reasonable. Draconian firearms laws in Ill-inois require registration of all gun owners. ID and FOID required for all gun and ammo purchases. Has been this way for quite a while. No cc. Trying to legislate a 65 dollar/per handgun/per year tax. Just the tip of the iceberg. All Chicago driven. Now back to your original programming. :)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 04:53:55 AM »
T, not to distract from your thread, I would say reasonable. Draconian firearms laws in Ill-inois require registration of all gun owners. ID and FOID required for all gun and ammo purchases. Has been this way for quite a while. No cc. Trying to legislate a 65 dollar/per handgun/per year tax. Just the tip of the iceberg. All Chicago driven. Now back to your original programming. :)

I ain't moving just yet so we can hijack the thread all we want; the TSA don't work here!  :o

65.00 per year per handgun tax? Holy Crap Batman that would be well over 500 bills from my pocket! That is completely unconstatusional..... Chicago people are just plain ignoramus!!!  >:(
Tony P. Crochet

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 05:02:54 AM »
Consider just some of the anti-Second Amendment bills that are moving through the House:

* HB 1294 -- bans many, if not most, semi-automatic firearms

* HB 1599 -- imposes long prison sentences for “unlawful use of weapons”

* HB 1855 -- criminalizes failure to report lost or stolen guns

* HB 4149 and HB 4456 -- Bans private sales of handguns

* HB 5167 -- imposes a 2% surtax on ammunition

* HB 5831 -- requires registration of all handguns

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 06:41:47 AM »
First I will say I am not knocking VA Gun regs at all.

I don't know about Ill-inois but in MI no ID is needed to simply purchase ammo,

No ID required in VA

long-gun purchase require NO state registration or purchase permits

In VA no registration or permits for long guns.  People think they are registering them when they fill out paperwork, but that is no more than for the State Police check (5 minutes).

pistol purchase does require a purchase permit but it is really easy to get from your local PD, and registration after purchase with the state.

In VA no purchase permits and no registration.  Same 5 minute State Police background check as long gun purchase.

Open Carry is legal, a CPL (concealed carry license) is very easy to get. PD and once you have a CPL you are no longer required to get a PP for each handgun purchase.

Open carry legal in VA.  CPL easy to get (no shooting even required and online safety cert ok).  With CPL can purchase more than 1 handgun a month. 

So to sum it up for VA:  No purchase permits required, only 5 minute background check for all purchases, very simple CCL process, And best of all none of your weapons are registered (unless it is a class III). 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
It is a sad commentary when a man has to consider which Constitutionally guaranteed rights are violated when deciding where to live in this country. :(

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 06:58:44 AM »
It is a sad commentary when a man has to consider which Constitutionally guaranteed rights are violated when deciding where to live in this country. :(

Well said.....   :-X

There are several locations in the this great country that you could not give me a home or pay me to live there!
Tony P. Crochet

Son of Pappy

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 07:15:01 AM »
If you are not opposed to the left side of the US, consider Wenatchee or Omak, mountains, water (lakes and rivers), 4 seasons, great riding, frugal property price with a little search, 300 days of sunshine a year, heck, transfer jobs if possible to the coast, although I do NOT recomend living on the wet side (West of the Cascades) as it has been known to rain on occassion.  Puget Sound, lots of tugs, several Navy facilities and shipping ports, Wenatchee is around a 3 hour drive/ride from the Sound.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 07:36:21 AM »
If you are not opposed to the left side of the US, consider Wenatchee or Omak, mountains, water (lakes and rivers), 4 seasons, great riding, frugal property price with a little search, 300 days of sunshine a year, heck, transfer jobs if possible to the coast, although I do NOT recomend living on the wet side (West of the Cascades) as it has been known to rain on occassion.  Puget Sound, lots of tugs, several Navy facilities and shipping ports, Wenatchee is around a 3 hour drive/ride from the Sound.

Anything is possible but I've gotten rather accustomed to having my own 3 room quarters on board this tug; it is highly unusual for even a Captain much less a Chief Engineer to have a Day Office, Sleeping Quarters and a Private Head (bathroom) on vessels of this size. Plus I'm 16 years into this company and they treat their "Core Employees" very well.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 08:08:58 AM »
I am not much into guns, so cannot comment much on the laws surrounding them. But was not there a bad shooting or two in Virginia tech? I hope this does not turn into arena, but curious how things such as that can be avoided.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 08:15:04 AM »
Shhhhhhhh.......quit mentioning VA. Move along there's nothing to see here. Nope, nothing at all. I'll just stay here and keep it all to myself so no one will have to endure the mountains, Shenandoah valley, Piedmont and Tidewater areas. Also we wouldn't want to bore them with 400 years of history with all those museums, plantations and Civil War/Revolutionary war battlefields. They'd get tired of wrestling the big Connie along the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. Yeah, it's better if they just stay away.   ;)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 08:48:40 AM »
I am not much into guns, so cannot comment much on the laws surrounding them. But was not there a bad shooting or two in Virginia tech? I hope this does not turn into arena, but curious how things such as that can be avoided.

Real improvements to Campus Security/Police; armed Factuality Members and even the ability for Students to arm themselves for just in case such and event.

You will NEVER keep a crazy person from acting out with a dangerous weapon such as guns, knives, clubs or even gas and a match....
Tony P. Crochet