Author Topic: Share your favorite recipe  (Read 31857 times)

Offline royal

Re: Share your favorite recipe
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »

I'll give it a shot.  The only thing I make that everyone in my family really likes is tuna fish salad.  Great sandwich to have on a Sunday while watching an old movie or a game.  Here 'tis:

2 cans of Bumble Bee solid white tuna.  Only buy the premium "Black can" Bumble Bee.

One hard boiled egg.

A tablespoon or so of finely chopped Vidalia onion (Or any sweet onion).  Sometimes I make it with finely chopped scallions, for something different.

A stalk of celery chopped pretty fine (I always buy just the heart of celery).

Salt and pepper to taste.

A few shakes of "Old Bay" seasoning.

Mix that all around, breaking the tuna into small flakes.

Add a generous amount of real mayonnaise (I typically use Helman's because that's all I can find in the store.  However, there are better out there.  Just not in NH).

Add half the amount of Cool Whip compared to however much mayonnaise you used.  In other words, use mayonnaise to Cool Whip in a 2 to 1 ratio.

Mix that all around real good and put in the fridge for at least two hours to get it good and cold.

Put it on home made or any really good white bread, toasted.

Serve with potato chips and, I also always have it with a can of Cambell's chicken noodle soup.  Yeah, I know Cambell's really isn't very good, but I'm hooked on it.

I'm a little bit of a tuna salad addict and have tried many recipes over the years.  The one above seems to be the one I like the best, but would love to see any others you guys might have.  My Grandmother's cook, Mildred, made the absolute best tuna salad I ever had.  She died quite a few years ago and she took that recipe with her.  I have tried for years to recreate hers with no success.  It was heavenly....

Royal
The Road Goes On Forever....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 01:44:20 PM »
This is an awesome thread, and I am very surprised by the majority of these recipes are ok for diabetics, like myself.
Now the Raspberry margaritas might drift me over the edge, but it sounds like it would be worth it.
Keep them going all, my pen is getting a workout.
Ride safe all.
Greg

Very much worth it Greg, just don't drink em too fast and get a brain freeze. Don't ask how I know...

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »
Add half the amount of Cool Whip compared to however much mayonnaise you used.  In other words, use mayonnaise to Cool Whip in a 2 to 1 ratio.

Are you sure you mean "Cool Whip" (whipped cream type substance) and not "Miracle Whip" (mayonnaise like substance) ?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline royal

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »

Okay, that was pretty stupid.  Yes, I meant Miracle whip.  I knew there was something off as I was typing it.  Although, I wonder what it would taste like.....
The Road Goes On Forever....

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
Wow, I just did green beans fried in tempura batter with a sriracha mayo hot sauce!
That is all...

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 07:23:01 PM »
OK, looks like I'll be trying some new dishes this weekend, good timing.

My buddy make the most incredible chile rellenos (stuffed peppers), so I came up with a white boy version. I make it almost every weekend now.

15 poblano chilies
1 pound of jack cheese
8 eggs

Sauce
crushed tomatoes
purreed onion
finely diced cilantro
pinch of salt
few pinches of cumin

15 large poblano chiles. Roast them thoroughly, until the skins blacken. I do it on the grill but you can do it under the broiler. Warning! It will stink up your house. Throw them in a heavy plastic bag while hot, and close it up for a bit. The steam helps loosen the skins.

When cool, remove the skins. If you roasted them well, it will be easy. A little rinse in the sink will get them clean. Cut off the stems then put one big slice down the chile to open it up. Now you can remove all the seeds, or if you're like me and like some heat in your food, leave some in. 

A make a very simple tomato sauce from pureed onion and crushed tomatoes with a little chopped cilantro. Put a thin layer of sauce in a baking dish, then a layer your 'flattened' chiles followed by a layer of (I like it cubed) Jack cheese. Alternate layers of chilies and cheese. I usually get three layers of chilies with cheese in between.

Separate 8 eggs. Beat the whites until they are frothy and semi-peaked. Fold in the yolks gently then pour the mixture over the chiles in the baking dish. Don't over fill it, it rises a bit and can make a mess.

Throw it in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes. Take it out and let it rest for about 5 minutes and get ready to overwhelm your senses. I have a small pot of the above tomato sauce. Some folks like a little over the top, some don't. 

Make some rice and beans, pico de gallo and chips and you have a feast.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »
Wow, I just did green beans fried in tempura batter with a sriracha mayo hot sauce!

um...Timalan? You have an address?
"Always take the long way home."

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »
um...Timalan? You have an address?

That was absolutely the best green bean thing I have ever eaten. Idea came from Vegitarian Times magazine my wife had. I didn't follow recipe just read the name and went to work.

Tonight I grilled another pizza by far the best I have ever made for my Daughters 19th Birthday.
Stuff on pizza
Grilled hamburger with onions and green peppers grilled in.
I sun dried Heirloom Cherokee purple tomatoes today so i put them on
Purple onions, roasted red peppers, some Blue cheese from England, some dry cured black olives from France and mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Made my own tomato sauce and crust of course. Grilled pizza in the weber.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 06:34:35 AM »
Okay, that was pretty stupid.  Yes, I meant Miracle whip.  I knew there was something off as I was typing it.  Although, I wonder what it would taste like.....

Just thinking, you might want to go back and edit your original post, in case someone doesn't scroll down and see the correction.  The results might be horrifying. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »
This is just something to munch on but everyone loves it

ALMOND BARK CANDY
1 pkg. almond bark (chocolate or white)   
2 cup. peanut butter Cap'n Crunch cereal   
2 cup. straight pretzels   
2 cup. roasted unsalted peanuts
2 cup. Rice Krispies   
2 cup. mini marshmallows
Melt bark in large glass bowl in microwave. Mix other ingredients together. Add to melted bark. Mix well until mixture is coated with melted bark. Pour into a 11 X 13 pan lined with waxed paper, wait for it to cool and then break into pieces.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 07:29:20 AM »
This is a Martha Stewart recipe; you do most of the prep the night before, and it's not fried so it's better for you. It doesn't hurt that it's fantastic, either...

Baked French Toast (makes 4 slices; serves 2)

Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 4 thick slices challah, brioche, or other egg bread (1 inch thick)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions
  • In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
  • Arrange bread in dish in a single layer; let soak 15 minutes. Turn bread over; cover, and refrigerate overnight.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with butter. With a spatula, carefully transfer soaked bread to sheet. Bake until French toast is set in center and lightly browned on the bottom, 25 to 30 minutes.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline Not4Hire

• Arena
  • & Western-The only two types of music there is...
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »
Fruitcake Recipe

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups dried fruit
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
lemon juice
nuts
1 gallon whiskey

Preparation Directions

Sample the whiskey to check for the quality.

Take a large bowl.
Check the whiskey again to be sure it is of the highest quality.

Pour one level cup and drink.
Repeat.
Turn on the electric mixer;
beat 1 cup butter in a large, fluffy bowl.
Add 1 teaspoon sugar and beat again.

Make sure the whiskey is still OK.
Cry another tup.... Turn off mixer.

Break 2 legs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.
Mix on the turner.

If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose
with a drewscriber.

Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity.
Next, sift 2 cups of salt. Or something.
Who cares?    Check the whiskey.

Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.
Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 gedress. Don't forget to beat off the turner.
Throw the bowl out the window.
Check the whiskey again.
Go to bed.
Who the hell likes fruitcake anyway?
'90-clean one owner-Not4Hire (or sale)
-wants a C14 SO bad--"Non Sequitur" will be her name 
1533, from L., lit. "it does not follow."

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 09:40:21 AM »
I love the fruit cake recipe!  :rotflmao: I used to have one like it for rum raisin cookies.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
Over a year and no new recipes.
Ok, I'll add one.

SAUSAGE SOUP

1/2 large onion, chopped and browned
5 Italian sausage links, opened, skins removed and browned
(I also use Italian turkey sausage, which I buy in bulk, not links, 20 oz package)
1/2 Cup Orzo (pasta)
4 Cups chicken broth
1 36 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
Chopped fresh basil (optional)

Simmer soup 1/2 hour and top with basil

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline quickwilly

• Meh
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
1. London Broil
    a. rub some Montreal salt into the meat and place into a casserole pan.
    b. take a bottle of cheap Merlot and drown the sucker.
    c. marinade for 24 hours in the fridge.
    d. cook to preference on your favorite BBQ. I like to add some hickory chips.

2. Artichokes.
   a. Trim the leaves and stems
   b. bring a pot of water to boil with a veggie steamer
   c. add a little extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and lemon to the water.
   d. steam for 20 min or until the stems are soft

Add Bernese sauce for the broil and either butter or mayo for the chokes.

goes down well with a R&R whiskey and Dr. Pepper. 
2009 Connie
2000 ZX-12R

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
I cook a turkey on my Traeger about every other month or so. I soak the turkey over night in apple or grape juice with peppercorns, sea salt, cumin, cardamom, and any other various spices I have on the rack. Dab of this dab of that, same way I make beer   :P

Anyways, in the morning I take it out and rinse it. I cut up apples and oranges and stuff them inside the turkey while the Traeger is heating up to 300-350. I put the turkey on that temp for about an hour and then turn it down to 200-250 depends on the temp outside (if you own a Traeger you know what I mean, if not go buy one you will never regret it) I smoke it at that temp the rest of the day, usually ready to remove and eat by 4 or 5. These are the best turkeys ever, better than deep frying.  :thumbs:

Last week I was going to do the same thing with a whole chicken. I soaked it in apple juice over night and then in the morning realized I did not have any fruit. I was to lazy to go to the store so I figured I would stuff the bird with red peppers and onions. Obviously a chicken will not need to cook as long so either throw it on and eat it for lunch or wait til later and have'r for dinner. I put the chicken over rice and it was absolutely awesome. I will be doing that again this weekend.

Great thread guys. Next up a beer recipes  :chugbeer: Maybe I should start another thread for that.

Any chance we can make this a sticky brutha??  :hail:
+1

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
I will be doing that again this weekend.

Yummy!  :P

What time should I be there Gumbi?  :)

Offline Makz58

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
This one of my favorites although I have a lot of them....you can put this on rice or noodles whatever you like. Garlic bread also goes good with this.

-One sausage link smoked type ham sausage works fine.
- Ten or so large peeled and deveined shrimp tail on (handle for eating).
- Four or five large garlic cloves.
- One large sweet onion.
- One large green or red pepper.
- Your favorite hot sauce.
- Five or six medium size fresh tomatoes.
Cut up sausage and vegetables into chunks brown sausage in skillet throw in onions and peppers simmer. Remove ends from tomatoes and chop up fairly fine add to pot add minced garlic cloves salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for half an hour or so toss in shrimp cook till they turn pink and serve. Hot sauce to taste.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline captainmarko

• COG# 10462
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
Irish Beef Stew (Slow Cooker)
Yield: 4-6Prep Time: 35 minCook Time: 9 hoursTotal Time: 9 hours 35 minutes
A slow cooker beef stew that's easy to prepare. Full of flavor from the beef broth, red wine and Irish beer; the ultimate comfort food.

ingredients:
2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch pieces, approx. 2 cups
2 lbs baby red potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch pieces, approx. 2 cups
4 stalks celery, chopped, approx. 1 1/2 cups
4-5 carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, approx. 2 cups
1 medium yellow or white onion, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 3/4 lbs stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp butter, I used Kerrygold salted
2 cups low sodium beef broth
3/4 cup red wine
3/4 cup Guinness
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 Tbsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp water
salt and pepper, to taste

directions:
Place the chopped vegetables into the crockpot. Rinse the meat and pat dry with paper towels. Salt and pepper the beef.

In a large, heavy bottomed skillet, heat olive oil at medium to medium-high heat. Add beef to the pan and brown on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute, do not burn the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the beef and add to the crockpot on top of the vegetables

Turn the skillet back up to medium heat. To the skillet, add butter until it's melted. Add beef broth, red wine, beer, tomato paste, sugar, soy sauce and thyme. Using a wooden spoon, stir the liquids as well as scrape the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, allow to boil for at least two minutes. Then lower heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add cornstarch and water and stir together.

Pour broth mixture into the crockpot over vegetables and beef. Add bay leaves and cook on high for 4-6 hours or 6 to 9 hours on low.

Skim the fat from the stew, if needed, before serving.
Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.