Author Topic: Trailering  (Read 14051 times)

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
Trailering
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »
Hey all,
         In preparation for my mistress's first trailering next month, I did a lot of reading.  What I read in a post on the old site worked for me this morning (yes... I did a test run), so I thought I would post my method.  I drove on the roughest roads around here and now have full confidence, as opposed to when I first started...
         I bought a wheel chock at Harbor Freight, and installed it on my 5x8 utility trailer (3/4 inch plywood floor).  It is the chock with the back part that flips up and grabs the tire when you drive your bike in.  It holds the bike upright with no signs of flexing at all, and allowed me to really take my time and study where to tie her down.
         Opinions on how far to compress the forks were varied, so I went with about 3/4 compressed.  After removing the four quick rivets on the cover under the headlight, I was able to wrap an 18" tie extender around each fork leg at the tree.  Down at 45 and out 45 degrees from there allows contact free strapping.  No tie touching paint anywhere.  I use the ratcheting type ties btw.
         One tie on each side at the midpoint attached with 12" extenders at the frame(?) just above the pegs.  My straps are long, so I ran the hook through the extender and back to the trailer.  Ratchet enough to get her straight upright.
         The last set of straps went on the "arms" that the luggage rack is mounted to.  These went basically straight out to the sides of the back end, and down to the outside edge of the trailer.  I brought the rear end down about two inches using the ratchets.  Rechecked the other straps and made an adjustment or two.
         A Hail Mary and off I went.  I stopped after the first ten feet or so (couldnt stand the suspense) and all was well so went another five miles).  No loosening of straps anywhere.  Drove her around with me on all my errands with no issues at all other than a couple of Hog riders asking what was wrong with my bike...

Hope this helps someone.

Offline turbohawk

Re: Trailering
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »
Drove her around with me on all my errands with no issues at all other than a couple of Hog riders asking what was wrong with my bike...

Did you ruin their day when you said "nothing at all"?   :-[

Bob

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:57:36 PM »
Did you ruin their day when you said "nothing at all"?   :-[

Why would it have to ruin their day? Why do y'all constantly have to be like that? Why couldn't they genuinely be concerned for another motorcyclist, even though he didn't ride the same brand? I get so tired of this anti anything other than C14 (especially Harley) bullcrap!   >:(

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:00:59 PM »
I find it humorous.  If you don't can't help you. Have a nice day.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 07:04:25 PM »
Last month made 25 years of legal street riding.  I abide by the golden rule, and dont really care what you ride.  These two guys were just being friendly, but if I had a dollar for every time I've been hassled by the Hog riders I would have that full exhaust I want so bad...  Course doing things like proudly riding my Connie into the traditionally Harley only back parking lot of Hoss's may be egging them on...

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 07:50:40 PM »
Without bringing out the violin, I used to ride Harley's and the crowd, while diverse now, still has one thing in common: a prevalent disdain for "rice burner" riders. Doesn't matter how much it cost or how technically superior: In their eyes (as a group, not necesarily when alone) we are traitors to the "creed". I have NO problem calling Harley riders scumbags because in my personal experience all but literally a handful are exactly that. 

PLEASE lets not go down the road of asinine politically correct BS on this site. If that's the consensus, tell me now so I can contribute elsewhere.

We're all adults and if the shoe fits...

Offline booger

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »
I dunno.  After 27 motorcycles and 45 years of riding, I have trailer a bike only once.  It was kind of embarassing.  I pledged to myself years ago.  If I can't ride it there, we're not going.

Offline RadarTF

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Hauling_on_a_trailer

This will answer some questions for you.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »
         Opinions on how far to compress the forks were varied, so I went with about 3/4 compressed. 

That seems a little tight when using the harbor freight roll in chocks IMHO.  The chock does a great job holding the front end in place for you without needing a lot of down force.  I helped my friend set up a covered trailer with a single torsion axle with 2 of them to haul his bike and a friends from WI to TX for work and I don't think he compressed the front fork more than an inch - I'm assuming you compressed are talking about 3/4 of travel, not 3/4". 

We put eye-hook bolts in front of the bike and behind it and used 4 ratchet straps (two in front to keep it from rolling out of the chocks and a slight bit of down force, two in the rear to keep from sliding around) and he didn't have any problems there and back. 

Just my 2 cents, I figure less force on the shocks the less chance for damage. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:50:37 AM »
I dunno.  After 27 motorcycles and 45 years of riding, I have trailer a bike only once.  It was kind of embarassing.  I pledged to myself years ago.  If I can't ride it there, we're not going.

I totally agree.  Especially with these bikes, why would you trailer it unless you are moving to new base of operations?

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »
@ OP

I do what you do, except going through 3/4 of the travel seems a bit much.  I compress probably 1-2".

6 straps.  And I have the same chock.  Works very, very well.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »
I totally agree.  Especially with these bikes, why would you trailer it unless you are moving to new base of operations?

You would trailer it if you were going to a five week long Army school and had to bring your gear I'd bet.  I mean, I probably still have the shop record for carrying 9 Super Big Gulps on a bike, but this is a little different.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 07:29:54 AM »
track weapons dressed for CCS/Wera belong on trailers  ;D

along with HONDA generators for the tire warmers  ;D

Insure sure yer tag dedicates the trailer for the purpose  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Bob

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 07:39:54 AM »
 Sometimes trailering is nessasary. Sometimes it just makes things easier or possible by trailering. Most of my bikes have been on trailers for something. Being able to ride the bike on vacation while having the family, bringing the bike in for maintenance and/or warranty issues are two big reasons in my book.
 I don't justify my decisions on using a trailer or not to others. That of course is my choice for my reasons. Just as people choose never to use them for their own reasons. Everybody has their own reasons. But I will say that I didn't trailer a whole lot with my bikes in the past. That is until I bought a bike with KIPASS. Then I found myself trailering the bike to the dealer more than I ever would have wanted or planned for!  :o

Offline Astrobob

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:56:47 AM »
I rode my bike to "Trailer Week" aka Bike Week in Daytona ;D

Offline varnado

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
If you have a wheel chock system on your trailer there is no need for excessive fork compression. My Kendon has a chock type of device that holds the front wheel in place. I normally run a strap around the chock and wheel then to the trailer for insurance I guess. I use two straps to the bars with Canyon Dancer straps to help stabilize it and go. No need for three bikes to ride 400 miles of slab to get to the good roads when you have a trailer for gear and supplies. Of course if the slab is the ride, Im all over it and ready to go.
Ride Safe, Randy

08' Concours 14
08' B-King

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 10:03:22 AM »

Why would it have to ruin their day? Why do y'all constantly have to be like that? Why couldn't they genuinely be concerned for another motorcyclist, even though he didn't ride the same brand? I get so tired of this anti anything other than C14 (especially Harley) bullcrap!   >:(

Then quit worshipping Harleys......
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Bob

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 02:18:17 PM »
Then quit worshipping Harleys......

I don't worship Harley's! I just get annoyed by motorcyclists (especially our very own C14 owners) having the very anti (other bike) attitude, that you despise such in a lot of the Harley guys! No I just get annoyed by all A holes like this. Not just the Harley guys like that!

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
I always put the front wheel in the front left corner of the bed and put one strap from the handlebars to the stakehole in the left front corner and cinch it down.  Then one each way from the rear subframe around the back seat area to each stakehole at the middle of the bed.  I have yet to trailer the connie, as it may be too big to push up a 2x12 into my pickup.  Been cross country this way while moving multiple times without incident.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Rawman

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 03:13:33 PM »
If you have a wheel chock system on your trailer there is no need for excessive fork compression. My Kendon has a chock type of device that holds the front wheel in place. I normally run a strap around the chock and wheel then to the trailer for insurance I guess. I use two straps to the bars with Canyon Dancer straps to help stabilize it and go. No need for three bikes to ride 400 miles of slab to get to the good roads when you have a trailer for gear and supplies. Of course if the slab is the ride, Im all over it and ready to go.
If you don't compress the forks, even with a chock, the straps will come loose when the forks DO compress from bumps in the road.  Be very careful if using Canyon Dancers, the handlebars are aluminum and you hit a large bump the handlebars can snap.  IIRC, someone snapped one of their bars by strapping them down by the handlebars.  Go under the fairing and go across the triple clamps.  Just watch for the 2 wires on the right side, and it is a PITA (Pain In The A$$) to get the straps under the wires.

I have had to trailer my bike 3 times in 2 years.  I move around the country a lot and need both my car and bike with me.....
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L