Author Topic: Anyone remove peg feelers?  (Read 10745 times)

Offline xKLR

Anyone remove peg feelers?
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
I'm wondering if more cornering clearance can be had be removing the peg feelers. Has anyone done this without scraping hard parts? Years ago I did this on my FZR, after ditching the oem muffler for something more compact. Even without the feelers the pegs were the first thing to touch down. Yamaha put a long feeler on the right side to touch down before the stock canister, and put the same length on the left side for appearances. The left side peg feeler was unneccessary from the get go. I'm curious, is this the case with the C14? I could use a little more lean angle now and then.

-RC

Offline ZedHed

Re: Anyone remove peg feelers?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »
I'm wondering if more cornering clearance can be had be removing the peg feelers. Has anyone done this without scraping hard parts? Years ago I did this on my FZR, after ditching the oem muffler for something more compact. Even without the feelers the pegs were the first thing to touch down. Yamaha put a long feeler on the right side to touch down before the stock canister, and put the same length on the left side for appearances. The left side peg feeler was unneccessary from the get go. I'm curious, is this the case with the C14? I could use a little more lean angle now and then.

-RC

The pegs fold -  so how much more clearance do you need?
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »
I have taken one peg feeler clean off and I have gotten that peg to scrape a couple times since the feeler disappeared.  I have yet to scrape hard parts. The lean angle on the C14 is criticized by the moto rags but I find that it has quite a bit of clearance aside from the low and wide set pegs.  Here are a couple pics to give you an idea.

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:17:41 PM »
Yep, I removed mine, but not for the same reasons as you. I am not a aggressive rider in the corners. Living in east central IL we don't have to many twisties. I found they caught on my boots when taking off from a stop and it annoyed the hell out of me  ;D
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline xKLR

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 08:21:35 PM »
The pegs fold -  so how much more clearance do you need?

Another half inch or so would be nice.

-RC

Offline xKLR

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:23:53 PM »
I have taken one peg feeler clean off and I have gotten that peg to scrape a couple times since the feeler disappeared.  I have yet to scrape hard parts. The lean angle on the C14 is criticized by the moto rags but I find that it has quite a bit of clearance aside from the low and wide set pegs. 

Stock or aftermarket cannister? I'm still running stock, but I'll swap it if it hits before the peg.

-RC

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
The pegs will give you plenty of warning. My rule is if I have to lift my foot off the peg, it's time to straighten out. I did quite a bit of testing with that. Unless you race, you will be un-nerved before anything important scrapes the ground. That is even without those little feelers.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »
The pegs will give you plenty of warning. My rule is if I have to lift my foot off the peg, it's time to straighten out. I did quite a bit of testing with that. Unless you race, you will be un-nerved before anything important scrapes the ground. That is even without those little feelers.

exactly .
the feelers are there to warn you .
Take em off then you be scraping the  brake and shift levers  before the peg hits.

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:48:05 PM »
exactly .
Take em off then you be scraping the  brake and shift levers  before the peg hits.
I think you misunderstood me. Even without the little feelers, the pegs still contact the ground well before anything else, including brake and shifter.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
I think you misunderstood me. Even without the little feelers, the pegs still contact the ground well before anything else, including brake and shifter.

you dont usually realize it till you look down on chewed up levers.

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 11:06:08 PM »
you dont usually realize it till you look down on chewed up levers.
Maybe if you have your shifter adjusted downward that might be possible. I haven't tried that. From stock position or higher, I have never had a problem. Now if you like to use the rear brake while making hard right turns, scraping the pedal is the least of your problems.

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:30:10 PM »
I just went out and measured what's left of my feelers. At 3/8" at the innermost point on the peg, the feelers seems to be just barely keeping the tip of the pegs off the ground. There are some very minor scratches on the end of the pegs (possibly just from some loose particulates on the street). I might try to fashion a replaceable feeler set at this length on a new set of pegs if it happens to get worse. I will find out shortly now that spring seems to finally be setting in here in the northwest. ;D

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 02:58:39 AM »
I removed mine because it scares the sheite out of me when I hear them scrape and I tend to stand the bike up with is a bad thing.

After four hard riding days in the mountains where I pushed the bike as hard as I wanted, I didn't scrape anything and had as much fun as I wanted.  No chicken strips either  8)
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Bob

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 04:43:20 AM »
I took my left side peg feeler off in the first 10 seconds. Just drop the bike on it's side, and the feeler is already off for you!  ;D

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 06:04:25 AM »
exactly .

I haven't scraped the rear brake lever, but the shifter sock has taken a little bit of abuse do to no feeler remaining on the left side.  I'm sure that if I took the time to adjust it up a hair that I wouldn't be able to lean the bike over far enough to touch it.  Much farther over and I would be getting pretty close to the lower fairing or the bags.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 06:06:03 AM »
Stock or aftermarket cannister? I'm still running stock, but I'll swap it if it hits before the peg.

-RC

Stock exhaust that has been chopped 9 inches.  There is plenty of clearance with it, the peg hits well before any hard parts.  There was a thread on the other forum that showed a bike that had been leaned so far that the lower fairing was scraped.  IIRC it was Fretka.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »
I worry about my shifter too.  I had to adjust it downward from stock position because my feet don't operate at that angle.  It did get bent slightly in a parking lot drop.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »
I will find out shortly now that spring seems to finally be setting in here in the northwest. ;D

Oh ya, 70 and sunny today here in Portland!! About freakin time it stopped raining...  8) 

Offline Rowlander

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »

Oh ya, 70 and sunny today here in Portland!! About freakin time it stopped raining...  8)
I hear ya. (Tacoma) After I got done installing a PCV, I took a nice trip to the Oregon border and back. Beautiful day.

Offline m919

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 02:32:35 AM »
Jeremy, what kind of tires are you running to put sooo....much faith in?
2009 kawasaki concours (red)
1999 honda valkyrie(sold)
2002 honda cb919(sold)