Author Topic: Ultra tour and windshield mech. Any problems?  (Read 4675 times)

Offline h2smokin

Ultra tour and windshield mech. Any problems?
« on: May 19, 2011, 02:46:26 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with there windshield mechanism when using the ultra tour shiled? Mine sure seems to move alot when I'm on the hiway. I'm usually running 80+mph though. Just seems to move more than I like, everythings tight so I'm assuming its just the size of the shield. Thanks

Offline CEuler

• Have Fun, Ride Safe!!
Re: Ultra tour and windshield mech. Any problems?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »
I dont usually run 80+ but i havent had any issues with mine.  Obviously, the higher it is the more cause for concern.  I only run mine about 2 to 3 inches up unless its raining.  And even then, I may not raise it any.  Hope this helps!

Have Fun, Ride Safe!!
2008 Kawasaki C14
COG# 9399
ROK# 100027255

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »
could be turbulence.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline GMan

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
While I don't ride for extended periods over 75, I've had mine well over 100 for short stretches with no issues whatsoever.  I can't say that I've noticed any movement.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
I have one and I'm getting a pronounced rattle from the mechanism going over bumps. Haven't taken it apart yet to see if I can stop the noise.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
Mine moves a little at speeds over 65 or with headwinds but not enough to give me any concern.

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »
I had mine about 1/2 way up or so in its quiet spot for me. My only concern is on my trip in a week and a half I'm taking. Guess I'll find out, thanks

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
I remember someone in the old forums saying that their bracket broke as a result of the shield being in the full up position at 150+ MPH.

Mine shakes a bit more than the stock windshield, but considering the thickness of the material and the  extra pressure put on it by the wind, I find it acceptable. I usually ride with mine up slightly or completely down.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »
The Ultra Tour definitely shakes a bit when it's full-up and at speed. I have found that if I just drop it a half-inch or so it stabilizes fairly well. But to minimize the opportunity for failure, I try to bring it to full-up BEFORE I get to highway speed; it seems like the shaking is worse while bringing it up at highway speeds.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »
>32,000 miles and mine has been high speed tested too.  no issues to report with the shield or the bike 'cept its nice and tall!  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 04:18:29 AM »
It's really not a big deal to check the mechanism out.  Remove the windshield and the front cover and start wiggling to feel you have any movement where it shouldn't be.  The central mounting point is the one that has been breaking.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.