Author Topic: Rear tire shield and keeping clean  (Read 17447 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: rear tire shield and keeping clean
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »
I called David and got a recording.
I left a message asking him if would be interested in doing another group Buy Price for COG.
I will let you know what I find out.

If he is in agreement, how many would be interested, and which one (plastic or Carbon Fiber)?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline petepro

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »
If he is in agreement, how many would be interested, and which one (plastic or Carbon Fiber)?

Depends on the price.   But I might be interested in a group buy.
Pete

2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »
I'd be interested in a plastic one...

(unless the carbon ones are way cheaper than I'm expecting them to be...)

Would need to know a price before committing...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline AlanS

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 12:09:38 PM »
Would be interested in either, carbon is the price is down, if not plastic.
Looking at huggers would like to add on over the Winter.
Don't Panic!
'08 Suzuki DR650SE Mootzimo
'09 Honda GL1800Navi/XM HAFACAR
'12 Kawasaki ZG1400 Concours

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »
These things aren't cheap.
(During the last group buy (June of 2012),, price was'

Fiberglass rear hugger $135.95 plus shipping
              Carbon Fiber $230.00 plus shipping

I would expect that it has gone up since then.

I'll let ya'll know the current price (if he is in agreement to giving us a discount) on a group buy..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jbirdnc

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 08:01:26 PM »
I would like one

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 10:53:13 AM »
Waiting impatiently.... :-\

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »
David did not reply to my message.
I plan to call him again on Monday.

Monday Update: I called David again and left a message for him to call me.
                         I also sent a note to Project D and asked them if they would participate.
                         I will post information as soon as I get a reply....

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:31:09 AM by connie_rider »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
To me that's a lot of money for an item that does nothing to keep the road crap from throwing up on the tail light, rear trunk, or passenger.. the only thing it protects is the rectafier and the under seat area... a small rubber flap cut from an old innertube attached up to the opening by the electric box accomplishes that quite nicely.. for free. I think one that sits back on the rear of the tire, kinda like on the BMW big GS bikes would be a better choice for the money,  the road slop shoots straight up off the back of the tire like a rooster tail... before the tire ever rotates to the area protected by the currently available huggers...
Again, JMHO

Kinda like this

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jbirdnc

Re: GROUP BUY !!!! rear tire shield and keeping clean
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
When I saw the Hugger installed the owner said that the shield was stopping road grime from being thrown on him. When I'm riding my white socks are getting dirty above my boot under my long pants, I hope this will help, anyone have input?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: GROUP BUY !!!! rear tire shield and keeping clean
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 04:17:56 AM »
The Group buy information has been split off and made a sticky in the C14 Accessory board until it ends.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18207.0

Please direct all replies concerning the group buy to that topic.  Thanks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 09:38:50 AM »
To me that's a lot of money for an item that does nothing to keep the road crap from throwing up on the tail light, rear trunk, or passenger.. the only thing it protects is the rectafier and the under seat area... a small rubber flap cut from an old innertube attached up to the opening by the electric box accomplishes that quite nicely.. for free. I think one that sits back on the rear of the tire, kinda like on the BMW big GS bikes would be a better choice for the money,  the road slop shoots straight up off the back of the tire like a rooster tail... before the tire ever rotates to the area protected by the currently available huggers...
Again, JMHO

Kinda like this

MOB is correct. This Road hugger thing is for looks only and does nothing but make a huge mess all over the whole bike. Far worse than stock.
I know because I have one. When I ride in the rain my C14 is by far the worst bike I have  ever ridden for seeing  in the rain and also creating a big cloud  of mist that gets all over the top of the rear of the seat and on  my back and also floats up into my face from the triple tree area. Think of Pig Pen in the Charlie Brown cartoons because that is exactly  what is is like. I  love the looks but my C14 is really bad compared to my C10 and my KLR which are fantastic in the rain.
Experiences may differ from bike to bike. This is mine.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Rear tire shield and keeping clean
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »
I just got off the phone talking with Ted and did not realize some of you were not going to remove the  existing rear fender. So running the hugger and the rear fender should work.
My rear  fender is missing and probably is why i am having the above issue.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »
I just got off the phone talking with Ted and did not realize some of you were not going to remove the  existing rear fender. So running the hugger and the rear fender should work.  My rear  fender is missing and probably is why i am having the above issue.

Funny you should reply to yourself thusly, because I was going to point out that I don't have the spray problems you describe, but I am using the stock setup.  So I was going to ask if you were commenting about the stock setup being poor or just using the hugger.  I decided not to post and just wait and see if I was misreading it or what.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 04:39:00 AM »

MOB is correct. This Road hugger thing is for looks only and does nothing but make a huge mess all over the whole bike. Far worse than stock.
I know because I have one. When I ride in the rain my C14 is by far the worst bike I have  ever ridden for seeing  in the rain and also creating a big cloud  of mist that gets all over the top of the rear of the seat and on  my back and also floats up into my face from the triple tree area. Think of Pig Pen in the Charlie Brown cartoons because that is exactly  what is is like. I  love the looks but my C14 is really bad compared to my C10 and my KLR which are fantastic in the rain.
Experiences may differ from bike to bike. This is mine.

I just got off the phone talking with Ted and did not realize some of you were not going to remove the  existing rear fender. So running the hugger and the rear fender should work.
My rear  fender is missing and probably is why i am having the above issue.

I kept my rear fender and I have none of the 'Pig Pen' issues you're describing.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 04:56:58 AM »
I've never really looked under there that well.  If you can't see it (well even if you can see it with me) it has to be clean.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »
Funny you should reply to yourself thusly, because I was going to point out that I don't have the spray problems you describe, but I am using the stock setup.  So I was going to ask if you were commenting about the stock setup being poor or just using the hugger.  I decided not to post and just wait and see if I was misreading it or what.

I have the rear fender and get crap on the trunk locking mechanism when riding in the rain.  I am getting the rear fender extender as well as the front fender extender and will see how well that works. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 06:28:05 AM »
I have the rear fender and get crap on the trunk locking mechanism when riding in the rain.  I am getting the rear fender extender as well as the front fender extender and will see how well that works.

I don't have a trunk, so I don't pay attention to that area.  That might be the difference.  But I am fairly sure nothing ever gets on my jacket.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline BMahar

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 04:57:55 PM »
  Do it ever rain in Florida ??
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 04:41:20 AM »
  Do it ever rain in Florida ??

Every day at around 2:30p.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn