Author Topic: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down, KIPASS failure  (Read 31138 times)

Offline lolife

:-[ :-[

My 09 has almost 23,000 miles of worry free, great riding.  I was riding home Sunday when  I stopped for gas & my Kipass wouldn't work.  I banged on the switch with the back of my hand & got it to free the switch. 

After arriving home, nothing. I removed the little panel on the LH side & can unplug the grey connector to get the bike to the dealer.  Thankfully its still under warranty for another 6 months or so.

I know some are saying "damn, another Kipass thread".   :o

When I bought my C-14 I always wandered why not just a regular key switch?  I'd rather keep up with a key than a fob, key switches work & really its kinda hard to improve a key switch.  I don't understand why so many car manufactures are going away from keys?   :-\  My wife's 2012 Durango doesn't have a key either.

I just thought I'd report here.  If anything it gets a tad of frustration out.  Its supposed to be 65-70 degrees next weekend & I doubt I can get my bike back in 5 days.  I may ride it unplugging the connector.   8)

Thank you for listening
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:44:42 AM by VirginiaJim »

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
I look forward to hearing the fix, not bashing by any means.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
If it's failing consistently then I say "Good show, ole chap!".  It's the intermittent ones that the dealer is reluctant to 'fix'.  Let us know what they do.  Some say they are replacing the spring with a stronger one.  I wouldn't let them off the hook if all they do is spray it 'clean'.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lolife

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
If it's failing consistently then I say "Good show, ole chap!".    I wouldn't let them off the hook if all they do is spray it 'clean'.

Yes, its broken completely.  I've banged on it with my hand but I'm not using the ol' K-Rock.   :D

Spraying it clean is not a fix.  That's a band-aid.  I won't settle for that w/o an argument. 

Thank you for the replies

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:58 PM »
Yes, its broken completely.  I've banged on it with my hand but I'm not using the ol' K-Rock.   :D

Spraying it clean is not a fix.  That's a band-aid.  I won't settle for that w/o an argument. 

Thank you for the replies

good luck and keep us posted. Totally agree with the good ol' key. I hate hating, but I hate technology for technology's sake.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »
:-[ :-[

My 09 has almost 23,000 miles of worry free, great riding.  I was riding home Sunday when  I stopped for gas & my Kipass wouldn't work.  I banged on the switch with the back of my hand & got it to free the switch. 

After arriving home, nothing. I removed the little panel on the LH side & can unplug the grey connector to get the bike to the dealer.  Thankfully its still under warranty for another 6 months or so.

I know some are saying "damn, another Kipass thread".   :o

When I bought my C-14 I always wandered why not just a regular key switch?  I'd rather keep up with a key than a fob, key switches work & really its kinda hard to improve a key switch.  I don't understand why so many car manufactures are going away from keys?   :-\  My wife's 2012 Durango doesn't have a key either.

I just thought I'd report here.  If anything it gets a tad of frustration out.  Its supposed to be 65-70 degrees next weekend & I doubt I can get my bike back in 5 days.  I may ride it unplugging the connector.   8)

Thank you for listening

Sorry you are having a problem.  I don't think they fixed the spring issue until the updated 2010 model year.

Keyless is *wonderful* on my car.  I have one fob, I keep it in a fanny pack or briefcase and never even think about it.  I love it.  I don't have to mess with ANY keys, EVER.  And the ignition is a push button switch.  I can open doors, trunk, even the gas filler, AND start the car, without ever touching the fob.

But on the C-14, it really does nothing for me at all.  Since it does not unlock the gas tank, and does not unlock my bags, I still have to carry a key, or mess with the silly stovekey.  And there isn't an ignition button, it is still a key switch, so I have to fiddle with something to get the bike ready to start.  And it doesn't lock or unlock the steering automatically, so you have to press, then wait, then press (but not too soon) and try to turn, etc.   It has almost all the disadvantages of a mechanical system (difficult to use, mechanical failure, multiple keyholes, manual switching, etc), all of the disadvantages of an electronic system (complex, expensive, batteries, etc).

Keyless on a bike is a good concept, if done correctly.  KISPASS is neither.  Let the flaming begin!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:27:08 PM »
I thought I had a KIPASS issue, turned out to be loose intermittent ground at the battery.
 :D

And since I have to carry a key for the bags, top box and house, I think of the stove bolt key as my spare. Hidden in plain site.  :stirpot:
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »
I was 1200 miles from home when my problem reared it's ugly face, but was lucky enough to get it to work, so I could start the bike.
I recently bought a Concours ignition off a wreck for $30, just so I could dissect it. I don't think the manual, shows the inner workings of one.
I haven't drilled out the factory break off screws to remove the triple clamp yet, but have removed the door where the solenoid switch is. It has a finger that falls into slots on the barrel, where the key is. While it is engaged, the finger prevents rotation of the key tumbler. When the key is pressed in and KiPass is satisfied, the finger is lifted by the solenoid switch.

The finger is located in that small slot, above the solenoid.

The plastic capsule is where the wires are sealed in a silicon like substance, maybe a solid state board in there.

Under this door is the tumbler where the infamous spring, that gets replaced, is located.

I'll put more photos up after I get everything apart, then the more knowledgeable can explain the inner workings for us.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
Sorry you are having a problem.  I don't think they fixed the spring issue until the updated 2010 model year.

...at which point they put the old spring in the glove box KiPiss where is still doesn't work worth a damn.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »
Not implying anything but do you use the stove knob key for everything, or does it spend it's whole life in the ignition?

Hopefully you get this taken care of without any additional headache.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:27:57 PM »
...at which point they put the old spring in the glove box KiPiss where is still doesn't work worth a damn.

I wouldn't put it past them to do that..  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lolife

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »
Not implying anything but do you use the stove knob key for everything, or does it spend it's whole life in the ignition?

I've only removed my stove knob once just to do it.  I use the key in the back of the fob for my bags. 

Offline texrider

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »
I use the 'stove knob' key to open fuel and bag locks, and I occasionally give all key slots a shot of WD-40. Nary a problem so far, save one low FOB battery. (Knocks on wood)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »
I use the 'stove knob' key to open fuel and bag locks, and I occasionally give all key slots a shot of WD-40. Nary a problem so far, save one low FOB battery. (Knocks on wood)

WD-40 isn't the best thing to use since it actually attracts dirt and displaces grease.  I use a dab of dry graphite lube and it doesn't wash any of the good stuff away.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 05:57:34 PM »
Is it a good idea to remove the stovetop occasionally?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »
Bad juju...

Offline JerBear

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »
I think Ma Kawi would be best served if they went to a regular key and spent the money they saved on a better way to keep the bags in place.  Kipass is a solution looking for a problem and by golly if there isn't a problem it will create one without a solution!
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »
I do not believe it makes any difference whether you remove the key or not. Some people have a belief that removing the key is somehow bad but I think that is entirely superstitious. Clearly Kawasaki meant for the key to be removed or they would not have put the letters "FSS" on the ring around the key in the position where it can be removed (Fuel, Saddlebags, Seat or Saddle). I remove the stove knob key from the ignition whenever I need to open anything on the bike and have since 7/07 and coming up on 80K miles without incident. Then again, I am the one who invented the KiPass Bypass too....  :D

There is a lot of 'hocus pocus' about KiPass but much like 'kill the virgin, grow the corn', it seems to work but there is no correlation IMO.

Brian

Is it a good idea to remove the stovetop occasionally?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »
WD-40 isn't the best thing to use since it actually attracts dirt and displaces grease.  I use a dab of dry graphite lube and it doesn't wash any of the good stuff away.

I was going to say the same thing.  WD-40 should not be used in locks and intricate mechanical works.  It tends to gum up things and attract dirt.  It is great for unfreezing simple mechanical, like rusted hinges.  It is also good for removing sticky stuff, followed by something like alcohol to get rid of the WD-40.

I have always been told that graphite is the only proper stuff to use in locks.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »
I think Ma Kawi would be best served if they went to a regular key and spent the money they saved on a better way to keep the bags in place.  Kipass is a solution looking for a problem and by golly if there isn't a problem it will create one without a solution!

I think they should scrap kipass and replace it with a simple, intelligent (chipped) key, to help deter theft.  Then spend the saved money on an integrated, factory cruise control and HID lights.