Author Topic: Flies out and loving it  (Read 15682 times)

Offline metzgerf16

Flies out and loving it
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:33:38 AM »
I know this has been said many times already, but I recently removed the secondary flies and am very happy with the results.  I also installed a BMC air filter and PC-V with map from Fuelmoto.  The improvement in power under 6k rpm is amazing, and I have to agree with all before me who've said that this is the way the bike should have come from the factory.  If anyone is on the fence about removing the secondary flies, I say go for it.  You won't be disappointed.  Btw, thank you to everyone who posted on the old forum about removing the flies.  Your info and pictures were a great help.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline Mighty

Re: Flies out and loving it
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:46:58 AM »
I have the same setup and agree 100%  ;D
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
My fuel mileage has suffered severely since doing this mod because I can't keep my right wrist in check.

Free horsepower (besides buying a PCV) and more usable torque make the C14 a totally different bike.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
Lol...I noticed that I burned through a tank pretty quickly yesterday, but I was playing around a lot to get acclimated to the new power curve.  I also noticed that my factory tires really are shot already.  Rolling on the throttle half way thru the turns with the extra torque stressed the rear tire more than normal and showcased just how crappy it is.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:52:54 PM »
Agreed but removing the 'flies really isn't a performance modification. It simply frees the 1400 cc engine that Kawasaki crippled with the secondary butterflies ('flies) and allows it to perform like it always should have, at least in my opinion.

Brian

My fuel mileage has suffered severely since doing this mod because I can't keep my right wrist in check.

Free horsepower (besides buying a PCV) and more usable torque make the C14 a totally different bike.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
is there a cache file somewhere of a "how to" on this??

one thing i meant to look up before the crash of 2011....

Offline redbraid

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »
Amen!

Offline gflint

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »
Remember, if you remove the flies you can improve gas mileage only by installing a throttle resistance device to slow down how quickly the right grip can be twisted.  Fly removal also has a major effect on the life of the rear tire.  DO NOT remove the flies while still running on the stock tires.  It will result in stained underwear while accelerating out of corners.  Like Forrest Gump almost said, “**** happens”.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline joedeon

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:16:26 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that this is not advisable if you have the traction control option.  Is this true?  Does it simply negate your traction control system, or does it cause problems with it?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:30:42 PM »
is there a cache file somewhere of a "how to" on this??

one thing i meant to look up before the crash of 2011....
So, I'll share.
Remove glove box, and related tupperware.
Remove tank-I propped it up so it helps to have as close to empty as possible.
Remove two cover plates and peek inside.  Use either a new, quallity #2 philips or a JIS tip, long shank.
If you decide to tap on the screws to aid in removal use caution, you do not want to bend the shaft, the method I used is steady downward pressure, while twisting slightly and lightly tapped the driver.  Others have had varrying degrees of success heating the tip up, which allows the locking agent to soften.  Once all 8 screws have been removed and the bike is back in shape be prepared for fun in the saddle.  Side note-the plates are alluminum so a retriever wont get them out :o
Easy as could be.

Chet

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »
Lol...I noticed that I burned through a tank pretty quickly yesterday, but I was playing around a lot to get acclimated to the new power curve.  I also noticed that my factory tires really are shot already.  Rolling on the throttle half way thru the turns with the extra torque stressed the rear tire more than normal and showcased just how crappy it is.

I also noticed yesterday that I was burning lots of fuel. Well, what I noticed actually was that after a 45 miles drive I went from half tank to reserve  :o
I wonder if it had anything to do with doing 140 mph in the Autobahn...  ::)
What really got into me was that earlier in the day I drove a K1300S and noticed that the gears are much shorter, so I wanted to compare the response of the 6th gear in that one with the 4th in the Kawasaki. After my scientific approach I can only confirm it: the response is very similar...  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 05:36:17 PM »
Is it mandatory to add a PC-V  with  this mod
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
@joedeon  In the old forum (RIP), Fred Harmon posted his results of removing the flies on a 2010 with traction control.  If I remember correctly, he said traction control still worked just fine, but it felt a little more abrupt when it activated.  If I had to guess, I'd say that's caused by having more available power in the lower RPM's.  And when the traction control takes that power away briefly and then gives it back, I'm sure it's more noticeable than with the flies in. 

@Pynikal  Here's a link to Fred's photo gallery of C14 maintenance and modifications.  I found it very helpful.  http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/concours14

@gildaguz  It depends on who you ask.  Some people say the Connie runs a little rich on the low end anyway, so the flies out shouldn't hurt.  Others recommend the PC.  I chose to go with the PC because I was replacing the air filter and exhaust as well.  Also, if you're going to take your bike apart, you might as well make the most of it.  I can tell you that my bike runs very smoothly since doing those mods.  The throttle response is instant, and the pull of the engine is consistent throughout the RPM range.
"You serious, Clark?"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 07:56:48 PM »
Brad, make sure you do some research on pulling the flies and what it will affect since you have a 2011.  The traction control is linked in and works with the ABS and uses the secondary flies to help.  I can't find the info since the crash of 2011, but I am sure there is someone smarter than me that will chime in.  I was able to do this free mod since I "only" have a 2008 that wasn't blessed with all the electronic gadgetry of the newer bikes.

Offline Pynikal

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 08:02:19 PM »
Brad, make sure you do some research on pulling the flies and what it will affect since you have a 2011.  The traction control is linked in and works with the ABS and uses the secondary flies to help.  I can't find the info since the crash of 2011, but I am sure there is someone smarter than me that will chime in.  I was able to do this free mod since I "only" have a 2008 that wasn't blessed with all the electronic gadgetry of the newer bikes.

i will thanks JD.  i really like the fuel economy of this bike i might just leave it alone.  it hauls ass as it is!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »
i will thanks JD.  i really like the fuel economy of this bike i might just leave it alone.  it hauls ass as it is!

My fuel economy hasn't suffered I am just more prone to cracking the throttle than before (I think it is mostly because I have become fully acquainted with my C14).  But when I am easy on it I can get 44 mpg.  While commuting with spirited rides home after work I usually get 35-38 mpg.

Offline Pynikal

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »
i am currently getting 43.7 with the assistance of "ECO" mode

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 08:49:53 PM »
Stock here having only around 37
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 11:10:50 PM »

Good point.  Didn't think about that, but now that I think about that...I do remember Fred stating something about the traction control using ignition timing in conjunction with the secondary flies?  Probably a good idea to do some research first. 
"You serious, Clark?"

Offline Pynikal

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »
Good point.  Didn't think about that, but now that I think about that...I do remember Fred stating something about the traction control using ignition timing in conjunction with the secondary flies?  Probably a good idea to do some research first.

will do thanks again guys.