Author Topic: ZALES Logic?  (Read 14764 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: ZALES Logic?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »
"Maybe individuals carrying guns should have to wear a "licensed gun carrier" type of badge, front and rear, readily visible ... like license plates  :)"

Better yet, have the good guys just do their thing un-labeled, BUT, make the bad guys have to declare themselves!!
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 09:13:36 AM »
Open carry generally has the same privileges and restrictions as concealed with some additional "no, no's." You can't open carry if you're on a college campus or if you're private security and not wearing a uniform. Private property owners have the right to prohibit open carry by posting a sign.

District Attorney Nico LaHood says law enforcement can stop you to ask for your LTC if you're open carrying, "If an officer politely asks you I don't care if you videotape it. Do whatever you want that you feel you need to be protected. Just, 'Yes, sir. Thank you very much, and have a blessed day,' and move on," LaHood told the open carry seminar at STW Krav Maga.

Open Carry Texas disagrees that police have legal authority to stop you only to ask for your license to carry, but they don't recommend disobeying the request unless you have a heap of money to pay for the legal battle.

There probably won't be any need to worry about that in San Antonio, though. Police Chief William McManus said San Antonio officers won't stop you just for openly carrying a gun but he said officers do have the right to ask for your weapon if they stop you and feel unsafe.

"Officers need to be able to protect themselves. So if they feel the need to remove that weapon from the individual, then they're going to do that," McManus said.

McManus also said dispatchers are trained to respond to 911 callers phoning in about someone open carrying a gun by asking a series of questions to determine why that person might be carrying a gun.

http://www.ksat.com/news/new-open-carry-law-fast-approaching

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 09:17:12 AM »
In many states a CHL (concealed handgun license) isn't needed to open carry.
It does seem strange to require a CHL to OC.
Then, it seems strange to me to require a CHL.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »
In many states a CHL (concealed handgun license) isn't needed to open carry.
It does seem strange to require a CHL to OC.
Then, it seems strange to me to require a CHL.

The new license in Texas is called a LTC, or License To Carry. Covers both concealed and open carry.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »
If I owned a retail business, I'd post the following sign:

Dear Customers: 

This establishment supports Article Two of the Bill of Rights. 
                                              Your legally carried firearm is welcome here. 
                                        Discreetly present your CPL at register for 5% discount. 
                                   (No information will be retained or copied, visual display only.)
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Nosmo

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »
Ironically, *THE* place to get guns, accessories, ammo, instruction, etc in this area is Superior Pawn.  Take a guess what signs are posted all over their entrances and in the stores?  "NO LOADED WEAPONS ARE ALLOWED" (with various wordings and additional info).   Now see if that makes much sense!  Are they required by their insurance carrier or something?  I have no idea.  I have been meaning to ask a manager

My GF used to own a pawn shop.
They say this in order to keep idiots from bringing in loaded guns to pawn, and waiving them around.
Not so much for licensed concealed carry people.
They get lots of guns for pawn. They don't want people handing them loaded weapons.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 06:28:08 PM »
My GF used to own a pawn shop.
They say this in order to keep idiots from bringing in loaded guns to pawn, and waiving them around.
Not so much for licensed concealed carry people.
They get lots of guns for pawn. They don't want people handing them loaded weapons.

You mean like this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsecTFkxWwk

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 06:37:45 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 05:39:46 AM »
You mean like this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsecTFkxWwk

That is an epic failure that someone supposedly trained in weapons wouldn't verify it was unloaded, and someone supposedly trained in weapons (a police officer!!!) wouldn't also verify it was unloaded.  It also required a THIRD epic failure of someone storing it in the case loaded, too.  Three failures had to occur.  Wow.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 11:18:58 AM »
That is an epic failure that someone supposedly trained in weapons wouldn't verify it was unloaded, and someone supposedly trained in weapons (a police officer!!!) wouldn't also verify it was unloaded.  It also required a THIRD epic failure of someone storing it in the case loaded, too.  Three failures had to occur.  Wow.

Blame them both, but the cop actually cycled the weapon and loaded a round in the chamber. He EXPECTED it to not be loaded and lost a finger in the meantime. Lucky that nobody off to his left wasn't hit.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »
Blame them both, but the cop actually cycled the weapon and loaded a round in the chamber.

I watched it three more times.  He did pull back the rail, but I watched very closely and saw nothing that would indicate he put a bullet in the gun.  It could have had one in the magazine and that is what he ended up inadvertently loading.... but having pulled back the rail and looking in the breach, it is hard to imagine he wouldn't see it.

He EXPECTED it to not be loaded and lost a finger in the meantime. Lucky that nobody off to his left wasn't hit.

Indeed
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 09:24:54 PM »
A fine reminder to keep your booger hook off of the bang switch.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 06:15:03 AM »
I don't really blame the cop. For christs sake, what was a loaded gun doing in the gun case? It looked like he just cycled the slide and did not see inside the weapon to see if it was loaded. I never like to see anyone messing with the action of the gun and having it pointed in somebody's direction like he was doing. As soon as you do start to mess with it make sure it is pointed in a safe direction and keep your hand away from the front of the weapon.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 06:42:16 AM »
Before I ever dry fire a gun, or even put my finger on the trigger, I check the chamber 3 or more times. I'll even put my pinky finger in the chamber just in case my eyes fail me. Also, I never rack the slide without dropping the mag first. All assuming I am not readying the gun for immediate use. habit habit habit habit. Did I mention habit?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 05:43:07 PM »
I don't really blame the cop.  [...]

He broke three cardinal rules- assume EVERY GUN is loaded until proven otherwise, always point in a safe direction, and keep your finger off the trigger.  Yes, there is blame to place on the gun store too, but his negligence can't be ignored either.  If I were on a civil jury, I couldn't find him any less than 50% at fault.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 05:47:51 PM »
habit habit habit habit. Did I mention habit?

Exactly.  Training, rules, practice, and habit.  Like working with anything dangerous- machinery, electricity, volatile chemicals, driving, power tools, etc, making safety something automatic and habit is the best way.

I have actually had someone in the car with me ask me why I was using a turn signal or looking over my shoulder when there was nobody there.  I responded that I *ALWAYS* use a turn signal when turning or changing lanes and *ALWAYS* look over my shoulder when changing lanes because it should just be automatic.  Yes, one should try to keep mental tabs on what is around you all the time, but if it is habit to always do the right and safe thing, it will keep one out of trouble.  I think of them as "failsafes".

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 09:35:14 PM »
Wow...
Too bad there's actual video to prove my GF right...

I agree, Max... one would think a police officer, of all people, would have followed those important steps.

#1 thing I was taught, never hand over a loaded weapon,  or a weapon that does not have the magazine removed and the slide back so the recipient can visually see the weapon is unloaded.

Also, I was trained to call the index finger a particular name- The Primary Safety.
The Primary Safety is never to be applied to the trigger UNTIL the target has been verified and sighted.

Like you said... epic fails... on both parties fault.
Wow...
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr