Author Topic: Which printer do you like/dislike?  (Read 6499 times)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Which printer do you like/dislike?
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
My HP 5520 took a dump this week.  I've owned it for 2 - 3 years now. Won't print black ink on a printer test page. The other 3 colors work fine. I think I've done everything in my power to fix it. Changed the black ink cartridge ( the one in there said it was full). Ran a test page to align and one to clean the printer head, all to no avail. I'm not a computer guru and don't want to spend a pile of money on a new printer, but I'm going to do something before the weekend is out, I think. I don't do a lot of printing and maybe that's the problem. Suggestions on what works and what doesn't.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Which printer do you like/dislike?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:44:50 PM »
I gave up on ink jet printing- just too much of a pain and too overpriced.  Bought a B&W Brother MFC-L2740DW laser all-in-one.  Got an unreal price- was $300, then on sale for $200, and then another $50 rebate, so it was $150!! Fax, copying, ONE PASS DOUBLE SIDED color scanning, duplex printing, flatbed, networking, color touch screen, USB, ethernet, AND Wifi, web interface, Linux compatible, fast, etc.

1.5 years later,  I am still on the "STARTER" cartridge!  I ordered aftermarket replacements from Amazon for super cheap and still haven't used one yet.  Occasionally I miss color printing, but I certainly don't miss the noise, smearing ink, long waits, constantly being out of some stupid cartridge, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:51:54 PM »
I've had a HP 2540 in my shop for about 2 years now. No complaints. Nasty environment, 115 in the summer, 30's in the winter, it just keeps working.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline O.C.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 01:50:04 AM »
My trusty old HP went bang about a month ago, so I replaced it with an HP ENVY 4500...seems ok so far, I don't use it much tho' 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 02:49:37 AM »
Had a HP-6MP printer for eons, bought just after "daisy wheel" printers went out of style (yes, I'm that old). Toner cartridges were $$, but the printer was a tank.

Added a HP color inkjet something-or-other (695?), and the cartridge life sucked sausages. I didn't print color that often, the 6MP was still the workhorse.

Bought a Xerox 6250 color duplex network laser printer 3-4 years ago, haven't been happier. Toner refills are more than the printer cost (their are four @ $200 a pop), and it DOESN'T print from my wireless networked iPad, but.... "there's an app for that..."

My suggestion is to go for  a 'workgroup' type printer. More bux up front, but they seem more reliable long term. And if Apple products are in your mix, make sure the printer has (or will) talk to Apple crap without having to install 'an app for that'.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 05:22:44 AM »
I also gave up on ink jet printers.  I now have a color laser HL-L8350CDW from Brother.  Does duplex as well.  So far it's working well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 07:22:10 AM »
I hate them all.
Least expensive printer I've ever owned was an Epson Action Printer dot matrix continuous feed (remember that?). After we "upgraded" to color ink jet at home 20 years ago (numerous various brands/models) I took it to work to use as the dedicated company check only printer. Still working perfect when I left a couple months ago I tossed it in the dumpster.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 09:12:03 AM »
I like disposable printers. Occasionally I find sales such as a Cannon ink jet at Wally world for $35. Even with the smaller ink cartridges that come with the printer, it is still less expensive then buying new ink. Several times I've found deals like that and have thrown away punters that were barely used.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 09:57:57 AM »
I'm running a Brother HL-2280DW all-in-one laser (not color). Family likes the wireless print capability.  It scans/copies/prints.  Does two sided print also.

The newer model is HL-2380DW and is $130 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRG01A4/ref=sr_ob_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463673346&sr=8-1

Brother dominates HP, IMO.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »
If computers were supposed to eliminate paper, why did they invent printers?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 01:30:10 PM »
If computers were supposed to eliminate paper, why did they invent printers?

Computers weren't supposed to eliminate paper, just process data in and out.... and later store it.  Paper is a convenient "output" for certain things.  It is far less necessary than in the past, but it can be extraordinarily useful at times.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 01:51:14 PM »
Sometimes it's a necessity.....

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 09:49:21 PM »
No it's not.....
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 11:07:47 PM »
+1 !!!

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 07:07:34 AM »
 :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:02:58 AM by Deziner »
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 08:53:18 AM »
:rotflmao:

:)  That is the exact printer model I use at work.  Have dozens of them.... although they come up with some pretty stupid and interesting error messages, that wouldn't be one of them (yet).

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »
I've had good luck with Canon all-in-one lasers and my current color laser is a Dell with a YUUUUGE footprint. A real tank. Fast, double-sided, all the bells and whistles that I use.

I just won't use an inkjet. Not worth the aggravation.

Laser printers are fairly inexpensive these days, but the manufacturers make up for it with the toner/media. Then they have the gall to warn and threaten you about using 3rd party refilled toner cartridges -- like I'm really gonna be worried that a $200 printer takes a dump after 3 years or more of using those 3rd party cartridges. Chuck it and buy another one.  :popcorn:

2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 08:47:22 PM »
Back in the day......and I'm talking late 70's and early 80's before those new fangled PC thingies came out, I worked on IBM typewriters, particularly Selectrics.  I've seen the havoc that other than OEM ribbons created.  And I'm not being funny about this.   The quality just wasn't there.  You could see the difference on the paper (and that goes for paper as well).  I'd get calls about quality.  Go in and show them the difference between IBM and the others (always carried an IBM ribbon with me).  If they really pissed me off, I'd bill them for the service call......after I took their heads.

But seriously, ink, like oil, is whatever floats your boat.  I've used Lexmark printers with their supplies and others..  I prefer the OEM supplies.  Yeah, they are more pricey but I have less issues with them than the cheapo brands.  When my Brother needs supplies, I'm going Brother, not some no name SOB company with the quality of  :censored: t.   

Hey, but again, use what you want....  I won't use an inkjet printer again, that's for sure.  Pieces of cra :censored: .
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 02:06:42 AM »
I've seen the havoc that other than OEM ribbons created.  And I'm not being funny about this.   The quality just wasn't there. 

For several years we tried to use 3rd party and recycled HP laserjet cartridges at work (where I am responsible for several dozen printers).  What a mess.  Ultimately, every single brand caused major issues.  Poor performance, incomplete life, and sometimes damage.  I finally banned them and went with HP cartridges and never had a single problem ever again.  There was a huge incentive to try to use other ones because the costs seemed to be so much lower.  In the long run, however, the defects and labor to deal with constantly cleaning the printers, sending defective cartridges back, the hit on all the cartridges that didn't even come close to the claimed longevity.... didn't make up for any hoped cost savings.

Hey, but again, use what you want....  I won't use an inkjet printer again, that's for sure.  Pieces of cra :censored: .

+1

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 01:19:59 PM »
I also gave up on ink jet printers.  I now have a color laser HL-L8350CDW from Brother.  Does duplex as well.  So far it's working well.

Gave up on inkjets in the 90's.  Since bought my mother a Brother b/w laser so I don't have to answer her problems with ink either.

My home HP 16xx-somethng is LAN-wireless so my Macs and PCs and iPads can print from anywhere in the house.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)