Author Topic: The Bike Show GTR1400 Road Test  (Read 6481 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: The Bike Show GTR1400 Road Test
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 09:00:18 PM »
So 55 series rear. Stock size on the front?

That is the theory.  The larger diameter tire will correct speedo error (3.2%) and the profile is more rounded, allowing easier/faster lean.  Sounded interesting, but in my case, I can't afford ANY height increase (in this case, 0.85",22.5mm; which divided by 2 is about 1/4 inch at the center of the bike), so when I switched to the great Mich PR3-GT I kept the 50.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:22:37 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 09:32:07 PM »
That is the theory.  The larger diameter tire will correct speedo error (3.2%) and the profile is more rounded, allowing easier/faster lean.  Sounded interesting, but in my case, I can't afford ANY height increase (in this case, 0.85",22.5mm; which could be almost half an inch at the center of the bike), so when I switched to the great Mich PR3-GT I kept the 50.

Why no height increase? Seems like there would be plenty of room for a taller tire.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »
Why no height increase? Seems like there would be plenty of room for a taller tire.
Max has short legs (As do I).  That’s why, silly! 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 03:21:48 AM »
That is the theory.  The larger diameter tire will correct speedo error (3.2%) and the profile is more rounded, allowing easier/faster lean.  Sounded interesting, but in my case, I can't afford ANY height increase (in this case, 0.85",22.5mm; which could be almost half an inch at the center of the bike), so when I switched to the great Mich PR3-GT I kept the 50.

Presuming you're referring to the built in factory "error" on the speedo then correcting that will throw your odometer reading off as that is generally calibrated to be accurate

Certainly over here "European law (ECE-R39) says speedometers cannot show speeds less than the actual speed, and they must never show more than the 110 per cent of actual speed plus 4 km/h. So, under those rules, a car could be moving at 100 km/h, but the speedometer could legally display as high as 114 km/h."
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 05:48:57 AM »

Presuming you're referring to the built in factory "error" on the speedo then correcting that will throw your odometer reading off as that is generally calibrated to be accurate

Here the bikes read about 3% high, which is typical for most vehicles.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 06:20:37 AM »
thats what I asked/said :D
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 10:56:38 AM »

Every bike I've ever checked does that (another crazy and annoyed entry). But when I have checked cars, they are much more accurate. At least according to gps.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 11:43:27 AM »
..... (in this case, 0.85",22.5mm; which could be almost half an inch at the center of the bike)....

That seems high (pun intended), max' did you remember to divide by 2? (since only half of the increased diameter is below the axle) I came up with .375" at the rear axle which would be what?.... 3/16"-1/4" at the pegs?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »
That seems high (pun intended), max' did you remember to divide by 2? (since only half of the increased diameter is below the axle) I came up with .375" at the rear axle which would be what?.... 3/16"-1/4" at the pegs?

Sorry, you are correct.  I did realize I made that mistake shortly after posting and meant to correct it and got distracted and forgot.  Yes, it should be divided by two.  So it is about 1/4" at the pegs/legs (if you also properly adjust the front by the same amount so as not to change the handling).  In my case, that is huge.  Most people won't care.

I have corrected the other post.  Thanks

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »
Max has short legs (As do I).  That’s why, silly!

Exactly.  It won't matter to most people... only those with short legs.  1/4" can make a HUGE difference in such cases.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »
Exactly.  It won't matter to most people... only those with short legs.  1/4" can make a HUGE difference in such cases.

Sorry Max. That thought never crossed my mind. I was thinking maybe you had done some mods that would make clearance an issue. I fall into the "it wouldn't matter" category.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
So it is about 1/4" at the pegs/legs (if you also properly adjust the front by the same amount so as not to change the handling).

Wait... WHAT?...... max' you've per-snickered me.

I don't think anyone raises the front end with the 55 series rear tires, in fact I've often thought that most of the reported turn in improvement came from the slightly changed steering geometry from raising the rear.  and...and... If you do raise the front end a corresponding amount at the front, why would the foot peg height increase be any less than the rear axle height increase?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 03:44:16 PM »
Sorry Max. That thought never crossed my mind. I was thinking maybe you had done some mods that would make clearance an issue. I fall into the "it wouldn't matter" category.

No prob.  But yes, clearance CAN be an issue too, if the bike was lowered.  It is something to consider.  In my http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0 thread, when I talk about how much the bike can be safely lowered, it is assumed with STOCK tire sizes.  If you put on a larger diameter rear tire, that will increase the probability of the tire hitting the frame.... and that could be very dangerous.

Without lowering the bike, there is plenty of room for a larger (taller) rear tire.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »
Sorry Max. That thought never crossed my mind.
Dang long legged flat footed show off!  >:( ;) :D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »
Wait... WHAT?...... max' you've per-snickered me.

I don't think anyone raises the front end with the 55 series rear tires, in fact I've often thought that most of the reported turn in improvement came from the slightly changed steering geometry from raising the rear.

That is true.  Most people do not, and I suspect that does have something to do with what some people might like.  But I suspect one of the large changes people notice is from the profile of the tire.  The 55 is more rounded.  I am not going to comment that it is a good idea to slant the bike more forward (by raising the rear and not the front, or lowering the front and not the rear)- I just don't know.  That is why I recommend always keeping the front and the same stock ratio unless you know what you are doing.  I certainly don't  :)

Oh, and I wouldn't necessary characterize raising the back 11.5mm OR lowering the front by 11.5mm as "slightly" changing the geometry.  According to my friend who knows a lot more than I do about such things, he says that is a pretty significant (moderate) change.

and...and...If you do raise the front end a corresponding amount at the front, why would the foot peg height increase be any less than the rear axle height increase?

I think we are saying the same thing (but it has been a long day at work)  If you put a larger tire on the rear by, say, 23mm larger diameter,  and do NOT adjust the front, the center of the bike will rise by 1/2 of 1/2 of 23mm which is 5.75mm.  (+11.5 rear, +0 front, = 5.75mm center).  If you do adjust the front, raising it 11.5mm to be neutral/same handling, then it will raise the center of the bike by 1/2 of 23, which is 11.5mm.  (+11.5 rear, +11.5 front, = 11.5mm center).  Whew

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
Dang long legged flat footed show off!  >:( ;) :D

You forgot bent knee.  :rotflmao:
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2018, 05:04:17 PM »
  Whew.

Well there we can agree!.  :D

I'm sure some engineering type or even a H.S. student that's recently taken trig could tell us exactly what the rake and trail would change to, but I don't know enough about steering geometry to interpret what the numbers really mean. I resisted the 55 series for quite awhile, somewhat worried that there might be some sort of steering instability induced under certain conditions by the changes.  I haven't heard of anybody that's had any such experiences, and lots of users, so with the turn in improvement, ease of using the center stand, more accurate speedometer, and theoretical extra milage, I've switched to become one of the the 55ers.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2018, 05:12:36 PM »
The main drawback with the 55 is the reduction of the contact patch. I think I'm going back to a 50 series.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »
what the rake and trail would change to, but I don't know enough about steering geometry to interpret what the numbers really mean. I resisted the 55 series for quite awhile, somewhat worried that there might be some sort of steering instability induced under certain conditions by the changes

Well, and if you don't like it, just raise the front 11.5mm!