Author Topic: Contacting celebrities question  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Strawboss

Contacting celebrities question
« on: November 14, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »
I know its a long shot, but maybe not. Talking to my dad when I took him to lunch for Veterans Day, he talked about how the actress Piper Laurie came to his beside in Japan after he was wounded in Korea and talked to him and wrote a letter home to his then girlfriend, who later became his wife, my mom as he was all shot up and unable to do anything. Pics were taken and she stayed awhile. I've tried a few searches with no real results and I thought maybe I should start here as some of you may have had some experiences with this. As she's still with us and maybe not as popular as some of the current "A-List" actors, therefore, maybe not as much fan mail to go through, anybody think it may be possible to contact her, either directly or through an agency? Where would I even start? Studio addresses? Studio photographers? Official Army photographers? Hospital records/info? Any ideas? Thanks. BTW, the U.S. Army lists him as KIA.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Contacting celebrities question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
She was recently in a movie called Hesher. If you google its web site, you may be able to find the director or someone involved with it that can find her manager.  Once you find her manager its game on, I'm sure they would both be VERY interested in talking with you about this.

better yet let me try some searches too in case they may help-

Movie:   http://www.hesherthemovie.com

Huffington post recent article, may give some clues or people to contact to find her:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/04/piper-laurie-book-memoir-detroit_n_1076222.html

Others on here may know her manager or how to reach her :)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »
Hey, great! Thats a start, I had no idea where to begin. I would think she'd remember being there, but specific cases, you think? I did read that she was more involved than most in going and being involved with the troops at the time as it wasn't a very popular war. Well, I got my work cut out, I'll keep you all posted as to what happens. Thanks again, my dad doesn't know I'm doing this, he wants to totally forget his time in Korea, understandably.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
Well, I attempted to contact the source of the story from Detroit through the Huffington post, no go. I attempted to contact the Detroit Press, couldn't find a viable address, no go. The print for the movie ad was way too small to get a name for the director, plus, I wouldn't even know how to contact him/her. Every search turns up thousands of hits, and the ones that look promising send me to other unrelated sites, I'm not going to sift through a week of web pages to find a possible contact. So, thanks anyway, maybe I'll stumble upon something down the road but I don't have the time or patience to search layer upon layer of countless sites. Thank you anyway for what you gave me. I'll wait a bit and try again. Maybe she's going to have a book signing in the Detroit area.

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:04:09 PM »
Don't know how current this is, but...  Here's a listing for her agent.

http://www.filmreference.com/film/91/Piper-Laurie.html

Agent: William Morris Agency, One William Morris Place, Beverly Hills, CA 90212; Judy Schoen, Judy Schoen and Associates,606 North Larchmont Blvd., Suite 309, Los Angeles, CA 90004.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »
Don't know how current this is, but...  Here's a listing for her agent.

http://www.filmreference.com/film/91/Piper-Laurie.html

Agent: William Morris Agency, One William Morris Place, Beverly Hills, CA 90212; Judy Schoen, Judy Schoen and Associates,606 North Larchmont Blvd., Suite 309, Los Angeles, CA 90004.

This! Start with a letter to the agency and ask the agency to contact her and ask if she remembers him. If she does ask if it would be OK for you to send a letter to her through the agency. I bet if your letter is well written, and you have the time to wait (3-6 months) then I bet you can make it happen.

Subscribed for the outcome. Don't give up so easily. The forum can guide you when you get stuck.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:37:26 AM »
Holy Cow Man! How on earth do you guys get this info? I'm not worthy! I just thought I'd get some sort of response within a week from a web based outfit. OK, my writing skills are pretty good, I'm firing off a letter today in the mail, and for something like this, I am a quite patient person. As for the forum, this is my go to place for whenever I need info, its truly amazing what you can get just by asking a simple question. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:44:46 AM »
As for the forum, this is my go to place for whenever I need info, its truly amazing what you can get just by asking a simple question. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Before the crash, someone had gotten answers on how to get their older cat to use a litter box.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:54 AM »
Its almost to the point now that before I even attempt a search, I go here first, many times I should have done that, it would have saved me hours of time. All you need to do is ask!

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 12:48:05 PM »
Holy Cow Man! How on earth do you guys get this info? I'm not worthy! I just thought I'd get some sort of response within a week from a web based outfit. OK, my writing skills are pretty good, I'm firing off a letter today in the mail, and for something like this, I am a quite patient person. As for the forum, this is my go to place for whenever I need info, its truly amazing what you can get just by asking a simple question. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

If there's anyway you can get your hands on the letter she wrote for, or some of the pics taken with your dad, copy them and include them with your letter.  The nostalia thing might increase your chances...

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
My dad only remembers the pics, not who took them, and the letter sadly is gone. His face was was plastered with gauze and tape so her even remembering him is remote. I don't even know the name of the hospital or what city is was in, he did say he caould see Mt. Fujiyama from his window, well, you could just about see it from everywhere in Japan I'd imagine. I'm on it now, I can't wait to send off a letter! Thanks again so much. BTW, he never got his Korean War service medal, he got his Purple Heart, it was pinned to his pillow when he was in the hospital, not good memories for him. I'll work on the medal another time.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 10:06:45 PM »
have a look at this site. It is the bible of movies. You have to subscribe to get all the info, but you can do that for free for 14 days.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001453/