Author Topic: Thoughts on the 2013 Multistrada  (Read 23946 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: Thoughts on the 2013 Multistrada
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
'Stitch year round.  I wanna say 114 in Death Valley a few years ago, vents open and evapo vest.  Fact of the matter, long rides in hot environments a mesh jacket will leave you dehydrated quicker than a 'Stitch, perspiration is evaporated much quicker.  Once your body runs out of juice your "Toast".
Ever wonder why GIs in action have their sleeves down?  Science.  Rapid vs controlled evaporation.  FWIW, I have never heard someone complain of having too much on when they have an off, but plenty who wished they had more :o

Offline pistole

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »
FWIW, I have never heard someone complain of having too much on when they have an off, but plenty who wished they had more

- har har !

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 07:25:41 PM »
'Stitch year round.  I wanna say 114 in Death Valley a few years ago, vents open and evapo vest.  Fact of the matter, long rides in hot environments a mesh jacket will leave you dehydrated quicker than a 'Stitch, perspiration is evaporated much quicker.  Once your body runs out of juice your "Toast".
Ever wonder why GIs in action have their sleeves down?  Science.  Rapid vs controlled evaporation.  FWIW, I have never heard someone complain of having too much on when they have an off, but plenty who wished they had more :o

There is a big difference riding in hot dry conditions and hot humid conditions  There is very little evaporation happening in south Georgia and Alabama with the humidity of 98% and heat indexes of 115.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »
Sounds like home.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 08:12:19 PM »
There is a big difference riding in hot dry conditions and hot humid conditions  There is very little evaporation happening in south Georgia and Alabama with the humidity of 98% and heat indexes of 115.
Spent 3 years in Savannah, GA at Hunter Army Airfield-Ocean on one side swamp on the rest.  BTDT, I'd still be wearing the stitch.  3 years in MD as well.  No change.  Hot is hot.  I will choose sweat over blood all day long, all I need to do is stay hydrated.  The beauty of high humidity and a moving motorcycle?  You still have gas in the tank ;D

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »
Spent 3 years in Savannah, GA at Hunter Army Airfield-Ocean on one side swamp on the rest.  BTDT, I'd still be wearing the stitch.  3 years in MD as well.  No change.  Hot is hot.  I will choose sweat over blood all day long, all I need to do is stay hydrated.  The beauty of high humidity and a moving motorcycle?  You still have gas in the tank ;D

I'll choose Mesh with CE Armor and good abrasion resisance in the impact points.  There are many many choices out there other than Stitch or blood.  Are you a former BMW owner?

How many years ago were you in Savannah?  If more than 7 then you might want to visit to refresh your memory. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Son of Pappy

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2013, 04:18:26 PM »
I could poke myself in the eye again, but what's the point?  We already have one Pokey ;)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »
I could poke myself in the eye again, but what's the point?  We already have one Pokey ;)

Just noticed you do have a BMW.  Drinking the koolaid I see.

Tell me, do you wear the stitch when riding all of your bikes?  If not, why not since it provided such great protection?
My Concours Travels:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 01:32:40 PM »

Tell me, do you wear the stitch when riding all of your bikes?  If not, why not since it provided such great protection?
Wow.  What a dumb ass. :o

FWIW, yes, I wear it whenever I am entering the asphalt jungle.  When I purchased the 'Stitch used (from TCro) the only plated bike I had at the time was the Connie.

I prefer cherry or grape koolaid sweatened with real sugar, I bet you use some artificial sweatner? :P ;D

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »
I love sweet tea with pure can sugar myself!!!!!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline eng943

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »

Oh I see, the stitch only works on the Bimmer's. Now you tell me.   

Anyone interested in a sweaty roadcrafter 44R that I was not afraid to wear in the Southeast in summer? Might be a bit large in the crotch for some. ;) 

I think we all know different riders have different tolerances for temps, and/or make compromises based on protection they seek. The stitch is the best thing going IMO, and offers the best compromise of hot/cold/wet weather capability. I have Joe Rocket mesh with the impact protection, and I have used it for a short ride to the store or something. However, I know it would be vaporized in about 10ft if I laid the bike down.

Anyway, now I need to sell my stitch or my C14 I guess. ;D   

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Son of Pappy

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »
I love sweet tea with pure can sugar myself!!!!!  :thumbs:
Kinda funny, but I fell in love with unsweetend sun tea during my tour in GA.  To this day it is my all time fav, but it's gotta be fresh.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
Oh I see, the stitch only works on the Bimmer's. Now you tell me.   

Anyone interested in a sweaty roadcrafter 44R that I was not afraid to wear in the Southeast in summer? Might be a bit large in the crotch for some. ;) 

I think we all know different riders have different tolerances for temps, and/or make compromises based on protection they seek. The stitch is the best thing going IMO, and offers the best compromise of hot/cold/wet weather capability. I have Joe Rocket mesh with the impact protection, and I have used it for a short ride to the store or something. However, I know it would be vaporized in about 10ft if I laid the bike down.

Anyway, now I need to sell my stitch or my C14 I guess. ;D

I guess that is why all the MotoGP racers wear roadcrafters.  BTW, there is quality gear out there with cordura and kevlar abrasion protection, CE armor and mesh panels so you can be comfortable and protected.  Why would you use a joe rocket mesh jacket when there is much better protection out there?

I mix a dash of lemonaide in my unsweet sun tea.
My Concours Travels:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2013, 06:58:36 PM »
I don't like sun tea. Kind of a sissy drink.

Offline eng943

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 05:44:02 AM »
I guess that is why all the MotoGP racers wear roadcrafters.  BTW, there is quality gear out there with cordura and kevlar abrasion protection, CE armor and mesh panels so you can be comfortable and protected.  Why would you use a joe rocket mesh jacket when there is much better protection out there?

I mix a dash of lemonaide in my unsweet sun tea.

Point to where I said the stitch should be worn by all, and is the only game in town? I simply said I like my stitch, and find it to be the best option for varying conditions/protection.

Yes, I don't stitch up to go the store, or run an errand, etc. I occasionally wear the JR mesh, but as far as fall protection is concerned, it's JUNK. A risk I accept for short runs and low speeds.

Wear what you like....ride what you like, but don't try and bust my balls for what works for me.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline pistole

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 07:02:31 AM »
put the handbag down and step away slowly.

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »
Hmm, thought this was a thread on the Multistrada  :o

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 01:50:56 PM »
lol ! I was thinking about that too ! Guess like the bike, this thread is a 'multi' as well. Goes with the theme!
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
I myself have never cared for the whole adventure bike thing, the look, the idea etc...So, I don't have any plans on buying one, right now if I chose to, I'd get the smaller VStrom. I did however see the new Honda 500cc twin that calls itself a kind of adventure bike. I know, I know, too small, looks only, blah, blah, blah. The idea is kinda cool. Inexpensive, unintimidating to new riders, but certainly appealing to experienced riders, able to get out of its own way, good looking, great fuel mileage, light, low seat height, a street bike that looks like it could do a little dirt. So, the 2013 Ducati is a good bike, everything I've read is good, everyone who rides it likes it. The BMW I'm sure is a good bike, I'm very interested in that new motor. But, for me way too expensive. BTW, I ride with a Joe rocket mesh jacket all summer long, when it gets above 85F, I ride the KZ. When it gets below 65F or so consistently, I switch to a Joe rocket textile jacket. Personally, I don't see myself buying an aerostitch suit, nice, but not for me.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 05:37:43 PM »
There is an F800GS, a 1200GS, or Tiger 800 XC in my very near future. 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine