Author Topic: I'm getting short!  (Read 13438 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: I'm getting short!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
How does your wife feel about this 'woman' thing you're going through?  Sorry, I just can't let this go.

Hush now Robin, what she doesn't know doesn't hurt me.

Oh, top or bottom?

That depends on the day of the week.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 03:50:31 PM »
1 year left baby!

10/31/2013 will be my last day of work before I retire on 11/1/2013.   ;D   8)   :P

I'll be 55 and I'll have worked here for 30 years. That means that I will have reached my maximum pension benefits; 80% of my current salary at retirement with my health insurance paid for and a guaranteed cost of living raise of 3% annually, for the rest of my life! I won't have to pay state taxes any longer, no more paying into my pension fund (8%) no more paying into my 403b (12%). I can't touch my 403b funds till I'm 57.5 but I won't even need it since after you do the math I will actually retire making more money than when I was working.

Paris Hilton would say "thats hot"^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats on retirement!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 09:13:15 PM »
Let us know when you become a two digit midget  ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 04:34:28 AM »
Paris Hilton would say "thats hot"^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats on retirement!

Thanks Steve.

Let us know when you become a two digit midget  ;)

I see that you and I are the same age, when you going?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 05:49:44 AM »
Word of advice from a friend....you probably should change your subject line.  ::)   
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 06:10:02 AM »
Thanks Steve.

I see that you and I are the same age, when you going?

Shoot, not for awhile. I have too much debt right now. At a minimum it will be 13 years from now. To be honest, I don't relish the thought of retiring and sitting around the house so I expect I might be around 70 before I retire, maybe older. I enjoy the work I do and the people I work with plus the intellectual stimulation.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 06:12:45 AM »
Yep, me too.  I can 'retire' from IBM now but the pension isn't worth it.  It more than doubles if I wait until 65 so I'm working at least that long...unlike some people I know.  Sigh.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 06:13:37 AM »
I'm a little jealous... pretty much!!! 61 years and still waiting for more six  till I reach a retirement. That's because I worked for myself for many time and entered to the state 19 years ago. Most of all, my son graduated recently and get  a residency program, so, I have to go to the office five-seven.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:49:28 AM by CARLÃO »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 06:19:40 AM »
Tis the norm these days unless you are Mr. Conrad.  Lucky guy.  I am jealous as well.

Offline timmerz

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 07:25:43 AM »
Congrats Conrad! I've got 6 more years to go, will retire at 65, will be making more on retirement than I am now (fingers crossed on that one!) but will have to pay for our own medical/dental insurance...retiring from the Mining industry in California...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 08:22:53 AM »
Shoot, not for awhile. I have too much debt right now. At a minimum it will be 13 years from now. To be honest, I don't relish the thought of retiring and sitting around the house so I expect I might be around 70 before I retire, maybe older. I enjoy the work I do and the people I work with plus the intellectual stimulation.

I like/love the work that I do and (most) of the people that I work with as well. But then I think about the fact that I can bring home more money while retired than working and I realize that I don't like my job THAT much. If I come back to work after retirement as a consultant, so much the better. I may do that till my wife retires in 5 years, or I may not. It all depends on how things go over the next year. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 08:24:19 AM »
Word of advice from a friend....you probably should change your subject line.  ::)

There are only two people in this world who would care about what you are inferring my friend, and they both know that it's not true.  ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 08:25:32 AM »
Congrats Conrad! I've got 6 more years to go, will retire at 65, will be making more on retirement than I am now (fingers crossed on that one!) but will have to pay for our own medical/dental insurance...retiring from the Mining industry in California...

Thank you sir!

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 10:41:55 AM »
My son was retired this year at 33 with 37% pay. He retired to a new job in another state with no travel required and mo money.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »
There are only two people in this world who would care about what you are inferring my friend, and they both know that it's not true.  ;)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   I'm so easily amused...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:36:32 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
Cholla, what was the reason for this early retirement?

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »
Reduction of military forces.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
Congrats Conrad.
I'm envious.

I'm getting ready myself. Decided to give them a couple more years and see if there is a chance for a Golden handshake.
After that,,,, I'm gone.

Question though.
I went to a seminar and was told to retire "to" something, not From a job.
In my case I have antique cars and bikes that i intend to play with.....
Do you have something special that you are rertiring to?

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, I know you posted this a year ago, but I just saw it.   

I retired just under three years ago, and was concerned that I might get bored and would have to look for something to do.   Today, I find that I have less time than when I was working, but at least I am having a blast doing it.  I do travel a lot, but I also ride with other retired friends.  Secret to riding when retired,,,,it is a lot better riding during the week than the weekend.

I also tinker with the bikes a bunch.  Mostly repairing what I screwed up when I was tinkering. 

Best decision I ever made was retiring.

Fred
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
Ted, I know you posted this a year ago, but I just saw it.   

I retired just under three years ago, and was concerned that I might get bored and would have to look for something to do.   Today, I find that I have less time than when I was working, but at least I am having a blast doing it.  I do travel a lot, but I also ride with other retired friends.  Secret to riding when retired,,,,it is a lot better riding during the week than the weekend.

I also tinker with the bikes a bunch.  Mostly repairing what I screwed up when I was tinkering. 

Best decision I ever made was retiring.

Fred

He posted that two days ago.

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »
He posted that two days ago.

OOps, see what happens when your retired,,, I forgot what year it was.    ;D

Fred
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI