Author Topic: Does your helmet give you a big red spot on your forehead?  (Read 13503 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Does your helmet give you a big red spot on your forehead?
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
I'm sure most of you know this, but just in case you don't I thought I'd share. On long trips do you get a big red spot on your forehead from your helmet? I know I did. That's because I have an oblong shaped head. Took me forever to finally spring for a high priced helmet to solve this issue. I have worn HJC helmets forever and I have been happy with them. But Arai is the only helmet manufacturer that advertises helmets they make for different shaped heads. I ended up going full oblong with my Arai Profile. They also make an intermediate oval with the Corsair but that model also put pressure on my forehead.

So, if you get the big bad red spot, check out Arai Profile and Corsair V.
No affilitation, I swear, but I love my new Profile helmet.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
Re: Does your helmet give you a big red spot on your forehead?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:23:43 PM »
Honestly never noticed, my friend has a Shark helmet that leaves a mark on his head.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »
When I bought my C10 a few years ago (2007) I started wearing an old Shoei that I had from the 80's. Man did that thing leave a red mark on my forehead. I quickly learned I had an oval head and not a round head. I bought an HJC CL 15 and it fit much better and have been very happy with it. I don't know how I ever wore that old Shoei for 10 yrs. Either that or my head got bigger!!! :o Mark

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:52:43 PM »
A quick tip=take the liner out, and massage the offending area with a large spoon, take it slow and never remove any of the foam, all you are doing is a mild reshapping, call it accelerated break in.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 05:35:16 AM »
No red spot for me but then I have a perfectly shaped head. That's part of the reason that I'm so damn good looking.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »
I don't get red spots on my forehead but, my left ear is supper sensitive. Untill a friend gave me my ARAI Quantum2 I could only ride about 2 hours before my ear started to become unbearable. Every helmet but the Arai has done this to me. Surgery as a kid on that ear is what I blame it on.  Serious Mastoid infection and some bone loss from that.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:02:33 AM »
Nope because my helmet "fits me"......some are for round or oval heads, ya gotta get the one that is made for your head.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:12:02 AM »
I also have the oblong head shape.  I have never found an Arai that fit properly.  I just bought a shoei RF1100 that is very comfortable.  My HJC before that took some break in time.  I wish I had used a spoon.     :o

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 08:16:47 AM »
I also have the oblong head shape.  I have never found an Arai that fit properly.  I just bought a shoei RF1100 that is very comfortable.  My HJC before that took some break in time.  I wish I had used a spoon.     :o

The Shoei's seem to be very good for oval heads, as do the Scorpions. The new Shoei Quest is more than likely my next lid.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline koval68

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »
I wear Shoei QWEST and don't get any "red spots"on my forehead. Maybe your helmet is too small ?!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:11 AM »
I wear Shoei QWEST and don't get any "red spots"on my forehead. Maybe your helmet is too small ?!

If you don't have red spots, then you probably have an average shaped head. Mine does not conform. If I could show you I would, but the average helmet doesn't work on my head. I can get a red spot, yet still have way too much play side to side. My Arai fits perfectly.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Stasch

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »
No red spot for me but then I have a perfectly shaped head. That's part of the reason that I'm so damn good looking.

. . . and humble as a bonus !   ;D
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
. . . and humble as a bonus !   ;D

Just another of my countless good features.    8)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 12:43:01 PM »
+1 on Arai Profile

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »
Does your helmet give you a big red spot on your forehead?
Only when I have it on and my wife catches me looking a pretty lady and starts to beat me on my head!!!!   :battle:

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »
I've had a couple of helmets that were bad about that.  One helmet I did as was suggested and reshaped the foam.  On the other I cut some soft batting and put in the top of the helmet, sort of a disk of it.  That put the weight of the helmet directly on the top of my head rather than wearing what is essentially a cone.   Look at your helmet.  Every one I've looked at has a ring-shaped piece with very little support directly on top of the head.