Author Topic: Tornado!  (Read 12235 times)

Offline Conrad

Tornado!
« on: April 10, 2015, 05:09:44 AM »
I'm sure that by now most of you have seen this on the news. I'm about 5 miles away and we spent a good hour in the basement. No damage in my immediate area but we had some VERY intense lightening and wind!

4/9/2015 Rochelle, IL Destructive Wedge Tornado B-Roll

Rochelle, Illinois Tornado April 9 2015

Large tornado rips through Rochelle, Illinois
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Tornado!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 05:12:00 AM »
Glad you're ok.  I was watching the news a few minutes ago and instantly thought of you..  You beat me to the contact..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 05:19:16 AM »
Thanks Jim.    :)

We had more wind from the backside of this storm than we did while it was passing.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:44:52 AM »
I heard your neck of the woods was catching hell last night. Glad it missed, C.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 06:44:36 AM »
Yes, I thought of you as soon as they showed the location on the map while watching HLN this morning. Glad you're ok. Sympathy for the ones that lost everything and amazing only one fatality.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:08:24 AM »
Thanks guys.

The weather radio sure got a workout yesterday.  :o

I just came in from doing a survey of our yard. Lots of branches and a few med sized limbs down, that's it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 06:31:13 AM »
This pic was taken 4 blocks from my house.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 06:33:56 AM »
I took a ride yesterday to survey some of the damage caused by the storm.  :o

Some of the areas look like freakin bombs went off in the neighborhoods!

It turns out that two people were killed.   :(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 07:19:27 AM »
Amazing pics of the tornado.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 07:20:34 AM »
Glad to hear that you a family are well, and without any damage, but your community sure took a devastating blow..
I'm assuming the extremely low death toll was due to early warning. Hope the community stays close, and receives
all the assistance needed to rebuild.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 07:39:05 AM »
Thanks Walker.

Yes, the low number of fatalities has to be a result of the early warnings. Some folks still didn't take heed though. Some friends of ours didn't take the warning seriously and headed for the basement at the last moment. They were almost sucked out of the basement stairwell as they were going downstairs. The house was a total loss and as a result of them waiting too long both of their dogs and their parrot were killed.   :'(

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 07:52:07 AM »
Those are amazing photos.  We don't have basements in our area.  We have to put on our motorcycle gear and hunker down in the bathroom.  Statistically, the odds of my house getting hit by a tornado is too low to spend $10,000 on a shelter.

We have had an F5 pass 10 miles to the south, and an F2 within a mile.  That is with the past 4 years.  I am at a much greater risk of getting maimed in the roadways, or in my own home from a slip and fall, than a tornado.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »
79 homes were damaged in this storm in my county, with between 20 and 30 of those homes being a total loss.  :(

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/12/man-who-lost-wife-home-in-tornado-reunited-with-missing-dog/?intcmp=latestnews

Man who lost wife, home in tornado is reunited with missing dog
Published April 12, 2015FoxNews.com

Missy, a white German shepherd who disappeared following a tornado that hit Fairdale, Ill., on Thursday, was reunited with her family on Saturday, according to "The Search for Missy" Facebook page, where this photo was posted.
A man who lost his wife in the deadly tornadoes that struck Illinois last week received a lift Saturday after his missing dog was found safe.

Clem Schultz's dog Missy, a white German shepherd, disappeared during the tornado Thursday that killed Clem's wife, Geraldine, and destroyed the couple's Fairdale home.

On Saturday, an electric utility worker surveying debris spotted the dog in a field and alerted police, who then tracked down the family, NBC Chicago reports.

Tyler Rowan, the grandson of Clem Schultz, said the dog -- apparently still traumatized by the storm -- ran away from everyone for 2.5 miles until they were able to catch up with her.

Since then, Clem hasn’t let go of the dog, Rowan told the station.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 04:34:28 AM »
I'm glad that the guy's dog was found safe!

My wife and I took a ride yesterday around the area where the tornado hit. Once we were out there we felt kinda bad about being 'one of those people' eyeballing the damage. We ended up riding somewhere else instead. One of the nice things that we did see in the damaged area was a LOT of people out there doing what they can to help. There were several bus loads of people out combing the farm lands searching through the debris for items of value that were lost.      :'(

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 05:43:35 AM »
During the 2011 outbreak we found debris in our yard from Mississippi.  Well over a hundred miles away.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 04:45:00 AM »
Update:

My wife spoke to our friends who I mentioned above. It turns out that only one of her dogs was killed. They found this dog in the front yard. They also found the parrot's decapitated body.  :(

Here's an amazing thing. Pictures and canceled checks that were sucked up in the tornado where found in Wisconsin nearly 200 miles away.  :o

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 08:46:36 AM »
Conrad, just saw this.
Glad you made it thru safely.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 05:20:12 AM »
 >:(

DeKalb County Sheriff officials say Richard Burtch initially came into Fairdale to help a family member clean up their house that had been destroyed during the tornado. However, Burtch kept coming back and appeared to gather more supplies for himself after the debris was removed.

http://northernpublicradio.org/post/stillman-valley-man-arrested-looting-fairdale-tornado-donations

Asshole!!!

Richard Burtch  Stillman Valley, IL

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 07:27:14 AM »
Of the highest order.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....