Author Topic: Hand protectors from KLR  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Bluegray

Hand protectors from KLR
« on: September 23, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
I have a 2008 KLR the hand protectors really protect my hands from the cold. It appears I might be able to adapt them easily to fit my 2006 Connie. Has anyone tried this or similar hand protectors?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Hand protectors from KLR
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
You mean the plastic bush guard  thingies? Yes, I tried a set from  a different bike  that fit the Connie well. It didn't' help much. My hands still got cold and wet. Heated grips and water proof gloves work much better.
Plus it looked  weird, got in the way  and it was a pain working around them .
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »
I think what some people have fitted to the Concours are the ones from the Suzuki V-Strom 650.  Of course I have those on my Wee-Strom, and they do make a difference when used with grip heaters (I have HotGrips on both bikes).  My hands are warmer on the Wee-Strom than the Connie.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:38:06 AM »
The Hand Guards are great - but the placement of the mirrors on the C-10 is so good, that they dont offer much over that,

Whatchyooneed - are Hippo hands - or something similar.

http://www.hippohands.com/Hippo%20Hands.htm

Ugly has homemade sin and phenominally effective. I have a set made by 'Moose Gear" that I Got from Dennis Kirk, in fact here they are, tho mine are plain black:

https://www.denniskirk.com/moose/mud-paws.p392221.prd/392221.sku

I've used them every winter for about....gee, 8 years? and on different bikes, They go on & come off in about 3 mins. I ususally thro them in the saddlebag when I head N to Germany in the fall or spring.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:00:32 AM »
I have the original Word document that Goatmar wrote up when he did his install.  Very nice write up with pictures and part numbers if anyone is interested.  Just send me an email address in a PM and i'll send it to you.

Here is his parts list totaling about $60 a few years ago (the guards are the expensive parts):

Right knuckle Guard #57341-27G01-291  Ordered from Suzuki
Left knuckle guard #57541-06G10-291  Ordered from Suzuki
1- 6mmx1.0x40mm bolt – Metric Flanged Bolt – Right hand guard  From Ace Hardware
1-6mmx1.0x50mm bolt – Metric Bolt – Left hand guard  From BoltDepot,com
1- m10x10m spacer – L  From BoltDepot,com
2- 5/16x3/4 brass sleeve L/R  From Ace Hardware
4- 1/4” washers ID so m6 fits through it.  4 R  From Ace Hardware
2- 5/16” washers ID so bar end bolt fits through it. L/R  From Ace Hardware
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline throb

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 04:03:48 AM »
  I had a WeeStrom prior to Connie, and though I remember hand grip warmers were more effective on the Wee, it seems as though the cold air blast on Connie comes from below, through the fairing opening in front of the radiator.  I suppose some sort of dhield could be devised that would not compromise steering.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.