Author Topic: Stebel Nautilus Install pics or tips  (Read 18434 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Stebel Nautilus Install pics or tips
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:41:36 PM »
I haven't been able to find any pics of a Stebel Nautilus installed on a C14.  I remember seeing some on the other forum, but I am wondering if anyone here has any they can post up.  I will probably install mine this weekend and I would like to make it as painless as possible.  Thanks for any help.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Stebel Nautilus Install pics or tips
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:30:17 PM »
I haven't been able to find any pics of a Stebel Nautilus installed on a C14.  I remember seeing some on the other forum, but I am wondering if anyone here has any they can post up.  I will probably install mine this weekend and I would like to make it as painless as possible.  Thanks for any help.

I think your search skills are in need of improvement!!

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=286.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:50:43 AM »
Thanks anyway, I will go work on my forum search skills now.   ::)

Offline RoadKingX

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:24:50 AM »
I just mounted a Stebel horn, but instead of mounting the whole horn, I separated the horn from the compressor.
The compressor is mounted under the right hand inner cover in front of the Rostra CC and the horn is mounted on the rear of the left front fork.
The horn is connected to the compressor by a length of plastic tube.
Oddly enough the ID of the horn when separated from the compressor is the same as the OD of the front forks.

unfortunately  the NetNazi's here at work will not allow me to connect to my Smugmug account to get pix, so I will upload pix when I get home.
Until then here is where I got the original idea.
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6-mods/343461-hidden-stebel-nautilus-horn-install.html
It's a bit of work to do but since space is a premium this gives you some options. Plus it gets the horn out from under the plastic.
I can detect no delay with the separated horn(the OEM horn is still operational) and it is LOUD!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »
Thanks anyway, I will go work on my forum search skills now.   ::)

The link I provided should have all the answers to your questions, no?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 05:52:35 PM »
... but instead of mounting the whole horn, I separated the horn from the compressor. ...

I did this, too... but then I found a unit with 2 horns that I used instead. I still have the separated unit in my garage, so I will have to try it out... as the plastic muffles too much of the horn I have there now, methinks.

At least the wiring is done, so I just have to mount the thing!
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline RoadKingX

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
Pix for Stebel fork leg mount.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »
The link I provided should have all the answers to your questions, no?

Yes the link was good, I was just saying that I was gonna work on my research skills so I wouldn't inconvenience you again.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
Pix for Stebel fork leg mount.

WOW!  OK, now that is new.  You should post that on the other thread.... the one hard to find by typing "stebel" in the search box ;) 

You are far more daring than I... I would not have thought to disassemble my new horn that way, although I was thinking about a two piece air horn instead (like my previous bike) but I couldn't think of a place/way to even mount a small separated horn.   Kudos, kudos, kudos (well, also to the guy first thinking of the separation too)!  Looks like you mounted the compressor EXACTLY the same way I did.  It was so much work taking the bike apart and mounting everything, I don't think I will change it at this point.  But I wish you were here/had posted when it was the hot topic.  Oh well!

Now, the question is, which method will Jeremy use?  The easier way with more muffle, or the harder way with FULL BLAST EFFEECT!

Offline RoadKingX

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »
Hey, thanks for the kind words. I wish I could take credit for this idea, but people a lot smarter than me thinks all this stuff up.
I'm very appreciative they take time to share their knowledge so folks like me can benefit from it.

Offline SonnyC

• Live long and enjoy life to its' fullest.
Separating the horn from the compressor
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:52:08 AM »
Okay, I went to the link and it  stated to unlock the 2 tabs on the side (are they hidden?) and one on the top and pull them apart.  Been trying to do that for the past 20 minutes but it would not release.  I also tried using a flat head screw driver to pry the top tab, but I'm afraid I might brake the top plastic tab.  What tool(s) did you use to separate the horn from the compressor?  Does the compressor slide down once you pry or release the tab or did you pull them apart when you did your install?

Thanks in advance
SonnyC

Offline SonnyC

Re: Stebel Nautilus Install pics or tips; update
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 03:00:40 AM »
To remove or separate the horn from the compressor do take note that there are only two (2) plastic tabs.  One tab is on the top  and the other is on the right side near the top of the small plastic air duct.  I used a screw driver to pry away the top tab from the compressor and another flat head screw driver to pry the side tab away from the compressor body.  Then I pulled straight UP to separate the two components.

Tomorrow, the fairings comes off and off to Home Depot to buy the vinyl tubing, barbs, and industrial glue .

Hope this helped and thanks again to RoadKIngX for his posting.
SonnyC

Offline RoadKingX

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:11 AM »
What SonnyC said!
I have done this enough times before that I forgot that the FZ6 site did not specify exactly how to separate the horn/compressor.
One other point of clarification, You need to hacksaw off the air intake tube from the horn and epoxy/glue it back on the compressor.
This is to keep bugs/dirt/debris/water out of the compressor.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »
WOW!  OK, now that is new.  You should post that on the other thread.... the one hard to find by typing "stebel" in the search box ;) 

Now, the question is, which method will Jeremy use?  The easier way with more muffle, or the harder way with FULL BLAST EFFEECT!

I did find that thread but I guess when I was at work the pics weren't showing up, that is why I asked for help.  Once I got home and saw the thread, I was able to see everything, I do know how to search but I wasn't getting all the info while on a government computer. 

Still undecided about which method I will use.  I have my grip heater wiring on the left side and all my HID gear is on the right so I might try to mount the whole unit in the left side and aim the horn toward the front tire to get maximum protection from the elements and also keep from muffling the sound too horribly. 

Offline SonnyC

Re: Stebel Nautilus Install on a 09 California model problem
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »
Well, I removed the fairing and I found an evaporative canister(Rectangular and black) with two vacuum lines occupying the space I'm suppose to put the Stebel Nautilus in.  What other option do I have?  Could I remove the can, plug the lines and not do any harm to the engine?  Has anyone installed the stebel nautilus on a California model and if you could be so kind to give some advise.

Thanks,
SonnyC

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Stebel Nautilus Install on a 09 California model problem
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »
Well, I removed the fairing and I found an evaporative canister(Rectangular and black) with two vacuum lines occupying the space I'm suppose to put the Stebel Nautilus in.

Yeah, welcome to my world!

I have not tested it yet, but since I need the room for a Rostra CC, and two Stebel compressors I'm determined to get rid of that canister that wasn't supposed to be on my bike in the first place  >:( . I'm going to plug the "green line" and put a breather type filter on the "blue line". I'll let you know how it works but it might be a few days.

edit too many months later:
Quote from: me
I'll let you know how it works but it might be a few days.
I did and it works fine, no performance or gas mileage problems nor any "mystery" problems. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:18:34 PM by fartymarty »

Offline SonnyC

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 11:18:59 AM »
I'm eager to know how it turns out with the removal of your canister.  It there is no adverse effect, I'll do the same so that I can add more farkles.

SonnyC

Offline C14-Pilot

• Riding Pushmountain Road In Arkansas
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »
Guys,

I mounted mine under the left side fairing.
I made a "L" bracket out of a piece of aluminum and mounted it to frame.
There is just enough room to get all the plastic back on there.

later,
C-14 Pilot
2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim,1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Deluxe II,1973 Honda 250 Elsinore

Offline SonnyC

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 10:33:41 PM »
Cut off (hacksaw) the air duct intake from the horn and glued it to the compressor. I used a 1/4X1/8 threaded hose bard per RoadKingX and used a 1/8 NPT tap on the horn.  Telflon taped and threaded the barb to the horn body.  I mounted the red relay that came with the Stebel Nautilus on the right side just behind the foam and using the OEM M5 45mm long bolt.  I'm using the horn wiring harness I got from Twisted Throttle.  Connected the wire from the positive terminal of the SN to #87 relay terminal, connected the red wire (hot) with the fuse holder from the positive battery to the relay terminal #30, connected the short black wire from the SN negative terminal and grounded it to the bike's frame on the left side.
Here is were I need advise:  I still want the OEM horn to work in conjunction with the Stebel Nautilus.  The instruction on my PNP harness states to connect the black wire (connected to Relay #85) to the OEM horn ground wire.  I looked at the horn and it did not have a ground wire, and I think the horn bracket serves as the horn's ground.  There are only two wires from the OEM horn a Black/White and a Brown/Black both of which are HOT or positive.  The instructions also states to connect the blue wire (connected to Relay #86) to the OEM + horn wire.  How do I make this happen?  Any special splicing connector needed?  Thanks.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 11:03:48 AM »
The Black and white wire leaves the horn and goes to the horn button on the left handlebar, when you press the button it connects to ground.  So, the blue wire that is connected to relay terminal 86 goes to the original horn Brown and black wire. The black wire from relay terminal 85 goes to the original horn black and white wire. This will have the relay activation coil electrically attached in parallel with the original horn, so that when you press the horn button, current will flow through both the original horn and the relay activation coil which will then activate the Stebel.

You may be able to slip the connectors that comes with the TT harness into the original horns wiring connection if you open that (female) connector so that it can take two (male) blade connectors at the same time. (this type of situation is where "kinky" and "horny" all came about.)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:45:19 PM by fartymarty »