Author Topic: Making a replacement shield for a Rifle base  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Bluegray

Making a replacement shield for a Rifle base
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »
I need to replace the shield for a rifle base. Can anyone give me suggestions how? I know this was on the old forum but all of that is gone except for the knowledge of the members. Thanks for hour help.

Offline kzz1king

Re: Making a replacement shield for a Rifle base
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:51:01 PM »
What I did was use poster board and trimmed until I had a perfect fit on the base. Then marked all the holes and confirmed they were correct. I then drew and cut the shape I wanted. Once you have the base part done you can transfer it to other poster board and keep experimenting until you get what you want. Save the pattern once you get it right.

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Bluegray

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »
Did you you use plexiglass or some other product? If plexi what size?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:15:03 AM »
Did you you use plexiglass or some other product? If plexi what size?

The best product will not be the cheapest..... I've along with Bergman used .125" x 24" x 24" thick Impact Resistant Polycarbonate (AKA Lexan) from the likes of www.mcmaster.com or other local plastic sheeting source it comes in both clear and tint and will cost you around 40.00 per sheet. Slightly costly yes but the optical clarity is superb and it will look just as good in a couple of years as it does when new, it is also very strong and will take the abuse given out from life on a bike.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:11:12 AM »
 My first Rifle windshield lasted 17 yrs. before spider cracks around mounting holes spred too far. Got a new shield from Murph's  for $80 and screwed it on. No hassle. Fits right.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 02:08:22 PM »
Made mine from Lexan purchased from a local source. Can't remember the price but around 25 I think. Been on the bike for 4 or 5 years but it keeps getting smaller!  As far as buying ready made, too easy! And I would just have to modify it anyhow.

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Makz58

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 07:37:32 PM »
I made mine out of .125 Lexan (polycarbonate) bought at Home Depot, made a template out of cardboard transferred to Lexan cut with variable speed jig saw, drilled holes with steel bit very gently and relieved sharp edges of holes with fine rat file. Replaced all scews and nuts with nylon also from Home Depot. Shield was on bike three years with no issues....I might have a picture not the best but you can get the idea.

When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline Bluegray

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »
All of the shields I have owned before had thicker marterial than the lexan I have looked at. Does the Rifle base and shape of the lexan give the rider adequate protection? Is the factory shield from Rifle thicker than the lexan you have been using? I am asking because I have never seen a factory Rifle shield.