Author Topic: Show us your Canyon Cage  (Read 143444 times)

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
Re: Show us your Canyon Cage
« Reply #400 on: July 01, 2015, 11:36:15 PM »
I am seriously considering a set of these cages, but was wondering if they have to be removed  when work is done on the engine and if so, how difficult is it to remove them?

Minor PITA, but well worth it. Mine's been down 5 times since I put them on - only lost a right mirror in the mud. ;-)

but then again, I take her places she was never intended to go...

zero damage:

oh the places she's been...

and the places she's been down...

2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #401 on: July 01, 2015, 11:49:53 PM »
oh the places she's been...

Wow- I can't even imagine riding on such stuff!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #402 on: July 02, 2015, 12:04:42 AM »
Wow- I can't even imagine riding on such stuff!

Hell, I couldn't either until I did it. And now I'm hooked.  :o
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #403 on: July 02, 2015, 03:43:20 AM »
Hell, I couldn't either until I did it. And now I'm hooked.  :o

I know where you can get a deal on a 2013 1200GS with only 300 miles on it.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #404 on: August 31, 2015, 03:11:09 PM »
Hi Gumby, I ran accross this post and I had to register for this site so I can respond.  Never, ever, ever, use the bars in the back as a tie down area.  They will break your sub frame.  I made this mistake and nearly lost the bike.  The only thing holding the rear bar, bag mount and rear foot beg is a 2" tab welded to the subframe.  The weld will break with this force that you have from the tie downs.  I replaced my subframe myself, 9 hours of labor and 800.00 from Kawasaki.  Instead, thread through the kickstand mount underneath or use the bars of the rear subframe to tie down.  I can send pictures later, I still have my broken subframe in the garage so I'll get pictures up.  I have enjoyed your pics so far.  I'm on my second connie and we share similar mods.  Cheers.
Good to know. The pics from above that you reference was a 30 min ride to Sandpoint, Id where I got thoroughly screwed for a back tire(DO NOT go here http://www.4seasonpowersports.com/), but had no problem at all with the way it was tied down. I used them as a tie down point again in my new trailer when I took it out for a maiden voyage, again no problem.

I will definitely look for a new spot to tag the rear end down next time. I'm sure I can figure it out, but go ahead and post up pics of how you do.  :chugbeer:

Thanks
-Tom

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #405 on: September 02, 2015, 11:50:01 AM »
I know where you can get a deal on a 2013 1200GS with only 300 miles on it.

I know of an even better deal...totally unused Canyon Cage...still in the box...on a shelf...in a garage! The said item should be for sale at a hugely discounted price real soon, now if I could just remember who that forum "member"(I won't say it Brian) is???  ;) ;D ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #406 on: September 03, 2015, 04:45:31 AM »
I know of an even better deal...totally unused Canyon Cage...still in the box...on a shelf...in a garage! The said item should be for sale at a hugely discounted price real soon, now if I could just remember who that forum "member"(I won't say it Brian) is???  ;) ;D ;D

Said member might even throw in a back-up shelf to sweeten the deal!     ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #407 on: September 03, 2015, 04:46:21 AM »
Good to know. The pics from above that you reference was a 30 min ride to Sandpoint, Id where I got thoroughly screwed for a back tire(DO NOT go here http://www.4seasonpowersports.com/), but had no problem at all with the way it was tied down. I used them as a tie down point again in my new trailer when I took it out for a maiden voyage, again no problem.

I will definitely look for a new spot to tag the rear end down next time. I'm sure I can figure it out, but go ahead and post up pics of how you do.  :chugbeer:

Thanks
-Tom

What size trailer is that Tom?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #408 on: September 03, 2015, 07:17:51 AM »

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #409 on: September 16, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »
I have a 2011 Connie and I have thought about getting the Canyon Cages for a while now.
I have not dropped mine yet but so many people who never thought they would drop theirs,
are now saying it's not IF but WHEN you drop yours.

I also saw that all Canyon Cages are black.  I didn't even know that they came any other way.
Then I did some more research and found out that they come in Chrome too.

Then I was on Amazon and they listed the Canyon Cages and even had an option for Chrome.
The problem was when I clicked on the Chrome listing the pictures still showed the Black versions.
I thought MAYBE it was a Chrome metal but they were still painted black?  ???

So I looked and looked and looked and didn't find but one picture of a Chrome set on a Silver Connie - at least on this forum.
I did see 1 and only 1 set on a Black Connie too.

So more searching and I finally found a set of Chrome Canyon Cages.

It appears that they must only sell one set of Chrome for every 100 sets of black
and that might be a high estimate.  Maybe it's more like 1 for every 500 sets.  ???

With more research I started to hear the horror stories about getting the motor bolts out
as they are thread locked in place and that you need to heat the bolts and or run the engine etc.
to get them warm or hot to melt the thread lock stuff so you could get them out.

But then there were others that said they come out without any trouble.

So I took a chance and went for it.   

I had no trouble removing the bolts that had thread lock on them.  The engine was stone cold too.  ;D
I have many 10mm taps BUT I didn't have a 10x1.25 tap on hand.
I tried to put the new longer bolts in place and got them started but they got harder to turn
the deeper they went.  I removed them as the instructions said they might cross thread.
There were NO signs of cross threading but I didn't know if I would be able to tighten them all the way.

So off to get the correct size tap.  Used it and all was well.

I originally removed the fairings and installed the Cages.  I had seen others post that they cut their
fairings and then they could remove them with the cages on.  I really just didn't feel comfortable doing that so I
removed them again and then reinstalled the Cages again.

Here are the results. 

I personally like them and being different isn't always a bad thing.  ;D

They go good with the new radiator protector I recently installed too.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:57:23 PM by SilverConnieRider »

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #410 on: September 16, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »
I personally like them and being different isn't always a bad thing.  ;D

Looks good. What wheel chock/stand is that?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #411 on: September 16, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »
it's not IF but WHEN you drop yours.

yep

I looked and looked and looked and didn't find but one picture of a Chrome set on a Silver Connie - at least on this forum.  So more searching and I finally found a set of Chrome Canyon Cages.

Yep, that would be mine

It appears that they must only sell one set of Chrome for every 100 sets of black
and that might be a high estimate.  Maybe it's more like 1 for every 500 sets.  ???

Yep.  Black is what most people want.  Also, chrome goes best with the silver bike and there is only one model year of silver- that is 2011 (which means 1 year out of 8 years of the C14).  The main problem with chrome is that it is harder to keep clean, and if it gets damaged, you can't just slap some black paint on it.

Here are the results.

Yep, looks just like the postings of mine :)  Congrats
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

« Reply #412 on: September 16, 2015, 04:03:48 PM »
Looks good. What wheel chock/stand is that?

It's a Baxley Sport Chock in Red.

Most are crinkled black - I have one of those in a LA model so I bought this one in Red to go with my Red bike.

The Red one was free at the moment I was ready to take the pictures - so that's why I used it.
The Sport chock is designed to fit bikes with a 120/70 front tire, however it will fit other sizes too but works best with the 120/70.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #413 on: September 16, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »
6.5' x 12'

Thread jack

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=60052.msg469377#msg469377

I know this is :offtopic: but "Geez" Gumby, ride through a few states have you?? I'm jealous, nicely done :salute:! I have a few marked on my map but nothing like you! Some day I'll "grow up" and be just like you and hit most or all the states and Canada...that's my goal anyway :thumbs:

Okay, back to the topic...I want canyon's too but I'm planning on keeping my bike for another year and then move on to a new model. I'll probably do canyon's then but I do like how they look in all the pics!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

« Reply #414 on: September 16, 2015, 04:09:08 PM »

Yep, that would be mine

Yep, looks just like the postings of mine :)  Congrats

So we are a rare breed.  :thumbs:  and now there are 2 Silver bikes on this forum that have the Chrome Canyon Cages.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #415 on: September 16, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »
... but I do like how they look in all the pics!

They look pretty good when you see your bike laying on the ground, and you realize the cages took the hit instead of all the plastic crunchy bits. Luckily, I didn't drop it BEFORE the cages went on.

I was rear-ended a few weeks ago, and I'd hate to know what the repair cost would have been if the cages hadn't protected most of the bike (mirror took one for the team).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #416 on: September 16, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »
They look pretty good when you see your bike laying on the ground, and you realize the cages took the hit instead of all the plastic crunchy bits. Luckily, I didn't drop it BEFORE the cages went on.

+1 and +1

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #417 on: September 16, 2015, 07:26:11 PM »
It's a Baxley Sport Chock in Red.

Most are crinkled black - I have one of those in a LA model so I bought this one in Red to go with my Red bike.

The Red one was free at the moment I was ready to take the pictures - so that's why I used it.
The Sport chock is designed to fit bikes with a 120/70 front tire, however it will fit other sizes too but works best with the 120/70.

Thanks, I need something for the garage.

So as not to be of topic, here's a pic of my cages.

Offline jscon2011

« Reply #418 on: September 26, 2015, 01:35:36 AM »
Thanks, I need something for the garage.

So as not to be of topic, here's a pic of my cages.

That tinted windshield and black front fender make your bike look sick
Sleeping Connie is sleeping.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #419 on: September 26, 2015, 08:06:16 AM »
Thanks, its all plasti-dip at the moment, trying to decide if I want to keep it that way.