Author Topic: Rostra Cruise issue 2011 model and 2017  (Read 1840 times)

Offline PhantomBlade

Rostra Cruise issue 2011 model and 2017
« on: October 03, 2018, 11:57:44 AM »
So I’ve installed six Rostra Cruise controls now and I am encountering a problem with the NSS clutch disengagement feature during the install on an 2011 and 2017 model. The 08 and 09 models work as expected but the 2011 and 2017 I’ve done I can’t get the NSS to work. So what I have determined is with the bike on the center stand and the kickstand deployed the clutch works like the 08 and 09 when the clutch is pulled in the right tab on the clutch switch goes to ground. When you put the kickstand up both tabs on the clutch switch go to ground regardless if the clutch is pulled in or not. So the Rostra with not engage because the NSS sees it grounded. Am I doing something wrong or is there an alternate fix to this or even using the RPM disengagement feature?

Help a Connie out!!!!!

Thank You
2017 C-14 ABS Blue(Duh it's Faster)Rostra Cruise, Area P Full Exhaust, Pathfinder LED headlights, switch backs, Puig Shield,
LIN3 Aux Brake Lights, Seth Laam seat, Garmin 395lm, Phil’s rack, GiVi 56L Maxia  4, 2” risers, T-Rex tip over protection, HJC R-PHA helmet, Scala Rider Pack Talk Bold, and more to come

Offline swojo95

Re: Rostra Cruise issue 2011 model and 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 04:43:25 AM »
Shot in the dark, but I remember the clutch switch wire color changed in 2010? Could it be possible that you connected the wrong wire?  My schematic shows it to be the red wire with green stripe.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 05:43:03 PM »
The NSS switch on a C-14 has always been a little 'hokey' with a Rostra, starting with the '08's. Not surprised it does not work with a later model; as it barely worked with the first models, if Kawasaki changed <anything> in the 'it is OK to start the bike circuit' (sidestand, clutch, engine kill switch, tip over switch, etc.) then it may have been pushed toward the area where it will not work at all.

Yes there is another choice for the secondary disengage and that is engine RPM, which was the first one I used. It worked poorly, slowly and often had the engine banging into the rev. limiter (somewhat unsettling to say the least) before it <occasionally> worked. The NSS was actually the second and better idea, first used and proposed by Fred Harmon way back when. So in short, you are probably not going to like the alternate method any better than the first- tried method, which is not working out for you.

All of that said, none of it is what I would call a deal- breaker; it is merely the second method to disengage the CC, with the first being reliable enough, IMO, that it is not all that big of a deal. And as far as safety goes, you can always pull in the clutch and even if the engine does rev. rather high in RPM, there is no safety issue with the CC and the bike, only that the engine may really 'wind up' until you have time to either hit the kill switch or turn off the ignition. I have never needed the secondary disengagement method in a decade and 100K miles and I do not think you will find many, if anyone, who has needed it and there are a lot of Rostras installed on all year C-14's. I know this is not the answer you were looking for but it is the best I can offer regarding suggestions or knowledge of this quirk.

Brian

So I’ve installed six Rostra Cruise controls now and I am encountering a problem with the NSS clutch disengagement feature during the install on an 2011 and 2017 model. The 08 and 09 models work as expected but the 2011 and 2017 I’ve done I can’t get the NSS to work. So what I have determined is with the bike on the center stand and the kickstand deployed the clutch works like the 08 and 09 when the clutch is pulled in the right tab on the clutch switch goes to ground. When you put the kickstand up both tabs on the clutch switch go to ground regardless if the clutch is pulled in or not. So the Rostra with not engage because the NSS sees it grounded. Am I doing something wrong or is there an alternate fix to this or even using the RPM disengagement feature?

Help a Connie out!!!!!

Thank You
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PhantomBlade

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 07:34:42 PM »
Now I feel better that I’m not completely nuts!!! I was hoping anyone who has done an install on a newer model had some insight. Thank You guys for replying with your knowledge!
2017 C-14 ABS Blue(Duh it's Faster)Rostra Cruise, Area P Full Exhaust, Pathfinder LED headlights, switch backs, Puig Shield,
LIN3 Aux Brake Lights, Seth Laam seat, Garmin 395lm, Phil’s rack, GiVi 56L Maxia  4, 2” risers, T-Rex tip over protection, HJC R-PHA helmet, Scala Rider Pack Talk Bold, and more to come

Offline katata1100

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »
I think clutch engagement is very useful. I have the mccruise , which hooks into the clutch switch and if mccruise can use it, shouldn’t the rosta?
I don’t have any mccruise directions on hand, but for some reason, I think the wire you need to connect to is blue.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 11:11:55 AM »
Rostra wire thread from the other forum: http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/cruise-control-27078/msg121631/#msg121631  (hope that's ok)

Drops into Fartymarty's post #27 on where to connect to the clutch switch wire and a comment on a wire color change across the connector.

Leo

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 01:56:54 PM »
Shot in the dark, but I remember the clutch switch wire color changed in 2010?
Well once again just to be clear, to the best of my knowledge there was no wire color change in 2010, even though I started that rumor. I had simply tied into the clutch switch wire (NSS) on the other side of the connector. The correct color is black on the side of the connector closest to the clutch switch and red w/green stripe on the other side of the connector.

So what I have determined is with the bike on the center stand and the kickstand deployed the clutch works like the 08 and 09 when the clutch is pulled in the right tab on the clutch switch goes to ground. When you put the kickstand up both tabs on the clutch switch go to ground regardless if the clutch is pulled in or not.

Makes me go HMMMMMM......as I got just the opposite on my 2010 model. On the centerstand, with kick stand in the up position (not deployed) and power off; ohm meter black probe connected to frame and red probe touching switch terminals indicated, I showed continuity to ground (frame) between the left clutch switch terminal; and none on the right switch terminal. Same situation except with clutch pulled in it showed continuity on both left and right switch terminals. When I put the kick stand in the lowered position (deployed) I had no continuity on either clutch switch terminal regardless of clutch lever position. Exact same results with ignition on.

Seems odd that we'd get just the opposite results unless we each are using different terminology for "going to ground".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:33:07 AM by fartymarty »

Offline katata1100

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 12:42:11 PM »
I just pulled up instructions for my mccruise and it said the clutch sensor wire at the hand grip is blue.
Maybe there was a change?