Author Topic: what's this bike worth?? 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R w/ Stage II Muzzy Engine Kit  (Read 12569 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Lot's of nice quality bits and mods done to it, it's local to me and has my attention...  ;)

What do you guys think? What's she worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300777623685&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Son of Pappy

Oh, about the same as a set of Ohlins and a bunch of powder coating ;)

Nice bike BTW, I think I'd go as high as 6k, but then again, I aint in the market (yet).

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Looks like a very nice bike, I would say it is worth every bit of $5,500 with all those mods.  Be careful if you end up buying it.  The seat looks like it has Armour All on it.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline ZG

• Arena
I troll these every now and then, never had one but did ride one of the 1100's a couple years back. They usually go in the $4k'sh range, so with the mods this one has if south of $5k can get her done I'm very intrigued... Am I thinking too low??  :-\

I do like that years colors, the black stripe instead of the blu/prple I think looks better IMO.  8)

Son of Pappy

Seems all the OEM items as well, jug and all.  I would go up to 6k but not a shock more ;)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Replying per Jay's request...

I had a basically stock ZRX-1100.  I did re-jet it (OMG what a difference that made) and add a bunch of farkles.  It was a fun bike with a lot of grunt while being affordable and insurance friendly.  A retro-like sport bike but with much better position.  There are several reasons I left it for the Concours:

1) The carbs were just screwed.  I suspect the f'ing ethanol they started putting in the fuel.  My race mechanic friend and I spent many hours on it trying to get a reliable fix.  Nope.  Then I took it to two shops, multiple times.  They either could not fix it or it would be "fixed" and then "break" again a few months later.  I swore I would NEVER own another carb vehicle.

2) Regardless of the windshield and how much electric clothing I wore, I would FREEZE TO DEATH on the bike at any temp below something like 58 degrees.  The bike was great in the summer, though.

3) Like my previous bike, I got sick to death of constantly cleaning, oiling, adjusting, and replacing the chain.

4) I wanted more storage, more electronics, and generally more modern.

5) It was getting old and the black paint was coming off and the alum was corroding and pitting.

Looks like he bumped the displacement, which would be even more fun.  Of course, there is the risk that it wasn't done right, or that it would lower the life or cause problems.

I have absolutely no idea what it would be worth, especially without seeing and riding it.

Why are you looking at it?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
Thanks Max, much appreciated bro. I knew you had one so I do value the input and insight, thank you.  :chugbeer:

This wouldn't be a replacement bike for me, just another horse in the stable if I could get it for a nice price, I agree winter riding on this would be chilly...

I am quite a retro guy though, so these always did intrigue me from my old school days, and this one appears to be built already with most of the things I'd probably want to do, so hence why I'm interested and the fact that it's local to me, Portland, and no shipping required...  :)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Thanks Max, much appreciated bro. I knew you had one so I do value the input and insight, thank you.  :chugbeer:

This wouldn't be a replacement bike for me, just another horse in the stable if I could get it for a nice price, I agree winter riding on this would be chilly...

Well, wasn't all that great in the Spring or Fall either, though :)   Of course, now I have the OPPOSITE problem, I can go great in the cold, but in the VA summer, it just kills me.

I am quite a retro guy though, so these always did intrigue me from my old school days, and this one appears to be built already with most of the things I'd probably want to do, so hence why I'm interested and the fact that it's local to me, Portland, and no shipping required...  :)

Well, go check it out!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

I buddy of mine has an '05 1200.  He spends time on the ZRX forum as well.  From what he has shared with me you will not like the suspension at all.

Re-read the ad.  The guy says that the previous owner says that the kit was professionally installed at a dealer.

He is pumping this bike up so much in his ad that it is bound to be let down when you actually see it.

I wouldn't pay more than KBB or NADA regardless of the upgrades.  The bike is probably finicky with all that is supposedly done to it.  Definitely should check it out in person and take a test ride.

I've ridden my buddies bike and it is a fun ride with the retro naked look.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline TJ

Used to own one of these myself. Forgot what year it was but it was the blue one, am thinking maybe 2003 or 2004.
Anyhow, great ride. Tons of power down low and in 1st or 2nd the front end is coming up if you wack the throttle open. I thought it handled well but I am not a track guy. Wind protection was not very good. Mine was stock other than some cosmetics and it ran perfectly. No problems with the carbs are all.

What to pay? Forget book values they are totally out of sync in todays world. In our neck of the woods cars, trucks, and bikes never sell for what NADA says they are worth. It is worth only what you are willing to pay for it. Go above $3,500 and doubt you can ever recover all your money.

But they are a fun bike! Especially for around town when speeds are not expected to go above 55-60.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
I would go back to buying the green plastic for the Connie instead.  ;D

I had to come back and modify this one. It took me a second but I got to thinking, a guy just spends $$$$ on the Connie to make it ride smoother and look better and now he wants another bike to ride  :nuts: :loco:

Offline ZG

• Arena
I would go back to buying the green plastic for the Connie instead.  ;D

I had to come back and modify this one. It took me a second but I got to thinking, a guy just spends $$$$ on the Connie to make it ride smoother and look better and now he wants another bike to ride  :nuts: :loco:

;D ;D ;D

Drugs?  ???

Son of Pappy

;D ;D ;D

Drugs?  ???

That explains EVERYTHING ;)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
 :rotflmao:

Offline feelergaugephil

Just noticed this thread, I cant knock the rex's, especially because I own a mint ZRX 1200R in the best color! BLUE!
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline twowheeladdict

Just noticed this thread, I cant knock the rex's, especially because I own a mint ZRX 1200R in the best color! BLUE!

Candy lime Green is the official replica color.  But blue is cute.  ;D
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
I would love to have one of these!

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
I would love to have one of these!

JimmyMac and I hang with the ZZR guys and they are all a blast to ride with.  There is a guy from here in Missouri that has a thrashed silver (2003 IIRC) and nobody can keep up with him when the road gets twisty. Great SPORT touring bikes.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Was obviously the pre-cursor for the C14, so bummed they quit making it......that bike is an animal, and it looks bad ass from the front or the rear.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline JP

I'd say it's probably worth about $4050.00......exactly.
I have a 99' 1100 I'm selling to make room for another bike. I really love the bike but don't ride it much here in Wisconsin.
Maxtog hit all the reasons on the head.